XSive Rider's @ Iron Horse 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
    ..it was a hoot....combined with the Cherohala and that was a fun day. ..
    Yup, that was a very good ride indeed. Lots-O'-Fun. Remember Sunday am, a bit of a late start from the IronHorse, then with quick gas stop at the Tuskeegee - we were at Deal's Gap around 11AM for shopping & pics. Traffic was very light even by 12:15 when we stopped at the overlook on 'The Dragon'. After that stop to Tellico Plains TN, lunch, waterfalls and the Cherohala Skyway traffic was just about non-existent, except for that dude(s) in the little tan old beat-up pickup on the Cherohala Skyway that was trying to block the bikes from passing.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
      Yup, that was a very good ride indeed. Lots-O'-Fun. Remember Sunday am, a bit of a late start from the IronHorse, then with quick gas stop at the Tuskeegee - we were at Deal's Gap around 11AM for shopping & pics. Traffic was very light even by 12:15 when we stopped at the overlook on 'The Dragon'. After that stop to Tellico Plains TN, lunch, waterfalls and the Cherohala Skyway traffic was just about non-existent, except for that dude(s) in the little tan old beat-up pickup on the Cherohala Skyway that was trying to block the bikes from passing.

Jeff
      Yeah he tried to run me off the road as I was passing him....good thing I was un-armed
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        9/28-9/30 correct? I know Brent will be there so there will be at least 1 familiar face.
        Greg,

You'll have a lot of friends there. You have the correct dates. I will be staying Sunday night. I'm sure there will be others doing the same.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Thanks Marty, I look forward to meeting you and the others. I hope I can swing it.

I know finacially I won't have a problem but I have to take care of my brothers at work. You know.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

yes, Sept 28,29,30

9/28-9/30 correct?
            Yes,
            we all start arriving during the day (morning-noon-afternoon-evening) on Friday September 28th. Likely some even show up a day or two before. Rides are Saturday Sep29 and Sunday Sep30. Some are staying over Sunday night 9/30 while others head back home Sunday evening to be at work on Monday. Most staying at the IronHorse Motorcycle Lodge while others are a few miles away at the Tuskeegee Motel (which has Robbinsville address but it really is on NC Hwy28 in Stecoah).

Would be great if you could make it. Mountain Roads, People, Scenery, Bikes are all great.

Jeff

78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

CU in the Fall!

9/28-9/30 correct? I know Brent will be there so there will be at least 1 familiar face.
              I am planning on going. Likely will camp. If I can find big tent, extra folks in same tent are only $5. Last year, I took small tent. As I was considering setting it up in the rain, bed in bunkroom came available for $30, (just $15 more than camping). For some reason, if it rains they get cancellations.

The roads - Some of the best in the country. Tail of the Dragon is not the only good road there. Most in the whole area resemble the "Pig Trail in AR". Scenery is beautiful, Grand vistas are generally limited. Distant Horizon is usually NOT visible from road. It is different from out west. Twistys - Some diminishing radius curves, many sharper than 90 degrees (one in the Smokey mountains keeps going around for so long that it crosses under itself.) Technical as you want. Have fun, but do not leave any bike parts hanging in the "Tree of Shame"... If chipmonks or squirrels run directly in front of you, Maintain Course & Speed. They usually jump out of the way...

Many riders come long distances, from NY, Ontario, PA... year after year. It is that GOOD. (I Must order good looking shirt)
              I sure hope you do not miss it, but if you do, BNE can tell you about it...
              It is a great big beautiful world out there
              Brent in GA
              Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

I haven't followed this thread at all and didn't even know anything about it until a day or two ago. Anyone know if there's any rooms still available? It'd probably be better at the Iron Horse. I know the rooms are a bit higher, but it would be cheaper than getting pulled over if I had a few with the guys then rode back to where TC is staying.

A few questions... Instead of hauling a tent and sleeping stuff 900+ miles each way, in case of rain, are the tents they set up for you waterproof? Sleeping with wet blankets and putting on wet clothes sucks. Also, do the campsites have a shower?

And Ben, have you found a roommate yet? How much are the rooms? That would be the best option... maybe both Greg and I in the room if there's a spot on the floor for my air mattress... he can have the bed. What day did you plan on leaving out? If you guys plan on riding Sunday, leaving out Monday morning for me would be best... so three nights lodging? (Fri-Mon)
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hey Tod....

Glad to see you are coming...I was gonna share a tent site with Greg but you are welcome too. Or if y'all get a room thats ok too I dont want to come between ya

Greg and I are planning to stop and meet up Thursday night in Little Rock then ride rest of way Fri morning. Can you make that? Already got hotel there with two doubles that you can share as well. Same plan on return overnight in Little Rock Sun then home Monday.

Call if you need to.

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I'd rather stay in a room if Ben (Or anybody else) has an open spot on the floor for an air mattress at the Iron Horse since it looks like where most will be staying. Since Brent doesn't drink, maybe one of you could snuggle with him on the back seat and let him give you a ride back to the camp site? lol.

Maybe Ben will post back soon. If the other bed he has is at least a queen, you and Greg might share a bed (What happens in NC stays in NC, right? Do they have banjos there?) and me on the floor... a room divided by 4 people gets pretty economical.. unless you just want to camp or Ben doesn't want a mob like that in his room. Good thing about Ben though... he can pull out his hearing aids and probably not care what we do at that point. lol.

For me, I would probably still back out from the weather. Sept is iffy.. and I don't feel like riding 2,000 miles in the rain.
                    Last edited by trbig; 07-25-2012, 09:22 AM.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

Kitty!

Lol...ok i'm easy. I am just looking forward to some riding vs wrenching.

Its not gonna rain on us. Knock on wood.

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

Knock on wood.

English cigarette.

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Tod,

If you camp, the tent sites are right behind the lodge, in fact, they are between the lodge and cabins. You will sleep beside a babbling brook. Beside the lodge is a very nice bath house. As far as how waterproof the tents are, you'll have to call the Iron Horse. You need to check availability anyway. There may still be beds in either bunkhouse, or somebody is still looking to share.

We have yet to have our weekend washed out. We suffered a rainy day in 2010, but still had a great time. See the FB page. XS Southeast

I will be staying Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. My wife will be there those nights as well. I went to the first rally in 2002. I have not missed one. Several others have not missed either. Some of those who come every year travel a great distance. It's that much fun!

Don't forget to order your tee shirt!

Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                            A few questions... Instead of hauling a tent and sleeping stuff 900+ miles each way, in case of rain, are the tents they set up for you waterproof? Sleeping with wet blankets and putting on wet clothes sucks. Also, do the campsites have a shower?

And Ben, have you found a roommate yet? How much are the rooms? That would be the best option... maybe both Greg and I in the room if there's a spot on the floor for my air mattress... he can have the bed. What day did you plan on leaving out? If you guys plan on riding Sunday, leaving out Monday morning for me would be best... so three nights lodging? (Fri-Mon)
                            I don't mind sleeping in a tent. From the sound of it they are right there at the lodge so drunk riding won't be a problem.

I did read that correct didn't I? The tents are already set up so I don't need to bring one?

Tod is correct about sharing the room to make it cheaper on everyone. If there is room I would rather stay in a room myself. When we go on trips we never sleep less than 4 in a room. Well, if we can sleep through Tods snoring and Harry's flatulence that is.
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I did read that correct didn't I? The tents are already set up so I don't need to bring one?
                              That is correct, BUT you must make those arrangements in advance.

www.ironhorsenc.com
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Greg the tent site I reserved was for just the site...I planned on bringing a small tent, not the behemoth three room tent from the MoM Rally.

I am open to change if needed, let me know.

John

Comment

Working...
                                X