No announcement yet.

Rally in Northwest????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given the choices, I'll have to say, count me out on this one, enjoy you Oregon Rally.
    Fastmover
    "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
    lion". SHL
    78 XS1100e

Comment

I'm with Jeremy and Terry, I want to ride, ride, ride.

Tech sessions are nice, but to me a "Rally" is about getting together for the ride.

Larry
      Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
      82 XJ1100
      80 XS1100G (Project bike)
      64 Yamaha YA-6
      77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
      See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Let me say this about that

Having hosted several XS rallies, I have learned a few things.

1) For some, the ride to and from the rally is enough riding. Sitting around and socializing is a big attraction.
        2) Some just can't get enough riding and would prefer to ride every day, leave socializing for the evening.
        3) Others like the accumulative XS/XJ knowledge and expertise. The tech sessions are a big hit.

A perfect rally has it all, but that takes a fair amount of space and administration on somebodies part.

Hosting a rally does not have to cost an arm and a leg. I have done it both ways and they were all successful rallies. It does take space. I find XS'er to be more the generous enough to help with the cost.

I would like to host another rally in Oly one of these summers, but not right away. By the time school gets out I just want to get away.

My vote is to go east. The coast is an incredibly scenic ride, but cages and motor home ruin it for me. Riding around the big mountains in the PNW is awesome, but weather and traffic are a big deal. Camping (sleeping on the ground) is not one of my favorite things, but far better than poking along in traffic. If a group decides to meet in eastern Oregon somewhere, count me in.

I was bummed about missing the Detroit Lake ride. August works best for me, once school starts the craziness ramps up.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

I'll do some day trips around the area and scout out some places when the good riding weather returns. But I'm still the most in favor of a PNW meeting of the minds type event.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Yeah I'm with you Denny I don't fancy sleeping on the ground either.I was thinking I'll try to find areas that offer camping and lodging in close proximity so people have a choice where they sleep.

Terry
            1980 special (Phyllis)
            1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Sorry guys I haven't posted any thing yet.The weather here has really s*cked lately.I'll try to get some scouting done before Jan 1st,weather permitting.

Terry
              1980 special (Phyllis)
              1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

We will make the run anyway. Be brave. LOL I am getting really ansi about riding next year, and i don't have the bike done yet. Been a little concerned about doing the fork seals. Guess i just need to do it. Must be getting old to worry about something so minor. I think it is just that we will get a sunny day, and the bike will be tore down.
                1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                A quick death and an easy one.
                A pretty girl and an honest one.
                A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Don't know Oregon enough to suggest anything, but strictly coast runs are going to be clogged with slow traffic.
                  In Washington I think the loops are always good. 410 through Enumclaw, lunch at Tipsoo Lake at Chinook Pass. Down the eastside to Yakima, Canyon Road to Ellensburg. Lots of optins from Ellensburg. Back over 90 to Seattle for some great city rides or the better option north up 97 to Leavenworth. Up the Columbia to Winthrop and back home through one of the best roads in America, 20 through the Cascades. Hotels and campgrounds at all the stops. Food and tourist friendly businesses.
                  Hardest part is setting a date, course and committments.
                  Bothell, WA
                  1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Well the weather was semi ok here today so I talked trophy wife into going for a drive and took the Porsche out.(to much ice and gravel on rural roads for two wheels)Mithell OR has 1 inn.65 a night,no camping(unless they let us pitch tents in city park)restrooms,no showers,store,reg gas only,and two cafes.1 is B,L,D the other is B,L.The motel is a bed and breakfast.Fossil OR has 2 inns 75 -95 per night with breakfast,close camping,no showers,reg gas only,restaurants,store and liquor store.Seems to me we could find places more accommodating.I'll keep searching.

Terry
                    1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Terry
                      Thanks for your efforts on this. Does that Porsche really do any good in the snow?
                      1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

Not really it's AWD but I don't run winter tires.I just leave it in the garage unless we hit a nice day.We did however get a dusting of snow the other day so I turned off the traction control and went drifting!What a kick.

Terry
                        1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

There is always the opportunity to stay at Clyde Holliday State Recreation Site. There are showers, electric hook-ups and it is only a few miles to John Day for food and supplies. There are a few great loop rides with interesting destinations like Granite, Sumpter, John Day Fossil beds, etc. I'll look it to this some more and post up some ride routes to see what folks think. Happy holidays and best wishes for 2010!
                          Jeremy

1979 XS11 Special
                          2002 Ducati ST4S
                          2012 BMW F800R
                          1981 Suzuki GS450E
                          1982 Honda XL500R

Comment

Great rallies

Originally posted by Dennyz View Post
                            Having hosted several XS rallies, I have learned a few things.

1) For some, the ride to and from the rally is enough riding. Sitting around and socializing is a big attraction.
                            2) Some just can't get enough riding and would prefer to ride every day, leave socializing for the evening.
                            3) Others like the accumulative XS/XJ knowledge and expertise. The tech sessions are a big hit.

A perfect rally has it all, but that takes a fair amount of space and administration on somebodies part.

Hosting a rally does not have to cost an arm and a leg. I have done it both ways and they were all successful rallies. It does take space. I find XS'er to be more the generous enough to help with the cost.

I would like to host another rally in Oly one of these summers, but not right away. By the time school gets out I just want to get away.

My vote is to go east. The coast is an incredibly scenic ride, but cages and motor home ruin it for me. Riding around the big mountains in the PNW is awesome, but weather and traffic are a big deal. Camping (sleeping on the ground) is not one of my favorite things, but far better than poking along in traffic. If a group decides to meet in eastern Oregon somewhere, count me in.

I was bummed about missing the Detroit Lake ride. August works best for me, once school starts the craziness ramps up.
                            Yes! It's all good. Tillamook or Idaho, I waant to go. Late summer before school starts is good for me. (no vote since I cannot vote yes twice.)
                            It is a great big beautiful world out there
                            Brent in GA
                            Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Brent
                              Are you going to ride out from GA? We are a small group out here, but i sure would like to see more people come and ride with us. My first ride was detroit lake last year, and now i am hooked. I would like to see a good carb clinic this summer as well. I also want to put on enough miles this summer to warrant a new set of tires next winter. They are new now, so that would be maybe 6000 miles.
                              1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

ride

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                                Brent
                                Are you going to ride out from GA? We are a small group out here, but i sure would like to see more people come and ride with us. My first ride was detroit lake last year, and now i am hooked. I would like to see a good carb clinic this summer as well. I also want to put on enough miles this summer to warrant a new set of tires next winter. They are new now, so that would be maybe 6000 miles.
                                Ride? Yes, takes some time, but worth the trip. I rode to Tillamook from GA once. Pic in my avatar is me on bike overlooking Pacific ocean southwest? of Tillamook. Photo by Poprock. I enjoyed the ride out, but local knowledge of back roads is often the Best. Besides, My pocket knife is dull, and the best knife sharpener I know lives in Tillamook.
                                It is a great big beautiful world out there
                                Brent in GA
                                Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Working...
                                X