Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost in Da UP 2015 (Upper Peninsula, Michigan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the write up Tod. Great job as usual. Can't view the video though, says it is private. What kind of video were you taking? Was i passed out?
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• An ABSOLUTE PERFECT ENDING to this Rally was reading Todd's write-up. Sad u won't make it to XS-SE, but I definitely plan-on seeing you guys again in the Spring for whatever may happen.

Winter will allow me to throw some of those spring clamps on my vacuum hoses I have so there won't be anymore two-cylinder riding. Btw, I welded my frame yesterday. Spun a piece of 1" rod down to the ID of the frame, pounded it in between the two pieces, then welded the crack.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
        Can't view the video though, says it is private. What kind of video were you taking? Was i passed out?
        Why do ya think you can't see it Harry?
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          Winter will allow me to throw some of those spring clamps on my vacuum hoses I have so there won't be anymore two-cylinder riding.
          Just get some smaller diameter VACUUM hose that fits tight on those nipples and you won't have an issue. No clamps necessary.

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          Btw, I welded my frame yesterday. Spun a piece of 1" rod down to the ID of the frame, pounded it in between the two pieces, then welded the crack.
          That spot will be the strongest part of your frame now.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• I arrived home on Saturday (August 22nd) after spending some time in central Wisconsin visiting family and friends. I'll have a more complete write-up in a couple of days after I get my photos and video clips (mostly waterfalls) together.

it was an excellent rally and Eric did a good job of picking roads and sites both scenic and historic and a few roads that were just flat-out fun to ride.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

• Can nobody see the video or just Harry?
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

• Thursday:
                Arrived at Julie's Motor In , Highway 41 south of Houghton, on Thursday night. Checked in, cleaned up, unloaded the bike. First time ever trailering into an XS rally, feels odd. Went for a short ride, ended up eating dinner at a nearby steak house.

Friday:
                Went for a ride. I worked in a couple of waterfalls.

Bond Falls

Agate Falls

Waysides had views and history.

Chassell Cliff wayside.

Reynold-Corliss Steam Engine, 1912 - 1968.

I grew up in Wisconsin and the mid-west still has icons of small-town America.

Chassell General Store

Country church

Sidnaw Post Office

Along the way I saw a few things that just made me smile.

Advertisement for Houghton County Fair.

Fall colors beginning to appear.

Arrived back at the hotel and Erik The Red was setting up for Friday night's cook-out.

Erik The Red

Todd, Arlan, and Richard had arrived, so it was time to meet, eat, and drink.

Later I turned in for the night so to be ready for Saturday's big ride.
                Last edited by Jerry; 08-24-2015, 03:09 PM.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.

Comment

• Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  Can nobody see the video or just Harry?
                  I can't see it either. Figured it was just private.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                    Todd, Arlan, and Richard had arrived, so it was time to meet, eat, and drink.

Richard????????
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Saturday:
                      We rode into Houghton to get breakfast at the Suomi Restaurant.

Then it was on the road. One of the stops was at the old Calumet Brewery, once one of the largest breweries in the country. The remains are still impressive.

Another stop was at Eagle River Falls and historic bridge, where we viewed the bridge, built primarily out of wood, but it carries modern traffic.

Our route took us along the Upper Peninsula's north shore, where un-named beaches are very near the road.

Our route to us to Gay, where we had to stop at the Gay Bar.

One of the most scenic places we stopped was on an overlook (Brockway Mountain?) near Copper Harbor.

Brent with one of his ever-present cigars.

We ate dinner in Calumet at the Red Jacket Brewery, where the room was warm but the beer was cold and it tasted great.

Parked in Calumet.

Then it was back to Houghton for more talk and another night's rest.

Sunday.
                      We again ate breakfast in Houghton, a different place this time, an all-you-can-eat place. Erik took us out on a twisty road, lots of fun to ride, and we visited the north end of the shipping canal that bisects the UP. The lift bridge in Calumet spans this canal.

Erik had to leave so we ended up on the waterfront in Houghton and said our farewells. The rest of us headed back to the hotel, but a couple of us decided to spend most of the rest of day exploring a few roads we had not been on earlier. Brent and I took off and spent some time under a pavilion near Baraga, watching the ships and lake traffic go by and talking. It was a nice way to spend the afternoon. Later we took some back roads and returned to Houghton, where a bunch of us decided to eat at Joey's Fish Market. After dinner it was back to the Hotel for more talk and beer.

That about wraps it up. On Monday I headed for central Wisconsin to visit family and begin working my way back to Colorado. It was, in my opinion, a very successful rally and well worth the effort to be there. My thanks to Erik and the rest of the guys for the arrangements and hospitality.
                      Last edited by Jerry; 08-24-2015, 03:52 PM.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.

Comment

• Oops.. Forgot to post this last picture Harry took for me. Jerry's last picture reminded me.

And here's a link to that little video that should be working now. Again, nothing special...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKLnr7lqur4

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

• Got a pic of trbig walking around the beach Sunday kicking sand because he forgot his camera at the hotel.

Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            Got a pic of trbig walking around the beach Sunday kicking sand because he forgot his camera at the hotel.
                            Like a cat.. was looking for a place to poop after breakfast.

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

• Originally posted by trbig View Post
                              Like a cat.. was looking for a place to poop after breakfast.
                              EEEWWWW!!! Info overload!!!
                              Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 08-26-2015, 08:19 AM.
                              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                                Richard????????
                                Congrats on the new name change, Greg.

(I always knew that had to be your real name, though.)
                                What's the old saying? Actions speaker louder than words?

'82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
                                X