No announcement yet.

Carbs done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I havent had a chance to synch the gauges yet but wanted to get some input on the plug color.

I thought it was running lean but you say its rich. 2 of the plugs have some color on the insulator while the other 2 look absolutely brand new on the insulator. All 4 are white on the top part of the electrode.

Once I get the gauges checked, whats the best way to go about setting the carbs? Floats only? Run at each 1k RPM increments for a while and check the plugs then swap out jets accordingly?

I read about having to change out jets but have yet to see how to tell the difference between jettting/float/needle adjustments.
    Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
    Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
    Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
    Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
    Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
    K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

I just looked at the pics I posted. They seem very dark to what the plugs actually look like.
      Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
      81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Do you have a pic of your mystery carbs? And are you still running them on your bike. Also do you have any other mods? What kind of exhaust are you running? You said your running the stock box unmolested with stock filter, Correct?
        80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
        79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
        82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
        81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
        06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
        81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
        81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Comment

The exhaust is RC Racing. I dont know anything about it. Stock airbox with K+N filter. A few holes drilled in the box in the center of the filter area.

They run good but no vac advance on them.
          Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
          81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

This may steer you in the compleatly wrong direction but im not sure. Those yellow lines on the bottom of the carbs are vacuum lines right? Try caping 3 of them and using one i would say on carb #2 to hook up to your vaccum advance, See if that makes a difference. Those sure are some strange looking carbs. Cant say i have a clue what they are off of but maybe someone else on here have seen a set like them. Hope this helps and good luck.
            80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
            79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
            82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
            81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
            06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
            81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
            81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Comment

Id rather get the stock carbs set up so I can just chuck these things. But stuck with them till I know how to tune the others.
              Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
              81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Just checked my gauges by hooking them all up together and sucking on the hose. All exactly the same.
                Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Not to digress here, but the carbs look great with that black paint.

1978 XS1100E

Dyna Coils
                  K&N Filter
                  16'' Rear Wheel
                  4-1 Exhaust
                  Kerker Muffler
                  Firestone Deluxe Champion Tires
                  Custom Seat and Fender

Comment

Thanks. I was really happy with them until I put em on. The paint didnt stick for crap so it got chipped off at several places from sliding them past the boots. This winter when I tear the bike completely apart I think Ill have them powder coated.
                    Last edited by Tat2demon; 07-16-2012, 08:00 PM.
                    Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

I put all the floats in a bowl of water and measured the collapsed one floating 3mm lower. Reinstalled the floats and adjusted that one 3mm. Hopefully it will work well enough to get me by until I can get a replacement.

I re-synched and the RPS were up around 1500. After another leak test (no leaks found) I backed out the idle screws thinking it was just running too lean. After everything Ive read here, that should bring the RPM down. However, the more I backed each one out the higher it got. I backed them down to about 1.25 turns out as per the manual.

The only way I could get the RPM near the 1k range was to have the screws almost bottomed out.

Ideas?

I did take it out for a short ride and it ran pretty good except for a slight hesitation on acceleration and a bit of backfiring on decel. Again, that should mean its running lean but running richer brings up the idle RPM. This short ride was mostly low (less than 3k) RPM.

I put the new plugs back in when I got home so I haven't had a chance to take it out for a plug check ride.
                      Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                      81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

You have never said anything about trying to adjust the master idle adjusted. Have you tried that?
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post
                          I put all the floats in a bowl of water and measured the collapsed one floating 3mm lower. Reinstalled the floats and adjusted that one 3mm. Hopefully it will work well enough to get me by until I can get a replacement.

I re-synched and the RPS were up around 1500. After another leak test (no leaks found) I backed out the idle screws thinking it was just running too lean. After everything Ive read here, that should bring the RPM down. However, the more I backed each one out the higher it got. I backed them down to about 1.25 turns out as per the manual.

The only way I could get the RPM near the 1k range was to have the screws almost bottomed out.

Ideas?

I did take it out for a short ride and it ran pretty good except for a slight hesitation on acceleration and a bit of backfiring on decel. Again, that should mean its running lean but running richer brings up the idle RPM. This short ride was mostly low (less than 3k) RPM.

I put the new plugs back in when I got home so I haven't had a chance to take it out for a plug check ride.

mate, ur never going to get it to run right till u fix that float, otherwise
                          ur just going to be chasing ur tail. 3mm is a big difference for a float
                          height, ur better of waiting and getting another float, set them equally and go from there.
                          with the mixture screws u want to set them at the highest rpm, if u cant bring the revs down theres another problem somewhere else, is there enuff slack in the cable.
                          what makes u think its running rich? did u remove the plugs to check
                          or are u assuming that its rich because of the revs?
                          i hope it doesnt come across that im busting ur chops, i dont mean to be,
                          just vtrying to help u sort it out.
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots
                          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                            You have never said anything about trying to adjust the master idle adjusted. Have you tried that?
                            Thats not even touching.
                            Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                            81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                              mate, ur never going to get it to run right till u fix that float, otherwise
                              ur just going to be chasing ur tail. 3mm is a big difference for a float
                              height, ur better of waiting and getting another float, set them equally and go from there.
                              with the mixture screws u want to set them at the highest rpm, if u cant bring the revs down theres another problem somewhere else, is there enuff slack in the cable.
                              what makes u think its running rich? did u remove the plugs to check
                              or are u assuming that its rich because of the revs?
                              i hope it doesnt come across that im busting ur chops, i dont mean to be,
                              just vtrying to help u sort it out.
                              Yeah looks like Im just going to leave it as it is until I can get another float next week.

The cable isnt hung up on anything with just a tiny little bit of slack. Made sure it wasnt hanging on the boot too. Definitely closing all the way down.

I assume it was running lean, not rich, based on the RPMs. Everything Ive read here says high RPMs mean lean.

I took it out on a much longer ride this morning and pulled the plugs when I got home. From left to right- looked spot on, very black, and the right two seemed a touch on the lean side.
                              Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                              81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

High idle can be either rich or lean, it sort of depends on the totality of the symptoms.

Try disconnecting the throttle cable just to humor us.

I am assuming that the collapsed float is on the #2 carb?
                                Nathan
                                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                                K&N Filter
                                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                                OEM Exhaust
                                ATK Fork Brace
                                LED Dash lights
                                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                                SS Brake Lines
                                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                X