Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost in Da UP 2015 (Upper Peninsula, Michigan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A basic web page has been created and posted. Link is:
    http://www.appleattic.net/UP_2015/index.htm

Let me know of any additions or corrections that should be made.

Note:
    I have set my site to not respond to most search engines so it is a little hard to find. You might be better off to bookmark the URL if you plan to refer to it frequently.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks Jerry. That looks good. As planning firms up, I may give you more details for it in case folks want to refer to just that rather than sift through this thread.
      -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
      '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
      ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Reservation made.

Originally posted by Erik the Red View Post
        So here's the skinny on what I'm proposing for a rally this year. Friday afternoon/evening I'll plan on grilling up brats (probably burgers too) on at the motel. I'll likely just buy some sides at the local grocery store.

The motel usually fills up on August weekends, so don't wait too long to decide to make a reservation. See below for details.

Details:

When: August 14th-16th (or 17th too, if enough interest), 2015
        Where: Houghton, MI and the spectacular Keweenaw Peninsula
        What: XS11 Rally, of course
        Who: whoever's interested in riding some of Michigan's best motorcycle roads
        Why: because we'll be riding some of Michigan's best motorcycle roads

We'll be hitting US-41 up to Copper Harbor, Brockway Mountain Drive, M-26 through Eagle Falls, etc... as well as several other roads in the Keweenaw, along with a few spots of interest along the way. There's a ton of copper mining history up there, and a mine tour will be an option for those interested -probably a different mine than the one we hit last time. I'll be figuring/arranging food stops as I get a better idea of numbers. If there are folks interested in staying through to Monday, I'd be happy to continue the Keweenaw (or the UP in general) tour -there's a ton of cool stuff/places up there.

Accommodation information:
        Julie’s Motor Inn, (906) 482-5351 -mention the XS11 group when you register
        http://www.juliesmotorinn.com/
        1 bed - $65/night
        2 bed - $80/night
        Check-in after 3 pm, check-out 11 am.

If you'd prefer to camp, Hancock Beach is about 6-8 miles away from the motel, but it's over a bridge where you'll navigate grates -not great if you've had a couple at the motel. That's pretty much the only camping that's near Houghton.
        http://www.cityofhancock.com/recreat...campground.php
        15 tent sites available @ $14/day. Other sites available (prob RV sites) for $20-$22/day.

If you know you want to make a reservation at Julie's, call them and let them know you're part of the XS11 group. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, and I'm looking forward to it.

-Erik
        I have called Julies & reserved room with 2 beds.
        It is a great big beautiful world out there
        Brent in GA
        Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

I have a room reserved. Looking forward to riding this
          beautiful area again with you Erik.
          Anyone on the fence about this ride, you won't be disappointed.
          XJ1100 Ruby Red
          XS1100LH "Midnight"
          1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Ya know, this thread is pretty quiet for the rally being just a week away.

WTF?????

I'll be starting the 1200 mile journey on Tuesday, then only the next Monday and Tuesday to get home.

Looking forward to it...
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Have Fun and ride safe Greg, Only work, lack of $$ and a non running motorcycle keep me away from this rally this year
              Post lots of pictures.
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                Have Fun and ride safe Greg, Only work, lack of $$ and a non running motorcycle keep me away from this rally this year
                Post lots of pictures.
                Phil
                Too bad Phil, it'd be good to see you
                again
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Greg, you guys be careful and have a safe trip.

Gonna have to pass on this one and work.

Busier right now than I have been all year.

Talked to Bohn the other day. He said he won't be making this one either.

Have fun, and +1 about pics.

(Oh, btw... will you be taking a spare rear wheel splined hub this trip? )
                  '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                  "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                    (Oh, btw... will you be taking a spare rear wheel splined hub this trip? )
                    No but I got a longer tow rope.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I saw Brent yesterday. I know he's going. It's an eight day trip for him.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

I've been trying to get him to answer his email Marty. Trying to plan for the hotel.

Guess I should set aside an hour or so and call him.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          Guess I should set aside an hour or so and call him.
                          Do you think that would be enough? Brent gets on here once in a while, but he's not wasting time with this 21st century technology.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Hi all,
                            Was going to post something this past weekend, but time got away from me. I'll be heading to the UP on Wednesday for some camping before getting up to the Keweenaw on Thurs or Fri, so I'll probably not be on the forum after Wed. My number is (989) three70-0993 if you need to get ahold of me for any reason.

Brats and burgers on Friday evening at the motel (maybe around 6 or 7??), BYOB. Saturday ride, stopping at several local spots of interest. I do have to be back to work on Monday, so Sunday will be a travel day for me. Looking forward to seeing everyone. I have a 2 bed room reserved, so if someone needs a bed, you're welcome to the other one. Just let me know.

-Erik

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                            '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"

Comment

Hmmmmmmm...........we've got our room for F,S, and SU.

Oh well, we'll find something to do. Seems a little silly to ride 1050 miles for one day riding. Guess we'll just explore.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I'll be in the Porkies camping and was figuring on heading up to ride a couple legs of the planned route on Friday early afternoon. If you guys (or anyone else) are coming through that way earlier, give me a call and I'll be able to show you some more roads. I've got Sunday morning I can be further tour guide, but gotta start heading back by noon or 1.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                                '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"

Comment

Working...
                                X