Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Japanese, need help with vin info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing like a nice ole tractor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9972A.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	877612 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9974.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	877613

Comment

Deebs, thanks for the input! This is exactly what I needed and was looking for. I didn't get to work on the bike today because I was spending the day with my son. I'll be doing more work in the coming days, though. What do people do about connectors? My friend I got the bike from told me today that there are actually wiring harnesses available, but I have not verified that.
      That's a sharp shovel, btw. I love shovels, my first ride was a shovel and I do believe that there is nothing like the sound of a shovelhead. Happy riding!!!

Comment

Here is a used one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31501430441...Bk9SR4zo1MyoYw

Name:	s-l1600 (25).jpg
Views:	199
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	877670

Comment

Or you can repair your existing harness with new connectors.

https://www.vintageconnections.com/collections/all

Click image for larger version  Name:	Opera Snapshot_2024-01-26_031512_www.vintageconnections.com.png Views:	0 Size:	495.0 KB ID:	877672

Comment

Ignition switch used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38662513491...Bk9SR7Lfq82oYw

Name:	s-l1600 (26).jpg
Views:	207
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	877674

Comment

Ignition switch new (Chinese-could-be-crap-but-might-work-for-a few-years).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15463008759...Bk9SR5rJys2oYw

Name:	s-l1600 (27).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	877676

Comment

Name:	20240131_172402_edit.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	877767 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240131_175129_edit.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	877768 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240131_181147_edit.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	877769
                ​ ​​​​​​​I haven't updated in a couple of days since I've been otherwise occupied (other projects plus work)

I noticed the connectors for the hand controls are in pretty good shape. I'd like to save the hand controls so I drilled the screws out since they were corroded in place. It was very dirty in there with spiderwebs along with dirt and sand. the run/stop switch is frozen in place and the start button is gone. I also broke the brake switch wiring connector but not on the wire side so maybe I can salvage that.

I'd like to wire this up as close to the way it's supposed to be as possible. Usually with choppers I do away with turn signals, speedo, lights, etc. All my bikes have only the headlamp, taillight, and horn. Since I want to make this a cafe racer styled bike, I want to keep the electronics with perhaps an update. At the very least, I want to wire it correctly and make changes from there.

If anyone knows of a set of aftermarket controls that will work, that would be ok also.... in any case, I will be keeping much of the wiring and connectors. I'm also going to clean up the frame and am looking at painting it. It looks like it's bone dry after sitting for so long and I will have to service it so I will more likely than not have to pull all the mechanicals out. Brake system will be rebuild/replaced where applicable.

Deebs11 - Thank you for your input and I will have some questions for you in a while.

I'll keep posts coming.

​​​​​​​thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
                  Ignition switch new (Chinese-could-be-crap-but-might-work-for-a few-years).
                  Considering the size of the wires coming out of that my guess is it won't handle all the juice that's going to headed through that switch, using the switch to trigger a relay is probably a good idea.

1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

This is the part. XS650 after market items. You will notice the connectors are not the same. You must solder your connectors to the harness.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174165779424

Click image for larger version  Name:	ezgif-5-a0391fdf36.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.4 KB ID:	877774 Click image for larger version  Name:	ezgif-5-2a84a5de22.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.9 KB ID:	877775 Click image for larger version  Name:	ezgif-5-7fc9629f20.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.7 KB ID:	877776
                    Last edited by DEEBS11; 02-02-2024, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Like this. Mine is a 78 with the black connectors. Yours might be 1980+ style.

Name:	DSCN0102.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	877778 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0104.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	877779 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0103.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	877780 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0105.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	877781

Comment

I apologize for not posting in a few days. Unfortunately, my day job involves me traveling out of state. I'm usually out at least a couple of weeks. I didn't order parts because nobody will be home to receive them. I did finish up removing the wiring harness which is big because not only can I see everything that I'm working with but, I'm getting a great understanding of where everything goes. I took a crapload of notes, took and am still taking pictures, and I'm constantly revising my plans for this bike. In addition, my mechanic volunteered his shop for me to work on the engine when the time comes. All in all, it's been a pretty cool experience. It's going to be a couple of weeks until I get back so probably no updates, or maybe I'll think of something I can post. I'm thinking of moving this thread and possibly renaming it because I don't' think the title holds true anymore. Any thoughts?
                        Anybody care to share any suggestions while I'm out that I can chew on? I'll be looking online a lot for parts and probably watching youtube videos. I'm already itching to get back and get to work again.

Thanks for any help guys!

Comment

Leave the name and the post here. We know it now, and will check in on you as you post, so any help will be quicker. Don't try and get it done in a hurry, life happens and motorcycle repair has its own time frame.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ok fellas, I'm back after a brief absence!
                            I went back into the shop and did some more work. After being away I got back in there and re-engaged with fresh eyes. The bike is pretty much bone dry so when I looked inside I saw what appeared to be rust. There is also a large amount of carbon in the exhaust ports. There seems to be corrosion on every bolt that was exposed to the weather (keep in mind, the bike was left leaning on a light post for several years). I also found it to be really nasty when I looked between the rear wheel and the shaft coupling. The tank and petcocks are toast. There's a hole on the bottom of the tank which pretty much makes it impossible for me to reuse it. It looks like I am not gonna just get the bike running, I'm going to have to completely break it down. I need to remove the engine and driveshaft, the goal is to inspect the internals and rework it to "like new" condition.
                            Following are some pics. As this is turning into a long term project I'm going to alternate with other projects I have around the shop. Following are pictures of the disassembly so far.

Comment

Comment

Don't be discouraged jgonz. My bike was pulled from a swampy back yard and the tank and entire motor were junk. No seat. Rotted exhaust. I got a parts bike with a decent motor for free and combined the bikes. Luckily there are many used parts available and you can replace anything that is in need.

Name:	00u0u_cTgy8xfeUGR_1200x900.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	878230 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3891.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	878231 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3900.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	199.7 KB