2020 Colorado Rally, July 9th-13th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All right guys we're drawing nearer!

A few things we need to be aware of and be prepared for in this current environment with respect to the Covid-19 situation.

Everyone needs to have a mask or masks with them as the different counties and towns we will ride through or stop in all have different levels of requirement.

We will be in close proximity during our social time in the evenings and masks will be appropriate simply due to the many places we are coming from, the things we will be around and exposed to enroute, and in all cases, the aging population of our group.

Everyone has their own level of comfort, however I think you guys understand where I'm coming from.

Breakfasts are on your own each morning as they traditionally have been. I'd ask everyone has fed their belly when we meet for kickstands up each morning.

Lunch will be on the road. As it gets closer and it's more clear what restaurant capacities are, we can consider taking lunch with us on the bike or eat along the way. There is a grocery store in Westcliffe and a refrigerator at the cabin.

We can cook out supper at the cabin and do group meals like we've done in the past and assuming restaurants have some capacity in Westcliffe there are some local places to eat as well. For those that want to cook out everybody pitches in an equal amount if they are doing the cookout and we'll eat together. The past few years pretty much everyone has done the cookout but I understand the need to sit down and be served a good hot meal at a restaurant. Or if we're able we may decide to all go in to Westcliffe and eat supper together. We'll play the evenings by ear, but in all cases will have extended social time back at the cabin where guys are camping.

From the cabin where we are camping to Westcliffe is 5 miles, if you need to pick something up. The last little bit to the cabin is unpaved however it's not any problem but just so I remind you guys of that again.

In a nutshell let's get ready to ride taking into account the needs, said or unsaid, of others in the group. If we are prepared then we are looking out for each other and that's the kind of group we are.

With that said, my ZRX is eager to lead you guys again, it's my honor!
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Hi guys! I did a pre-ride today of what we will do for the guys that are there on Thursday for a Friday ride and also roads for what will do Saturday or Sunday, whichever day we aren't doing the Cottonwood pass loop which is the Crown Jewel this year.

Being that Cottonwood pass involves high elevation if there's a chance of bad weather, we will ride the day that looks the best.

Roads are in good shape! I'm excited for you guys to get out here on them. With that said, there are some stretches that have that have the rhythmic tha-thump, tha-thump, tha-thump from years of Colorado winters and summers over the cracks that have been filled but none the less give a constant reminder that they are there.

Guys that are going to camp, bring a ground cloth to go under your tent. The grass is basically high mountain prairie weed around the cabin and hasn't been coming back a lot since it was built in the last two years. The ground cloth will keep the bottom of your tent from getting dusty and dirty or muddy if it rains hard sometime.

The view from the deck looking west to the mountains is awesome, it's going to be a great place to hang out and socialize in the evenings!
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Sounds great Howard. Not this year, but maybe once more, as the years are running out for a cross country ride. Hope you guys have a great, safe time.
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

• I look forward to that year when you make the journey!
          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
            I look forward to that year when you make the journey!
            The ST1100 is always ready to roll, me not quite so much. Still doing the miles though, just not this summer.
            The XS continues to be sad sitting in the garage looking nice, but that's ok.
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

• Countdown continues

Sounds like Colorado Rally 2020 is a GO ! ! !

Something to look forward to. Seems enough businesses are now Open so we can travel without too much hassle.
              Be interesting to see how often it is required to mask up.
              T minus 28 and counting until we meet
              If all goes well, its T minus 25 for me

Jeff
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• That's from the 2016 rally in Canon City! I was running the Rifle fairing on the ZRX at the time. Maybe I oughta think about that again for better aerodynamics, LOL. The stock smaller fairing on the ZRX look so sharp though...

Guys that are planning to attend the rally, I think I've been in touch with everyone of you via text with the address where we'll be setting up Command Central for camping and the guys in the hotels have the info on the short ride to Command Central.

If I've missed anyone shoot me a PM here on the forum with your phone number and I'll get the info to you.

As always, post up here if you want to attend but have not made your intentions known.
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Originally posted by LoHo View Post
                  Hmmm...never been to Colorado...
                  Hope you plan to be at the Westcliffe Rally
                  Would be great if you can

and a belated Happy Birthday too

Hope to see you there

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Went for a ride today and the weather is just hitting that perfect time of year out here!

A little trivia for you guys about the Colorado Rallies...
                    Canon City - 5,965' elevation at the Royal Gorge.
                    Kremmling Rally - 7,313'
                    Gunnison Rally - 7,703'
                    Durango Rally - 6,512'

Westcliffe this year - 7,867' with its sister town of Silvercliffe half a mile East at 7,986'.

And now a "word from our sponsor"... Just a reminder that it's important to bring layers of clothing for riding. Could be in the high 40's to lower 50's in the morning, cool at over 12,000' such as Cottonwood pass depending on the day, and into the 90's at lower elevations we will be riding through.

Make sure you have good rain gear as rain can turn to hail at high elevation (or skip rain and go straight to hail).

Those infomercials are a reminder for guys that are bringing friends that haven't come before because everyone of you has seen just about every weather condition short of a straight up snow at this rally. Don't want anyone to get caught out either with the layering or rain gear and have an uncomfortable ride at some point.

For the Friday ride we'll put our heads together with the guys that arrive on Thursday and come up with a fun day.

Saturday and Sunday could be either of these rides, we'll play it by ear if there's any weather to consider especially on the Cottonwood Pass ride.

One ride will be doing a loop from Westcliffe that will include Skyline drive in Canon City, a ride up to the Royal Gorge Park to stretch our legs and take a look into a big old canyon in the ground, and a visit to Bishop's Castle based upon popular demand. This will be about a 135 mile day, plenty of time to stop and check out those sights.

Second ride will be Cottonwood Pass. We'll head north on Highway 69 then west on Highway 50 along the Arkansas River to Salida, up to Buena Vista and over the newly paved Cottonwood Pass to Taylor Park on the west side then down to Gunnison and take Highway 50 up over Monarch Pass as we drop back into Salida and then ride along the Arkansas River until we turn south to go back to Westcliffe. This will be just about a 250-mile day.

Get those bikes ready to go fellas!
                    Last edited by Bonz; 06-14-2020, 07:33 PM.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Went for a ride today and the weather is just hitting that perfect time of year out here!

Second ride will be Cottonwood Pass. We'll head north on Highway 69 then west on Highway 50 along the Arkansas River to Salida, up to Buena Vista and over the newly paved Cottonwood Pass to Taylor Park on the west side then down to Gunnison and take Highway 50 up over Monarch Pass as we drop back into Salida and then ride along the Arkansas River until we turn south to go back to Westcliffe. This will be just about a 250-mile day.

Get those bikes ready to go fellas!
                      Mapped this out and rode part of it via google street view..OFC its nothing like really riding it but that route looks just awesome...my envy meter is pegged...It seems like everything is at a minimum of 7000ft.. I wonder how my bike wwould run in the thinner atmosphere..it is carbeurated...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Yes, the scenery and the riding is great out this way!

Your bike would run fine, however it will be rich compared to your home elevation. Brant (Motoman) is the one to talk to an ST 1100 and would know exactly how to set it up for elevation.

Don't know how easy it is to get to your jets however you could drop one size on mains and be good to go. Wouldn't hurt anything on the ride out here and definitely would perk things up while you are out here.

Something for you to consider when you finally are able to make it out this way!
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Yes, the scenery and the riding is great out this way!

Your bike would run fine, however it will be rich compared to your home elevation. Brant (Motoman) is the one to talk to an ST 1100 and would know exactly how to set it up for elevation.

Don't know how easy it is to get to your jets however you could drop one size on mains and be good to go. Wouldn't hurt anything on the ride out here and definitely would perk things up while you are out here.

Something for you to consider when you finally are able to make it out this way!
                          Brant.. Dean R and myself are co- members on ST-Owners and XS11.com..So they'll definitely know the score...
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                            Brant.. Dean R and myself are co- members on ST-Owners and XS11.com..So they'll definitely know the score...
                            The score.......your ST would run perfect as is Ben......no stumble nor hesitation. That's just what ST's do, all the time. 3Phase will verify this as he rode my ST a good liitle bit.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• There you go, an ST1100 Guru that knows his stuff!
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• OK.....back to XS's.

Got my new rear tire mounted and balanced today. The E3 I have on there has about 8K miles and a plug. I've pushed it far enough I think.
                                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X