Rally in Northwest????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
    3 or 4 days? I thought we were looking at 5 to 7 days. LOL Any ride is good. By the way Terry, the pickup did have a bad wire. We got the valves adjusted, fixed the bad wire, checked the timing, and today i adjusted the carbs again, and re synched. No more high rpm problems. This thing runs more like i expected. I still want to pick up another mag. pickup, and modify it.
    Cool,now I can stop worrying about it.I was afraid I missed a pickup wire problem last summer when I looked at it at Detroit lake.I wanted to pull harder on those wires but we had limited tools and resources and I didn't want to break it so you didn't have a ride home!
    1980 special (Phyllis)
    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Originally posted by tw1980 View Post
      I wanted to pull harder on those wires but we had limited tools and resources and I didn't want to break it so you didn't have a ride home!
      Just for your own satisfaction some day, take a 12" or so piece of fresh wire the same gauge as your pick-up coil wires. Grab it firmly with both hands, and pull until you can pull it apart and break it. This will give you a good approximation of how much tugging you can do on your pick-up coils wires when testing them for breaks.

Basically, if you can pull it apart, it was already broken, and was just waiting to fail on you. If this were to happen to you far from home, you could bare and twist the broken wires together, give them a small wrap with electrical tape, and ride home. The published fix talks about soldering and shrink wrap, but in a fix, twisting and tape should get you home, even if you have to do it a couple of times.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

I'm here in the South Eastern corner of Washington, so all these places you all are talking about are close enough for me. If you guys plan any rides shoot me a message. I've been dying to take a long tour for a few years and if this year is right I'll do it. I want to go down through California, then to Nevada and Through New Mexico then probably swoop back up through Wyoming or something. I'm not even gonna plan it. Just like Easy Riders!
        "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Hey Jeepster. I think we will probably make a three or four day run this summer, but that will depend on what everyone thinks. Probably to the coast, then South, then, then,????
          1980 XS1100LG Midnight
          1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
          A quick death and an easy one.
          A pretty girl and an honest one.
          A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Sounds like my kind of ride! The coast sounds good too. It all sounds good, I don't get out enough.
            "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Forgive me but I only "browsed" the thread. Have you guys set any dates or locations yet? I'm interested, but I may only show up for a day or two of the trip, I'm in the Reno area so I could leave early from work Thursday, meet up with the "rally-ers" Thursday night or Friday morning, ride with you guys Friday and Saturday and come home Sunday if the itinerary works out right.
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

Ok the princess has commanded that we must go to Portland and shop this weekend,and that doesn't mean we work in a shop.It means I hold her designer purse while she decides what I buy for her. I plan on doing some scouting on the way and while I'm there.Report to fallow.I think the Portland area might be a good place to start the ride/rally more to come! Terry
                1980 special (Phyllis)
                1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Originally posted by tw1980 View Post
                  I think the Portland area might be a good place to start the ride/rally more to come! Terry
                  I was thinking the same thing.

Good luck with the shopping trip Terry.

Larry
                  Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                  http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                  82 XJ1100
                  80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                  64 Yamaha YA-6
                  77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                  See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Have her get you a European shoulder bag. LOL
                    1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

• Okay I think it's time to start putting this together so if we need to make changes we don't have to do it at the last minute.If anyone has ideas for points of interest and stay over spots speak up now! Terry
                      1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

• Been doing some looking. I don't know how long you guys want to ride, but something like this sounds good.Portland to Seaside, to Tillamook, down 101 to Brookings, East to Klamath Falls, then out through the back roads that meet up with 97 up North ( the roads look to be good) then on to Fossil, then to Hood river, and home. It is over 1000 miles, and have not looked for camping spots yet. Also thought about going to Crater Lake and then up 97, but that would be an extra day i suppose. How many days do we want to ride?
                        1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

• After reading back through the posts, i see where we need a ride to the coast, but not down the coast. We need a nice day or two ride leaving from Portland, or Salem. We need a nice ride east to Eastern Washington, over to Eastern Oregon, around Fossil, Shanico, South to ??? then home as Terry mentioned. I also think that the local Salem, Portland, Tillamook, Vancouver, riders should have a few day rides. On my ride to the coast last week, i went over some twisty back country roads, especially #53 from #202 to Nehalem. Those who like the twisties would appreciate some of the roads. I also think that a tech day, or days, at Tillamook is not a bad idea. Some of the folks may not be able to make a 3-4 day ride, and that is ok. Ride part, and ride home. One thing for sure, it is April, and we need to get things planned.
                          1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

• I doubt I will be able to do anymore than an over night trip this summer. I'm all for a couple of day rides though.

Larry
                            Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                            82 XJ1100
                            80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                            64 Yamaha YA-6
                            77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                            See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

• Originally posted by Yahman View Post
                              I doubt I will be able to do anymore than an over night trip this summer. I'm all for a couple of day rides though.

Larry
                              Same here and that's why I wanted to keep it in NW Oregon...

Geezer
                              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

• How about an overnight in Tillamook. Camp at Cape Lookout. Arrive Friday, ride on Saturday, home on Sunday.
                                http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...2,0.87204&z=10

tried to put link to map in. Wilson River Hwy to Glenwood, then down through Carlton, then over to Hemlock, and to campground. Can take a detour to Sand Lake.
                                Last edited by XS1100 Newbie; 04-03-2010, 11:05 AM.
                                1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Working...
                                X