No announcement yet.

Detroit Venturer Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The complete '81 manual is $75 +$9 shipping.

After I reported the latest purchases of the drive shaft boot and the replacement bearings to the wife, I sensed a little apprehension.

Then I had to replace the pressure switch and circuit board in the garage heater.

I think I better lay low for a few weeks. Hopefully it will still be around.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Yamaha Manual

Hi Mike,

Look at this item number on EBay. 113442378801. $30 free shipping. Better be quick. Very good deal.
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I grabbed that manual immediately. Thanks Mike!

There are several supplimental manuals for ~$25+Shipping, but it's nice the have the whole correct manual.

This was the only one I recognized as the full manual when I looked before:
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS-1....c100227.m3827

It appears the one you suggested is supposed to be the full manual, but the cover is plain white and the eBay picture doesn't look like it has many pages.

Since the P/N LIT -11616-XS-13 is same between the white cover version and the full manual, the white cover version might be a later re-printing?

Wish I had this manual when I started.
        -Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Assembly and Supplemental Manuals

Mike,
          I have these if you want them they are yours for FREEBIE.

This one is still in the plastic cover......

Back when I was in HS I use to put the bikes together (out of the crate) and used this one for assembly.

I use to have your address but can't find. Please send via PM.

Kurt
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
          1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
          1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
          1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
          1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
          1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
          1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
          1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
          2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Kurt:

I'd love to have those manuals to help route cables and figure out how thinks are supposed to be, but you are waaaayyyy too kind!

I'll take it offline (PM).
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Yamaha Service Manual

Hi Mike, The manual you ordered has much info on all of the previous year models as well. Lots of info.
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Stuck in the Rear

Rear Wheel Bearings

I am still puzzled by the tight rear bearing. I put some oil on it and moved it around and I see muddy lubricant coming out:

I studied the inner race:

I think I see what's going on. I remember bought an extra NA-5904 and put it on the shelf because it was supposed to be rare. I must have used the second one on the Bagger and saved the old bearing in the nice packaging. When I installed it in the Voyager, perhaps my hammering disturbed some grease with fine rust particles, and the particles are just big enough to bind the bearing when the inner race is inserted.

Still, I am listening to Schming's advice, and his suggestion seems like a good idea. So tonight I made a Schmingolater:

I have the RH bearing and both seals in hand. I hope to receive the new bearing tomorrow, so I can try to do this over again.

Shocks

While I was waiting for new bearings and seals, I was working on other things. I noticed the rear shocks don't seem to have the same spring on both sides. The Right side seems linear, and the left side seems progressive:

Isn't that peculiar?

Swingarm Assembly

I forgot to grab a picture, but I have the Swingarm and Final Drive back on. I had to wait for a new driveshaft rubber boot. That all went back together nicely.

More to come...
                Last edited by Radioguylogs; 03-25-2020, 11:14 PM.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

The funny thing is that there are 10 wraps on each coil. You are right though, one looks like a progressive coil.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                  03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                    The funny thing is that there are 10 wraps on each coil. You are right though, one looks like a progressive coil.
                    Only you would know it if you just installed it that way. There might be some slight frame twisting forces however.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                    03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

shocks

You made me curious about the 2 different shocks so I checked mine just to see if they were the same or not. My 81LH shocks are both the same type, (linear as you defined it). However, my 80LG has one of each with the progressive springs on the right side, which is something that I never noticed before. Unfortunately, I have no explanation for this since I am not the original owner, but it sure does seem odd!

BTW, I've really been enjoying following your project progress, looks like a fun one!
                      Bob's Bikes:
                      79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                      https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                      https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                      "
                      Project XS11"
                      "Rucksack Grunt"
                      "Small Unit Leadership"
                      "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                      For Sale Here.

Comment

Bob, the spring diameter is slightly larger on rear KYB shocks of the 81 Venturer ONLY. If I remember correctly, the KYB rear shock dampening adjuster has the same 4 adjustment positions on all year model of Standards. Just the spring diameter is ever-so slightly larger with the Venturer model only.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Also, since Venturer model has the oil cooler, the initial engine oil capacity is 4.4qts. This puts oil level at top edge of sight window, which compensates for the oil cooler and oil lines additional capacity when moter is running. This capacity is specified in the original owners manual that comes with bike when new,both of which I still have.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

LH Bearing - Bear is the Operative Syllable

So, I removed the bearings and seals in the rear wheel and replaced everything with new parts.

The sticky LH bearing became un-sticky when I removed it.

The new LH bearing was loose before I installed it. I used the press ideas suggested by Schming.* The new bearing became tighter when I installed it!!!! It was less tight than the previous bearing, but was surprising that every bearing gets tighter when I install it. The latest bearing has some stiff resistance to insert and removed the center race, but it still rolls OK, so I will leave it. I wonder if the wheel center hub slightly our of round or it is normal for it to require some break-in to seat.

* BTW the press work well, except it is a three handed job to get it started. The LH bearing actually went in slight bit deeper than the previous one I pounded. This method is certainly more gentle on the bearing.
                            -Mike
                            _________
                            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Onward

Huge thanks to Kurt for the manuals.

I did receive the manual Mike P suggested. I have great documentation now.

Rear Wheel is back on, complete with brake:

Now, I move onto the tedious job of polishing the aluminum cases.

I chose to do the clutch cover first. It makes sense to rebuild the clutch with new frictions while I have the cover off:

It seemed virgin inside, and it looked surprisingly good for 38k miles. It really didn't need to be done, but it's peace of mind to know I shouldn't have to go in there again.
                              -Mike
                              _________
                              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Next

Got the clutch back together, polished the cover and buttoned it up:

Removed the Shift Linkage Cover for polishing and scraped the gasket:

I decided to lose the aftermarket oil pressure gauge. It's cool, but it was so tired looking I decided to lose it. There is an idiot light to protect me anyway. The gauge was installed in the oil galley circled in the picture above.

I was surprised to find the part of the gauge that threaded into the engine was a banjo bolt. The dimensions are unique. I took the OE bolt off of the Bagger to compare it:

It is M10 x 1.5 x 30mm and not listed on the Yamaha parts fiche.

I looked into the galley and realized this is important. This bolt provides a passage for oil to the left-hand bearing on the Primary Shaft.

I could only find a close replacement at Belmetric:
                                https://www.belmetric.com/brake-flui...ik1dfp0311vh63

So ordered a couple of those to study.

Stay well,
                                -Mike
                                _________
                                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Working...
                                X