Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 fj1200

XS Friends,
    Seems every year I pick up another POS and spend the year fixing all the mistakes of the PO. This year is no exception....

Got "The Bug Again" and started looking for a new project. Found this one less than 3 miles from my home.... couldn't pass it up!

The bike is CURRENTLY a non-runner but it won't take much to make it run. It will need several parts including new front fork tubes (bent) and the missing lower fairing, fender, and a couple other small bits. Otherwise, a complete bike with all the electrical stuff working and it cranks over well on the new battery the PO installed. Carbs are a similar member of the BS34 family (i.e. xs1100) and should be easy to clean and get the bike running.

Although the PO wanted $1000, that was incredibly too high for a non-runner. He accepted my final offer of $600 and although not a stellar deal it seems like a fair price to pay for this vintage bike. And, I didn't have to drive across the state (or further) to snatch it up.

HOPEFULLY, this one can be ready for the Vintage Yamaha Rally 2020!

Sincerely,
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Very nice Kurt

Watching with envy

Brian
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

This project is starting with nice cosmetics- it will be an easy job for you, Kurt.

Should be pretty zippy when you get it on the road.

Congratulations!

The appearance of the FJ seems similar to the FZR.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Nice find Kurt.they're awesome machines..i had an '86 and a '91..the engine vibes will put your hands to sleep though..DAMHIK...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I had an 85’ FJ1100. Solid bike. I think $600 is a good deal for that bike. Congrats
          Gene (Florida)
          1980 XS1100SG
          Accel Coils
          4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

One Major Issue Solved....

XS Friends,
            Thanks for the responses. Also, thanks to some information/procedures I LEARNED RIGHT HERE ON XS11.COM, I have repaired on the the major problems with this machine....... #4 Carb Broken Post:

The PO had a friend (met him at purchase time) supposed to be some sort of outboard motor mechanic (i.e. SHADE TREE). He was helping his buddy and broke the post off.

The floats were so gummed up they wouldn't move at all. This rocket scientist decided to try to wack the pin out..... you can see the repair thanks to his handi-work.

I soaked the devil out of all the remaining undamaged carbs and once the flats were free all the pins came right out without any real persuasion needed. There are few parts needed as all the needles, seats, jets, and etc will need new. Fortunately, these BS36 carbs use pretty much all the same internal parts as an XS1100 BS34 so I can get 'er running with some old bits until I get the new stuff.

Gotta get back to cleaning all the SLIME (hardened gas) out of the tank........

Thanks again,
            KURT
            Kurt Boehringer
            Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
            1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
            1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Where the heck do you guys find these bikes for $600? Everything in Colorado is overpriced scrap metal.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Scrap Metal....

LOL - This machine, the FJ1200, was TIED for the most expensive purchase in my FLEET! Only the FZR1000 is a tie as it was also purchased for $600. This of course excludes the FJR1300, which was purchased new.

The Current FLEET of Vintage Bikes at my house....

Not to rub it in too much but the day AFTER I purchased the FJ1200 I purchased this POS 1982 SECA 650. I overpaid for this one..... $140 Cash.

I had hoped this one was going to be in better condition but it's a parts bike now for sure..... Not enough room in the garage for this one but it's not worthy of any garage space anyway...IF someone were so inclined this one COULD have been saved but there was just too much wrong with it for ME to consider it. I promised the guy I would buy it before I actually looked at it in person and I followed through with my promise.

I got a spare ECM for my SECA out of the deal. The tank, and side covers are already sold off to friends on XJbikes.com.

Although NONE of my Vintage bikes cost more than $600 to get them into my garage, I average about $2,500 spent on each one (including purchase price) before they are in a safe and reliable condition (Tires, Brakes, Brake Lines, Carb Rebuilds, Batteries, Body Work, etc.). That said, I don't think i have more than $2500 in any one of them and they all have all the new items mentioned +more in most cases.

Let us know what you are looking for! If it is something specific we can keep an eye on the Southeast and help you get it!!
                TYPICALLY, we don't have the rust issues here in the southeast like one might find elsewhere...

Now is THE HOT TIME to buy used and get a deal!!!!! A lot of folks need to pay off the bills from Santa and aren't in Spring Riding mode!

Sincerely,
                Kurt
                Kurt Boehringer
                Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

I have a about the same economics. Except for the Vmax, all of my bikes were $200-$1200. I paid $3150 for the Vmax ($3500 taxes and fees included).

On the average, I have about $2,000 invested in each of them, including the purchase price. But I didn't put new brake lines on any of them yet. Otherwise, they are good for the next 20 years except for tires/oil. I'll probably be over 80 years old when it comes time to go through them again.

If I had the chance to visit Kurt's garage, I feel I should buy a ticket to see the museum- including the Trans Am.

I suspect there is still a 1982 Z28 Camaro in Kurt's backyard begging for attention?
                  -Mike
                  _________
                  '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                  '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                  '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                  '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Too Many Toys....

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                    I suspect there is still a 1982 Z28 Camaro in Kurt's backyard begging for attention?
                    LOL. Yep, Too many toys...... Son is pushing me to install the new headers and bring it to him in South Carolina. He has space in his garage so he will get it soon and it will get out of the rain.....
                    Kurt Boehringer
                    Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

FJ1200 Project Update

Here's a quickie update on my new FJ project....[/b]
                      When received neither the brake master or clutch master worked at all. Fortunately, the PO was buying parts to fix it (although it seems certain he hadn't a clue how to perform the repairs). I received a perfect brand new Brake Master and a used very good condition spare Clutch Master from the seller. Both of these have been placed into service and both systems are now functional.

Unfortunately, the clutch slave had apparently sprung a leak sitting so many years and in addition to needing a complete rebuild (same kit as my FZR), the side cover paint was eaten off by the fluid...

All back together and working great. Rather than re-paint the cover I just cleaned it up and polished it. I actually don't think I like the "Look" of this polished as the motor is supposed to be black. When spring hits I think I'll paint it properly? Thoughts?

NOW, replacement forks have arrived and it's time to tackle one of the big problems....

I'd love to know how the hell the PO did this? There should be significant damage to the rest of the machine with a hit like this but there isn't. I see no indication of a frame issue or anything wrong with the trees. Wonder if he backed over this with his car or something?

It should be running before the weekend with a front end that points the correct direction...

Thoughts?
                      Kurt Boehringer
                      Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                        Where the heck do you guys find these bikes for $600? Everything in Colorado is overpriced scrap metal.
                        Seems to be the case.... on your side of the "hill" Bonz.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Making Progress

FJ1200 - Making Progress:
                          I received my replacement forks. They were a good deal at $100. I knew they had been modified and the PO of these painted them so I KNEW they had been apart. I felt my lowers were fine and I only wanted the tubes anyway. Lucky that was my intention as the PO did have them apart and mis-assembled them. He was also missing some internals as he had ATTEMPTED to eliminate the anti-dive feature.

The internals of these forks are EXTREMELY complicated compared to anything I have worked on before.....

Therefore, I had to disassemble both sets and mix & match until I had created on good pair. It seemed my right fork "LOOKED" fine but the eyeball is not capable of seeing a few thousandths of bend so I just replaced both tubes.

Since the factory protective coating had yellowed and was partially missing, both tubes got a good polishing to remove the remainder and make the forks look nice.

Like my all my bikes, the calipers will need a complete rebuild and all the rubber lines will be replaced with new Stainless Steel. But, everything is back together and the bike will at least POINT the right direction as I roll it around in the shop.

NOW, I need to get the carbs done so I can hear this thing run!!! Obviously, It is no where near road-worthy but I can get her making some noise this weekend if I concentrate on the carbs...... ALL NEW PARTS HAVE ARRIVED!!!

Kurt Boehringer
                          Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

I check the straightness of my fork tubes by rolling them on the granite counter-top in the kitchen.

It's obvious if they are not straight. They roll with a wobble.

Nice work.
                            -Mike
                            _________
                            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Good method, thanks for sharing. Always used my fingertips along the surface of anything I'm trying to determine if it's straight or not. This will be a good check to the fingers next time I have to do it with something.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                              X