XS Southeast 2018 Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • jetmechmarty
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Originally posted by 3Phase
    My '79SF, '80G and the XJ all had broken center stands. It took a few years for Columbo but it broke and tipped over on top of me one night as I was putting it on the stand.


    Flash highlights every single flaw and speck of rust/oxidation/whatever. My XJ really doesn't look that bad in normal light but flash is not kind to it. Obviously, it needs to be stripped down to the frame again, then repainted and polished.

    Ah Thankyou..I am not adept at photographic technolgies...

    Leave a comment:


  • jetmechmarty
    replied


    Leave a comment:


  • 3Phase
    replied
    Well, my '79F parts bike frame and 'stand isn't cracked but would cost a small fortune to re-register it in California or it'd be up and running already.

    Leave a comment:


  • BA80
    replied
    I know XJ's are bad about that. Tods was broken forever and I've known a couple others with XJs that were broken too. They break right at the weld.

    I don't recall any XSs though.

    Leave a comment:


  • 3Phase
    replied
    My '79SF, '80G and the XJ all had broken center stands. It took a few years for Columbo but it broke and tipped over on top of me one night as I was putting it on the stand.


    Flash highlights every single flaw and speck of rust/oxidation/whatever. My XJ really doesn't look that bad in normal light but flash is not kind to it. Obviously, it needs to be stripped down to the frame again, then repainted and polished.

    Leave a comment:


  • BA80
    replied
    Scott is kinda off the wall most of the time. It's a Can'taffordya thing.

    He's thinking of the XJ. They always break right around the center stand mounts.

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Originally posted by 3Phase
    Make sure to check the welds on the center stand and the tail stubs/signal housings.

    And for the love of everything the wallet holds dear, do not use flash photography unless you want to ride the entire bike into a pit of Evapo-Rust and leave it there for a few hours, then strip it down and repaint everything afterward.
    not sure I understand...please elaborate further..

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Originally posted by jetmechmarty
    Did you invite him/her to the rally?
    of course..it's Mark Lew...LOL

    Leave a comment:


  • 3Phase
    replied
    Make sure to check the welds on the center stand and the tail stubs/signal housings.

    And for the love of everything the wallet holds dear, do not use flash photography unless you want to ride the entire bike into a pit of Evapo-Rust and leave it there for a few hours, then strip it down and repaint everything afterward.

    Leave a comment:


  • jetmechmarty
    replied
    Originally posted by madmax-im
    .. oh I know someone with a Venture Royale...
    Did you invite him/her to the rally?

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Originally posted by jetmechmarty
    Yes, I'm yanking your chain. I'm also dead serious. If you have a 50cc Yamaha motorcycle/scooter that is 25 or more years old, this is your rally. Same as if you have a Venture Royale.
    Yeah I get it ..ha ha...who knows whats gonna happen.. oh I know someone with a Venture Royale...

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Originally posted by 3Phase
    Man, I hope you can make it, Ben!

    I have my Yamahas and ride the XJ11 but the two XS11s are languishing. The bikes are safe and legal and all that stuff but they have moved beyond me, not the other way around.

    All of them have cracked and torn frames that have been repaired, Columbo's been welded up three or four times now, I can't remember. The engines, drive trains, suspensions, electrical and other stuff is (mostly) fine or freshly rebuilt but I'm not particularly motivated to buy more uncracked frames that are pushing forty years to hang them from.
    Hey Scott..I plan to be there..I am so looking forward to it...I'll be coming with the Mark Lew crew. Thats a pretty amazing history with your bikes..I was the original owner of my XJ1100 and i bought it new and kept it close to 30 yrs. Then with Swampthing since 2013...So now its getting a new lease on life..i hope Adrian checks the integrity of all the frame welds prior to any re-assy. I cant imagine the amount of work to do a full frame transfer...its certainly waaay beyond my skills. Merry Christmas...

    Leave a comment:


  • 3Phase
    replied
    Originally posted by madmax-im
    Gee Thanks Marty...always feeling the love. Many folks have moved beyond the XS11s..Bikes may change but friends are for life..Merry Christams
    Man, I hope you can make it, Ben!

    I have my Yamahas and ride the XJ11 but the two XS11s are languishing. The bikes are safe and legal and all that stuff but they have moved beyond me, not the other way around.

    All of them have cracked and torn frames that have been repaired, Columbo's been welded up three or four times now, I can't remember. The engines, drive trains, suspensions, electrical and other stuff is (mostly) fine or freshly rebuilt but I'm not particularly motivated to buy more uncracked frames that are pushing forty years to hang them from.

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Adrian..that sounds awesome..Kurt already knows Swampthing all too well.
    You do know I bought 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S?
    BTW I have that sissy bar back pad..goes with the bike..

    Leave a comment:

Working...