No announcement yet.

XSive Rider's @ Iron Horse 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still have an empty bed in my room...I am not sure what size it is but there are 2 beds...so whom ever is first to actually claim it is welcome to share the space...the room shares a bathroom with an adjoining room across the hall ...IDK I've not seen this set up but i know Gary and Bruce are on the other side...and Tod is quite correct...once i pull the the hearing aid(s) out I'm dead to the world...and if 3rd person wants to sleep on the floor its okay with me...I've not seen these accomodations so I cant say how much room there is. But another guy in my bed aint happenin'... I plan to head out Fri a.m. and arrive in the afternoon...stay thru sunday night and leave Mon. a.m.....actually I made the reservation before I left from last years rally because marty wanted as many to reserve as possible so we could return the rally to the dates that were previously used during the T.W.O. years...last year was our 1st year at the Iron horse thus we did not get our preferred dates so this year we will...
    So I dont actually know the costs...duh...I better find out quick...
    Last edited by madmax-im; 07-25-2012, 02:18 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
      I still have an empty bed in my room...I am not sure what size it is but there are 2 beds...so whom ever is first to actually claim it is welcome to share the space...the room shares a bathroom with an adjoining room across the hall ...IDK I've not seen this set up but i know Gary and Bruce are on the other side...and Tod is quite correct...once i pull the the hearing aid(s) out I'm dead to the world...and if 3rd person wants to sleep on the floor its okay with me...I've not seen these accomodations so I cant say how much room there is. But another guy in my bed aint happenin'...

Some rooms have a single queen.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Camping

Pretty sure the folks @ Iron Horse wont set anyone up in a tent that wasnt waterproof...all the tent sites are very neat...but be advised that at this time of year it will be getting rather chilly at night and in the mornings...also riding around during the day we will be changing elevations and temps will coincide with those changes...Brent said there were no vistas views but he forgot the Cherohala Skyway which unlike Tail of The Dragon is a mountain ridge running road and will get to over 5000 ft...so its possible you might be a little cold if you're not prepared... and theres plenty of scenic places to stop and take it all in...
        Heres one scenic overlook off the Cherohala...
        Last edited by madmax-im; 07-25-2012, 02:28 PM.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Camping.....

As was mentioned...if you're planning to camp and you dont want to bring anything 'cept your sleeping bag...the folks at Iron Horse will setup the tent for you...just about as hassle free as it gets and yes they have some nice showers for he campers and people in the bunkhouse...last year I was in the bunkhouse and used the 'public showers...they were quite decent and the setup is pretty nice too.
          BTW it'll be mighty fine to have the Midwestern boys here at this rally...as i was trying to tempt y'all last year...great roads...folks and food. Dont get much better than that.
          Last edited by madmax-im; 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM.
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Vistas...

Yes. Don't forget warm clothes!
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Ben, I just talked with Brent, and I am planning on rooming with him in a tent. I did call the lodge and there's still one single room left with a queen bed. Also, the tents they have are just the cheap nylon wally-world style tents which I've found to be about as rain-proof as a screen door. Checking on a couple options with that.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                Ben, I just talked with Brent, and I am planning on rooming with him in a tent. I did call the lodge and there's still one single room left with a queen bed. Also, the tents they have are just the cheap nylon wally-world style tents which I've found to be about as rain-proof as a screen door. Checking on a couple options with that.
                Alright that works because I still need to hear from MaximPhil as he is tryin to work it out but not yet committed...
                One more vista shot...
                Last edited by madmax-im; 07-25-2012, 04:06 PM.
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  Also, the tents they have are just the cheap nylon wally-world style tents which I've found to be about as rain-proof as a screen door. Checking on a couple options with that.
                  What, a body condom?

I've camped in those tents all over, as long as your not in a low spot it's all good.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    I've camped in those tents all over, as long as your not in a low spot it's all good.

I've probably had 15-20 tents over the years, and unless I made a lean-to or such over them with a tarp, anything over a slight mist, and you're waking up wet with wet stuff. I had a new tent when I rode to Maryland with Ivan to Dpotter's place. It stormed like crazy that night and I think there was more water inside the tent on the floor than outside on the ground. His was getting that way too until he moved the tent into Potter's garage. I finally went in and laid down on his couch... closer to those effin' Cherios.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

• The one I have has an extra umbrella piece that you can put on over the external frame if it's needed. I've never had to use it though.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Right.. they all come with a rain-fly.

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

• A good tent looks like:

or

or

It needs a good rain fly, and you have to seal the seams.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

• Mine is like the middle one. It has that extra canopy so it's double layered if need be or you can leave it off. A queen size air matress fits with room on the edges.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• A REALLY good tent looks like this:

John
                              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• Please...when you come to Appalachia with intent to camp, be sure your tent is rain tested. If you're out sleeping on the ground in a leaky tent, Murphy's law says it's going to rain and it's going to rain hard. To be sure, it's likely that there will be thunderstorms, but whether they drop on you depends upon the integrity of your tent. We've had folks camping at this rally from the beginning, myself included. Don't let a leaky tent ruin your weekend. A good one is not necessarily espensive.
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X