XSive Rider's @ Iron Horse 2012

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BA80
    replied
    Originally posted by madmax-im
    BTW that map is out of date...
    What? Did north move further south when I wasn't looking?

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Ok you're a southern midwesterner...BTW that map is out of date...

    Leave a comment:


  • BA80
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Originally posted by BA80
    We're looking forward to it also Marty. I know you've seen Brent eat but an all you can eat buffet is pretty much the norm for us wild eyed southern boys.
    Just sayin'
    Thought y'all was Midwesterners...unless my geography aint right...

    Leave a comment:


  • BA80
    replied
    We're looking forward to it also Marty. I know you've seen Brent eat but an all you can eat buffet is pretty much the norm for us wild eyed southern boys.

    Just sayin'

    Leave a comment:


  • jetmechmarty
    replied
    I think there are some good eateries in Bryson City and I will likely explore that option on Sunday evening. Please keep in mind that the Iron Horse is a business. They provide many amenities for their guests that we take full advantage of. Please consider this when you choose where to take your meals, especially if you choose to sleep somewhere else.

    I believe this venue suits everyone's needs better than any other single option. You can camp, bunkhouse, or choose room options. There's also a nearby hotel. We have been exploring other venues, but none have as many options as the Iron Horse. What's available in the region usually means everyone in a tent or everyone in rooms.

    For those attending the rally, I look forward to your feedback. I'd like to know if you'll continue to attend if we stay here, or will it get stale? Like everyone else who used to stay there, I miss TWO, but that option closed.

    Our rally is less than four weeks away. It looks like we may have a record turnout. We have a tee shirt for the first time. (Only a couple days left to put in for those) We have folks coming from out west for the first time. We've put some planning into this gathering and I'm excited about it.

    I'll see y'all at the Iron Horse!

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Originally posted by MPittma100
    There are several restaurants in Bryson City, where they also serve/sell adult beverages 7 days a week. Anything from Mexican to Pizza can be had there.

    I think only 30 minutes away.

    MP
    Good to know...its really convienient to have meals at the lodge for obvious reasons...and bringing in adult beverages is permitted...

    Leave a comment:


  • MPittma100
    replied
    Places to eat

    There are several restaurants in Bryson City, where they also serve/sell adult beverages 7 days a week. Anything from Mexican to Pizza can be had there.

    I think only 30 minutes away.

    MP

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    The meals were good at I-H however for someone like me who has salt restrictons i found the food overly seasoned...especailly the prime rib...I will have to call them and see what if anything they could do to accomodate me. And as has been said the I-H is in a remote location...nearest town would be Robbinsville so there arent alot of alternatives close by...Last year the Stecoah diner was closed but it ould be nice to have an alternative place to eat.

    Leave a comment:


  • jetmechmarty
    replied
    Originally posted by DeanR
    There was a little eatery at the junction of 28 and Lower Stecoah Rd when I was there, but looking at GoogleMaps, looks like it may be something else now?
    It was there in April. It's a little diner. Dinner at the Iron Horse is good. It's not as good as the food was at TWO, but it's good. I was there in April for the XS650 rally and had pork barbecue on Friday and prime rib on Saturday. Dinner in the lodge is fun.

    Last year (XS650 rally) we had a documentary about making moonshine playing on the big screen while we had dinner, followed by a screening of "The World's Fastest Indian" while we ate popcorn and enjoyed adult beverages by the fire. It was raining heavily outside. On Saturday night we watched videos of the day's ride, once again, on the big screen. The lodge at the Iron Horse is great for fellowship.

    Leave a comment:


  • DGXSER
    replied
    Dean, you probably already know this, but the sattlelite images on google maps is always a few years behind. Interestingly enough, the street view is also a year or two behind, but does not correspond to the overhead view for time period. I have looked at different areas of the country and found that the name of a place or color of the building is different between the two.

    Leave a comment:


  • DeanR
    replied
    There was a little eatery at the junction of 28 and Lower Stecoah Rd when I was there, but looking at GoogleMaps, looks like it may be something else now?

    Leave a comment:


  • JeffH
    replied
    Extra Person in Tent is going to cost $5 a night unless you divide up the total cost with Brent and the other tent mates. (which I guess would then be $9 bucks each?) Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge is in the Nantahala National Forest and is pretty remote, meaning there are limited services (restaurants or anything but mountains) within the immediate area. Most attendees prefer to socialize and have dinner at I-H rather than get back on the bike and attempt a Big Foot sighting. As Ben said, you need to place your meal order ahead of time just so I-H staff can go get the right stuff to fill each meal order. Last year they did take dinner orders the day before or in the am for that evenings dinner. Not that big a deal. They have small kitchen / prep area and don't have large food storage coolers like a restaurant.

    Jeff

    Iron Horse states:
    Tent Camping (you bring everything) $15 per tent, 1 person per night. $20.00 per tent, 2 people per night.

    $5.00 each additional person per tent, per night. Plenty of sites along the creek. Does not include towels, towels available for .50ยข each.

    BATH HOUSE: We provide separate bathhouses for men and women. Both bathhouses have private dressing room with each shower. Hair dryers are provided in the bathhouse. Washer and dryer also available.

    1 month to go!

    Leave a comment:


  • trbig
    replied
    Originally posted by jetmechmarty
    As I recall, you will pay for everything when you check out on Sunday or Monday. You'll probably pick your dinners before you leave home, via. email .

    What if they don't know I'm coming? lol. I haven't contacted them because I'll be staying in Brent's tent. I guess I need to call them anyway. I was going to see how much for just the bedding and a pillow since I'll be bringing an air mattress. I'll ask them about meals then. I'd prefer not to eat every meal at the same place though... May have to check out that other place you mentioned.

    Leave a comment:


  • Brent
    replied
    room in tent

    Originally posted by Huron52
    Well that's just it.... It is still up in the air if I'll show up or not.

    I think someone said the Brent has a lot of room in his tent????
    Sure would be good to see you again Tom. Might be your best chance to see my XS. Yes, I should have some room for you. It would take you at least a week to see all the good roads between Hendersonville & Stecoah.

    Leave a comment:

Working...