No announcement yet.

2018 Colorado Rally, July 12-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My plan is to be there Thursday and get set up. By starting the rally on Thursday I was thinking most guys would try to make it by then and Friday would be a light ride day or a day to hang out and rest after long Journeys and ride Saturday and Sunday on traditional day rides. Remaining guys showing up on Friday if Thursday didn't work for them.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post

I like to ride CO12 out of Trinidad so will likely be heading north after a stop in coffee stop LaVeta and lunch in Crestone - either Thurs or Fri

Jeff
      Ever stop at Capulin Volcano Jeff. I thought it was pretty cool, out in the middle of nowhere.
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

• Originally posted by DeanR View Post
        Ever stop at Capulin Volcano Jeff. I thought it was pretty cool, out in the middle of nowhere.
        I rode up the volcano in Sept 2015 on my way home from Hurricane Utah (Zion). Guess that was my zig-zag ride via Bryce Canyon, Escalante Staircase stayed in Hankville. Then Moki Dugway, Million Dollar Highway. Great Sandunes, Johnson Mesa, cowboy event at Folsom NM and then the volcano. Remember staying in Mancos and Walsenburg plus ??

agree, Capulin Volcano worth the time to drive up
        the hike up the cindercone provides some great views too
        Think this is looking SW out towards the Boy Scout Ranch at Cimarron NM

Not a good place to go off the pavement Photo doesn't show how steep and FAR the drop-off really is

Great Sand Dunes is certainly an amazing spectacle at sunset
        ]

Fun Trip, but aren't they all? Heck, don't we all get a kick out of just riding to the grocery store? Planning to stay in Pampa Texas and then head to Raton. So i hope to stop at the volcano and ride across Johnson Mesa again from Folsom though mid-Sept is much more manageable than mid-July driving across the middle of the US.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Rivers Mountain Motel

FWIW:

Like with Bonz waiting to get 2018 Rates from KOA; I finally got in touch with the Rivers Mountain Motel that is a mile down the road from KOA. The small but nice 10 room motel. Was curious about their 2018 rates. I heard back from Rose.

http://www.riversmountainmotel.com/

Rooms are $150 a night
          Kitchenette is $165 a night
          3 bed cabin is $300 a night ($100 each so not too awful)

And the place is right on the Arkansas River just up from where US24 and US285 split.

The closest motel for anybody interested. Don't think they have coffee or breakfast but you do get a coffeemaker and a ceiling fan. Maybe a good place to park a trailer too. The price is about the same as Super 8 in BV.

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
            Working a bit on my tentative cross country travel plans for July not that i'm anxious or anything.

At this point is there any plan to setup Rally Camp HQ at KOA on Thursday and maybe take a Friday small group day ride? -or-
            is it more likely that HQ will not be setup until Friday as that is likely when most will arrive?

Last two crossings were the circuitous path via KY, IN, IL, IA & NE and KY, IN, IL, MO & KS.
            This time thinking will go back to a circuitous (and very humid) westward-ho wandering via AL, MS, southern AR, southern OK & TX panhandle into Raton NM.

Just wondering when to show up if i can make it. Which day the CO locals planning to set up HQ?

I like to ride CO12 out of Trinidad so will likely be heading north after a stop in coffee stop LaVeta and lunch in Crestone - either Thurs or Fri

Jeff
            I am shooting to be there Thursday, hopefully work allows me to take those days off!
            79 SF

Comment

• After the fun last year, I was thinking of trying for two in a row, but no luck. I'll not be able to make it this year...but maybe next. Have a great time and ride safe! (I do have a flight to an island in April)
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

• Greg, you gonna come out again? I have PM’d Harry, haven’t heard back. Can you touch base with him and his brother-in-law?

Bob, have you and Bohn made reservations yet?

Tcoop, how are things going? Hope you can make it.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Penciled in Howard. I'm pretty sure Harry is too. Not sure about Rich.

If Rich goes Harry will probably trailer, I prefer to ride. The road trip on the bike is a big part of the experience as far as I'm concerned. A long, boring ride in a truck seat isn't an adventure.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• We've been trying to get trbig to get a bike on the road too but he's too busy taking Caribbean cruises.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Cool beans!
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Looks like I wont be making it this year. My daughter has a writers symposium she wants to go to in Ceder City in June that will eat up my trip budget for this year. I will have to trailer the bike with us so that my wife and I can ride while my daughter is listening to her favorite authors.
                        Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                        80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                        82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                        82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                        82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                        72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                        72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

• Bummer to hear you won’t make it, however that sounds like a very great thing you’re going to be doing with the family.

I really enjoyed and appreciated you making the effort to come the past couple years. It’s a lot of riding especially this past year with the late start after a funeral.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Is there a website to consolidate information? There are a lot of posts here...
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

• Yes, Jerry posted it in an earlier post. I don’t know how to make a link in every post so that it’s easily found. Maybe I can add the link to my signature. Starting a day earlier on Thursday.

Edit: Rally Link is now in my signature!

July 12-16, 2018
                              Buena Vista, Colorado area.
                              Command Central is The KOA just south of BV.
                              Last edited by Bonz; 02-14-2018, 03:57 PM.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                                Yes, Jerry posted it in an earlier post. I don’t know how to make a link in every post so that it’s easily found. Maybe I can add the link to my signature. Starting a day earlier on Thursday.

Edit: Rally Link is now in my signature!

July 12-16, 2018
                                Buena Vista, Colorado area.
                                Command Central is The KOA just south of BV.
                                The link provides the basic info. Thanks Bonz
                                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                                X