2018 Colorado Rally, July 12-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
    Leadville from Buena Vista almost looks like a dead end unless.... up north on the road to Frisco/Dillon Reservior, then back down south on CO-9 to Buena there is a great pit stop:

Pit Stop triumvirate on Colorado 91 North: Mt Arkansas --> Mt Democrat --> Mt Clinton
    Now, that type of group ride would definitely make for a L-O-N-G riding day!
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Scott, BV to Leadville, then Leadville around to Breckenridge and back to BV via Hwy 9 and Hwy 285 is a nice 135 mile loop.

BV to Aspen via Independance pass, back around to Leadville and back to BV is a ride of around 205 miles. Would get to ride through the pretty magnificent Glenwood Canyon on I-70 as part of that.

A southern route that has some great riding would be from BV down to Saguache, then Highway 114 north until it joins Highway 50 just east of Gunnison. Then Highway 50 back over Monarch Pass back to BV for around a 200 mile day.

Another ride is BV to Jefferson Colorado via US 285, south on the Tarryall road to Lake George, then we take the back roads (we rode these for the two Canon City based Colorado rally’s) down to the Royal Gorge area and West on highway 50 along the Arkansas River to Salida and north on to 285 back to BV. About 200 miles as well.

The back roads from Lake George area to the Royal gorge area are where Harry penned his famous quote “what’s the penalty for 60 over in Colorado?” Although I think those limits were explored again last summer at the Kremmling rally...

Even with 200 mile days, some of the riding is open road and the miles eat up. Lots of other ride options as well!

Cottonwood Pass road paving is still under construction, and may or may not be open for the rally as it is projected to finish up in the fall 2018.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

LMAO! I think that 60 over day was when I was kicking back at the campground after doing a rear brake fix but I do remember hearing about it after y'all got back to the campground.

Leadville loop seems like it's mostly valley riding, not too technical and no major mountain passes that would require special air breathing apparatus with bottled oxygen for me and the bike.

The Cottonwood ride would be fun too if it's finished when we have the rally but I really don't want to go play with tar and oiled gravel if they're still working on it.
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

It's the Eastern side of Cottonwood pass they are starting on in the spring. It's about 18 miles worth.

Yeah, you "used up" the rear brake on the SG and heated up the fluid. I think what you discovered was the fluid level was topped off pretty high. We did however monkey futz with that thing to get the brake arm stuck back in its rubber grommet. I really appreciated you finding that the arm had not been properly put into the grommet by me at the last tire change.

Yeah, "60 over" was on the way back from climbing Pike's Peak. You and Captonzap rode up around Cripple Creek if I recall.

Your new Harley has power to burn... You will love riding it in the mountains.

I'll get out and do some preseason scouting in the early summer, this is only a short 2 hours from my house. I've been on all of those roads many times but not many times on a bike.
          Last edited by Bonz; 12-27-2017, 08:17 PM.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Cripple Creek! Yeah, that was it; had a blast! Mike's suggested I get Columbo back on the road... (sigh) it'll probably work but the cracked/repaired frame is a downer, I don't trust it.

So, Buena Vista is the spot? I should check for a room at hotels/motels/YWCA?
            -- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I'm going to be able to check camping areas after the first of the year when all of the places are opened up again and announce their rates. Then I will know 100% once I have a block set aside or reserved.

Ultimately, yes, BV is the area. You just understand what I'm saying.
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Pit Stop triumvirate on Colorado 91 North: Mt Arkansas --> Mt Democrat --> Mt Clinton
                RIDE OF MY LIFE. FRIGHTENING .............
                Right there from the Climax Mine and that Milling operation (you marked Pit Stop)
                at quitting time for the day shift. Going home to Leadville.
                Unbelievable speeds these people were driving on that straight road down the mountain. Scared the heck out of me. Like a NASCAR race passing and such. A day full of molybdenum ore must make you anxious to get home, or first to the bar?

recommendation: don't drive southbound on CO91 past the Climax mine at quitting time. Not the best place for a measly motorcycle of any cc.

Jeff
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

So, Buena Vista is the spot? I should check for a room at hotels/motels/YWCA?
                  Hi Scott,
                  Entry to the YWCA requires no reservation but rather an invitation and involves darkness and the back door......at least it did in my day.
                  I like the hidden gems in your posts.
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Iss a family site, Jeff, some things you just don't put in pictures of The Pit! Stop....
                    -- Scott
                    _____

Comment

• Command Central: Buena Vista KOA

Happy New Year!

Rally dates: July 12-16 (Thursday through Monday)

Here’s the website: https://koa.com/campgrounds/buena-vista/

Group site is $25 per night based on two people, additional people are $12.50 each. The site is good to handle 12 -14 people in tents. If we need more we can work that out as time goes on.

Deposit due is based on 4 nights @ $25 per night = $100 total. I will get that taken care of. No further amounts are due until we show up and have the true headcount.

Please, guys that are gonna camp shoot me $10 each via PayPal that will get us pretty close to start and is appreciated.

Please do it AS A GIFT otherwise I don’t get the full amount, PayPal takes a cut.

PayPal: hbonser611@gmail.com

You must call to reserve a cabin as part of the group, CANNOT be done from the website. (1)-719-395-8318

Helen is the contact and has us listed as the “Yamaha Group”.

The cabins/wall tents/tipi’s are available and based upon which ones you choose anywhere from approx $59 a night to $80 per night based on double occupancy. Additional people are permitted depending on the capacity of the cabin and add a few dollars per night.

These cabins/wall tents/tipi’s will go fast so you must get on it NOW.

Otherwise hotels are about $150 a night for July.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• KOA and Paypal: done and done.

Cabin 10 for 4 nights.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

• Thanks Scott, you didn’t need to do the $10 since you are doing a cabin. Deposit is for guys doing the tents on the group site.

I’d be happy to refund it or put toward a T-shirt.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Ten bucks is ten bucks, eh!

Okay, t-shirt money then.

Are there any ideas about what kind of shirts we'll have this year? I'll need a long and shirt sleeve and hopefully, they'll be the same stretchy-cool material as last year.
                            -- Scott
                            _____

Comment

• Bonz,

Thanks for squaring away the site, I hate logistics things like that. Haha.

All of the proposed riding spots are right in my backyard and as soon as it warms up I will ride/scout the routes (hopefully with Bonz in tow).

As far as shirts, I am going to head those up and will work with some of my screen printing buddies. Generally, I can get shirts made for approximately $5-$7 a piece. Once we get a head count I will see how many shirts I need to get printed (long sleeve and short sleeve). Going to talk to a graphic designer friend of mine to put together a slick looking logo for 2018. Now, I just have to come up with a cool name for the rally

-Sebastian
                              79 SF

Comment

• Here’s a thought for the name. XS11 2018 “Middle of the Mountains” Colorado Rally.

Since were going to be in physical view of the most 14,000 foot peaks anywhere in United States.

Sebastian, clear your private messages you have exceeded the allotment.

You and the T shirts sounds good, guys liked the wicking fabric on the T-shirts last year.
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X