No announcement yet.

Carbs done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL..we got 2 Nates, one from North Dakota and one from South Dakota working on carbs.

I don't kow about the rest of y'all but I'm gettin' a little skeered.

SD Nate, why are you pulling them back off? All you need to do is sync properly.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Figured start from the begining.

In a previous thread I mentioned that number 3 had a broken idle screw and someone in the past had drilled a new hole just in front of it. Today that bit me in the ass. I reseated all the screws to get a fresh start and the side pressure broke off the screw just below the threads.

Ive been trying for over an hour now to get the old tip out but no luck. Tried the sewing needles and they kept breaking. Tried picks and a hammer but just end up bending the tips of the pick.
      Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
      Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
      Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
      Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
      Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
      K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
      81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

I don't know why but the #3 carb always seems to be the trouble maker. I ran out of #3 bodies and made a 3 out of a 1 on the last set of carbs I did.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I don't know what I'm going to do now. If whacking it with a pick and a hammer doesn't work I'm not sure where to go next.

I need to get this thing running again and I'm sure not going to put the mystery carbs back on.
          Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
          81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Right now it seems that carbs are kinda scarce. this is the only thing I could find on fleabay http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-xs1100-...d2f29d&vxp=mtr and they are a littl dicey but between the 2 sets you could probably build one good one.

According to THIS CHART the only difference in the 78 and 79 is the starter jet. (ND NATE hates this chart and says it's wrong)
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Well I just bought this set from Ray. Cleaned, rebuilt and painted. Don't want to throw these away over a broken screw. May need to try the drill and make a jb weld seat method if I can't figure out another way.
              Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
              81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post
                In a previous thread I mentioned that number 3 had a broken idle screw and someone in the past had drilled a new hole just in front of it.
                That will never work right.

Don't "throw them away". They don't make a lot of those parts anymore.
                KEEP 'EM FOR PARTS!!!!
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

That would put me at about $220 worth of carb parts.

Why wouldn't making the new seat work? I saw a thread on it from a long time ago but never saw a follow up. The idea was to drill out the tip, put a tiny dab of jb over the hole and run in a lubed screw to remake seat. Remove the screw right away and let it cure.
                  Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                  81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Good luck. Let me know how that turns out for you.

That set of carbs is a little pricey but if you want to wait and watch ebay something will turn up. You working with a 33 year old machine that good parts are getting scarce for.

I went through 3 sets before I got a decent set for ol' okie. It is running pretty much like new now. My daily driver.

Just sayin'.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Do you have any reasons to think it wouldn't work? Always open to more advice. I'd hate to drill and find out it was a bad idea.

I really can't afford to start buying multiple sts of cards right now. In fact the reason I need to get the bike going again fast is because I can't really afford the 10 mpg my truck gets. But that bring said, messing it up more by trying to save money is a bad idea.
                      Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                      81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

I repaired a broken float post with JB Weld. It worked for a couple years, then I got a new set of carbs. It's still in there, but out of service. Might work, but I'd try to remove the screw every other possible way first. It'd be a nuisance to have to redo the seat every few months if it isn't a permanent fix. I wish you well getting your carbs done.
                        1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

So I now I am always going to be call ND Nate? Guess thats not terrible, I love ND and will move back first chance I get! I am going to call you MT Greg though!

You need to push the screw up from the inside of the carb bell. Drilling it out just ends up enlarging the hole and then you will be getting too much fuel in that one carb
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I've been called a lot worse Nate.

Read the quote in my last post and you'll understand why I say scrap that carb. It was already mucked up to begin with.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Yeah, if there is an extra hole just get rid of it!
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Did some thinking while at work today and decided Im going to try the JB Weld fix. Best case, its fixed. Worst case, it doesn't work and I still have a carb body I cant use.
                                Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                                81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Working...
                                X