2018 Colorado Rally, July 12-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
    Here’s a thought for the name. XS11 2018 “Middle of the Mountains” Colorado Rally.

Since were going to be in physical view of the most 14,000 foot peaks anywhere in United States.

Sebastian, clear your private messages you have exceeded the allotment.

You and the T shirts sounds good, guys liked the wicking fabric on the T-shirts last year.
    Just cleared out some space
    79 SF

Comment

• to Cabin, or not to Cabin: that is the question

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind for me to drive 4,000 miles carrying sheets, blanket and pillows or suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune of staying in a motel,
      Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
      And enjoy the comforts and conveniences of the Best Western?
      to sleep;
      No more; yes more, and by a sleep to say we end
      With awakening followed by cold OJ, hot coffee & hot breakfast awaiting me
      (sure butchered Hamlet)

Cabin: I just can't see carrying sheets, pillow case, pillow for two weeks of LD riding to use for three nights in the cabin. Same reason I don't tent. So for now I'm going to stick with my reservation at the Best Western.

Though I might change to Rivers Mountain Motel just a mile west of the KOA campground along the Arkansas River. It only has 8 rooms and about $140ish with tax. Also has 2 cabin two room suites with kitchen but imagine that is well over $200 a night. http://www.riversmountainmotel.com/

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• For the love of the Great Pumpkin... Do you mean to say the ‘Wing is strapped for room to stow a summer sleeping bag, thin sheet to cover to cover a mattress and a nice inflatable/compressible pillow?

https://www.rei.com/product/846001/m...e-sleeping-bag

https://www.sunnysports.com/p-smjbla...trailspace.com

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...3EAWUQqA0IGSgC

Many more possibilities, internet search will turn up lots of things.
        Last edited by Bonz; 01-04-2018, 10:07 PM.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• I've got all that stuff from years of camping. Just tough to sleep with that constant sound of crunching gravel.
          Plus not sure which bike I will be riding yet. Two of the 11's I'm working on don't have bags.

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Yeah, once the Geezer Chain* starts rolling out of their beds/tents at 3am one at a time to relieve themselves, lots of gravel crunching going on under foot... .

*Proper credit and accolades MUST be given for such a glorious term. This description was first seen by me, as used by 3Phase in a SE Rally post.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
              Yeah, once the Geezer Chain* starts rolling out of their beds/tents at 3am one at a time to relieve themselves, lots of gravel crunching going on under foot... .

*Proper credit and accolades MUST be given for such a glorious term. This description was first seen by me, as used by 3Phase in a SE Rally post.
              ROFL!

I should mention that the KOA doesn't have any bedding for the cabins.

There is a Wallyworld in town to buy cheap sleeping bags, pillows, and whatever for the weekend. If there's nowhere to leave them at the KOA office afterward to give to other needy campers there's probably someone or somewhere in town that can use them instead of hauling them back out on the road.

(crunch)(crunch)(crunch)(crunch)
              -- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                ROFL!

I should mention that the KOA doesn't have any bedding for the cabins.

There is a Wallyworld in town to buy cheap sleeping bags, pillows, and whatever for the weekend. If there's nowhere to leave them at the KOA office afterward to give to other needy campers there's probably someone or somewhere in town that can use them instead of hauling them back out on the road.

(crunch)(crunch)(crunch)(crunch)
                Thumbs up!
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Rally Web Page

First draft of the 2018 Colorado Rally is up and running. The link is:

http://www.appleattic.net/BuenaVista/BuenaVista.htm

More details (routes, T-shirts, attendees) will be added as they are firmed up.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

• GOOD GOD! A cabin or motel will cost more for one night than the camping gear for the whole weekend. A no brainer for a bunch of cheap azzes who won't even buy a newer bike than a 35 year old rice burner.

Just sayin'.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                      Hey guys,
                      As far as I know at this point, Bohn & I intend to be there...
                      Wherever "there" ends up being...?

We will need motel accomodations, as usual.

Hope to get to see you guys again!
                      Bob
                      Bob, good the hear you and Bohn intend to head this direction for the rally!
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        GOOD GOD! A cabin or motel will cost more for one night than the camping gear for the whole weekend. A no brainer for a bunch of cheap azzes who won't even buy a newer bike than a 35 year old rice burner.

Just sayin'.
                        Well, does a cage and motel fit in there somewhere?. I'll just keep the Venturer covered in man-cave for time being.
                        Last edited by motoman; 01-13-2018, 04:54 PM.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Yeah, the hotel/motel $$ situation at the peak of summer at that part of the state is more than recent past Colorado rally’s for sure. I hope that doesn’t discourage guys from attending. The KOA group site was less expensive than I had envisioned and plenty of room for guys to stay there.

You guys can get $.50 foam ear plugs at Home Depot to quell the snoring noise, it’s an easy thing to split a room and then the cost is back down.

Here’s a way for enjoyable tent camping if you are contemplating attending and want to be comfy yet economical. Get an inflatable mattress at Walmart, get a 2 person tent at Walmart, a sleeping bag at Walmart and a large 2L bottle of Gatorade. Drink the 2L bottle the first day you are in Colorado to get hydrated. Take the empty bottle into the tent and you can geezer pee into that all night long. Empty in the morning, rinse it out, ready the next night.

Thanks to the couple guys who have sent (PayPal hbonser611@gmail.com) their small $10 group site deposit. I know it’s early, it’s not much and that helps me feel confident in numbers for the rally and if I need to add more group space as soon as possible to offset the higher cost of motel/hotel.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• I'm out of the Colorado rally. I'm planning a couple weeks up and down the left coast for my 60th birthday in August and can't fit both trips in.
                            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                            1981 LH

Comment

• I hope you enjoy your birthday trip! Will miss you in Colorado. You still a member of Eagle riders? Or whatever the club was you joined last year?
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Working a bit on my tentative cross country travel plans for July not that i'm anxious or anything.

At this point is there any plan to setup Rally Camp HQ at KOA on Thursday and maybe take a Friday small group day ride? -or-
                                is it more likely that HQ will not be setup until Friday as that is likely when most will arrive?

Last two crossings were the circuitous path via KY, IN, IL, IA & NE and KY, IN, IL, MO & KS.
                                This time thinking will go back to a circuitous (and very humid) westward-ho wandering via AL, MS, southern AR, southern OK & TX panhandle into Raton NM.

Just wondering when to show up if i can make it. Which day the CO locals planning to set up HQ?

I like to ride CO12 out of Trinidad so will likely be heading north after a stop in coffee stop LaVeta and lunch in Crestone - either Thurs or Fri

Jeff
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                                X