Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost in Da UP 2015 (Upper Peninsula, Michigan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in Da UP 2015 (Upper Peninsula, Michigan)

So here's the skinny on what I'm proposing for a rally this year. Friday afternoon/evening I'll plan on grilling up brats (probably burgers too) on at the motel. I'll likely just buy some sides at the local grocery store.

The motel usually fills up on August weekends, so don't wait too long to decide to make a reservation. See below for details.

Details:

When: August 14th-16th (or 17th too, if enough interest), 2015
    Where: Houghton, MI and the spectacular Keweenaw Peninsula
    What: XS11 Rally, of course
    Who: whoever's interested in riding some of Michigan's best motorcycle roads
    Why: because we'll be riding some of Michigan's best motorcycle roads

We'll be hitting US-41 up to Copper Harbor, Brockway Mountain Drive, M-26 through Eagle Falls, etc... as well as several other roads in the Keweenaw, along with a few spots of interest along the way. There's a ton of copper mining history up there, and a mine tour will be an option for those interested -probably a different mine than the one we hit last time. I'll be figuring/arranging food stops as I get a better idea of numbers. If there are folks interested in staying through to Monday, I'd be happy to continue the Keweenaw (or the UP in general) tour -there's a ton of cool stuff/places up there.

Accommodation information:
    Julie’s Motor Inn, (906) 482-5351 -mention the XS11 group when you register
    http://www.juliesmotorinn.com/
    1 bed - $65/night
    2 bed - $80/night
    Check-in after 3 pm, check-out 11 am.

If you'd prefer to camp, Hancock Beach is about 6-8 miles away from the motel, but it's over a bridge where you'll navigate grates -not great if you've had a couple at the motel. That's pretty much the only camping that's near Houghton.
    http://www.cityofhancock.com/recreat...campground.php
    15 tent sites available @ $14/day. Other sites available (prob RV sites) for $20-$22/day.

If you know you want to make a reservation at Julie's, call them and let them know you're part of the XS11 group. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, and I'm looking forward to it.

-Erik
    -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
    '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
    ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Mi

Sounds like fun, been 30 years since I've been in the UP. Wanna make a few rides this year but must be selective as to time and place, have much to work on !
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

This one is on my "To-do" list this year. It'll be good to see you again, Erik.

So two beds is $80... Wonder how much for two beds and 4 guys on the floor? lol.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Don, it sounds like it's high time you came back for a visit.

Tod, when I talked to her, she said that they don't charge per person anymore, rooms just a straight rate. I hope you'll be able to make it back up this year. I'm looking forward to a good weekend of riding some good roads.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
        '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"

Comment

... And some more Widowmaker Ale.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'm thinking that this may be my first Rally. I love the U.P., and I need to get acquainted with the XS community in-person.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I'm planning to be there Erik. I'd like to try
              partake in some of that Widowmaker Ale
              this time Tod.
              XJ1100 Ruby Red
              XS1100LH "Midnight"
              1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

I'm planning to be there Erik. I'd like to
                partake in some of that Widowmaker Ale
                this time Tod.
                XJ1100 Ruby Red
                XS1100LH "Midnight"
                1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Arlan, you only needed to say it once. Excited?

Sounds like Tod, Bob, Harry and I so far. We'll see who else will man up. I'll bet Brent will. He's got a new black Hardley.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I would love o make this rally. Not likely unless the lottery comes in. but we can dream.
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Eh? C'mon Phil. Just around the corner for you.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

North Central Rallye

Erik, Right now I am planning on making this one. Had a blast last time and thought you did a bang up job. Any idea how many are planning to do this one? Is anyone thinking of riding around the lake again? Will this be an all guy rallye or are any riding two up. . . . Bohn
                        Bohn
                        78 XS750SE Bought New In 78
                        80 XS1100SG "XS Combination"

Comment

Almost certain I'd like to attend. My gf cannot rode for 30 minutes, let alone a 9 hour ride up there. Funny it takes me longer to get to the North end of my state, than it does to get to a Southern stste.
                          1979 XS1100F
                          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Bohn, that's good to hear you're planning on coming up. And thanks for the kind words. Numbers are just who has replied to the thread as far as I know. No PMs from anyone. Nobody has mentioned bringing significant others, but I don't see why not. I'm fine with having a good time with whomever shows up.

No mention of riding around the lake from anyone else, and I hadn't planned on it, but that sounds like a good time. I might be interested in that. Will look further into it, and see where my vacation time stands.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                            '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"

Comment

Count me in. That Widowmaker Ale is worth the trip all by itself. lol.
                              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                              '82 XJ1100
                              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X