No announcement yet.

1986 fj1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't be a tease! Post up the pictures/pages for the rest of that article, I would enjoy seeing it. Especially the performance numbers page.
    Last edited by Bonz; 04-20-2020, 07:32 PM.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Will scan and post tonight

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
      Don't be a tease! Post up the pictures/pages for the rest of that article, I would enjoy seeing it. Especially the performance numbers page.
      Bonz,
      I'll be happy to do so tonight. Actually, the evaluators at Cycle World were quite impressed with the FJ1200 back in '86. It's certainly not a leader of the pack it may have been 34 years ago, but much like the XS11's a total blast to ride.

I rode it to work this morning, a little chilly but fun. Looking forward to the 5pm ride home.

Kurt
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

I loved that red and white scheme on the FJ 1100 and liked the bike even more as a kid with stars in my eyes when it became a 1200.

Probably the main reason my first bike when I got back into riding in 2006 was a Bandit 1200S. The UJM look and theme is timeless. Probably the same reason the only bike in the garage right now is a ZRX1200.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Cycle World Magazine March 1986 - FJ1200

Here ya go Bonz....

Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Oh my gosh, I'm in heaven. You just made my life with that posting. Thanks for sharing the article!

Look at the RPM at 60 miles per hour, call it 4,000 rpm. Almost identical to the XS1100 Special. No wonder it had such roll-on prowess. I'd go one tooth larger front sprocket or go a couple teeth smaller on the rear. If I needed supreme roll-on downshift a gear.
            Lower that cruising RPM out on the road.

Howwever if you're not going over 60-65 miles per hour back in the day when 55 was the speed limit, it made a lot of sense.
            Last edited by Bonz; 04-21-2020, 07:42 PM.
            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Nice article. I want one now, more than I did before reading it

It does seem that the HP and torque differences are only slightly better than the XS11. I bet it feels great to "roll-on" that throttle!

Brian
              '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
              '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
              '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

For the sake of fun and comparing numbers which we all like to do...

At the top of our forum is a Cycle world test of the 1980SG. 109 mph in the quarter mile vs 122 mph in the quarter mile for the FJ 1200. Granted the 78E XS1100 would split the difference between those two, but that performance apparently was only built for one year as only that year that was close to those numbers.

Based on dynamometer readings I can find the FJ1200 put down between 102 and 109 horsepower to the rear wheel and between 70 and 73 foot pounds of torque.

From what I've seen on this forum, the XS put about 80 to 85 horses to the rear wheel and 60 to 65 foot pounds of torque.

With the RPM the FJ 1200 is turning at 60 miles per hour (same as 80SG) with that additional power advantage over the XS it would be a roll-on terror like the magazine said.

Yeah, it's got me wanting an FJ 1200 as well to add to the stable next to the 2001 ZRX1200.
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Great post Kurt..i owned 2 of these back in the '90s 1986 and a 1990. They were excellent bikes that have so much torque they pull like a tractor and go like stink. The engines are buzzy translated through the handle bars at hwy speeds... But mega fun bikes!
                  Thankyou for sharing that...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Crazy Coincidence..... Lucky Kurt

XS11 Friends,
                    In a crazy stroke of luck/coincidence, I scored a portion of the lower fairing decals for FREEBIE.

My son's in-laws are a HUGE motorcyclist family. Their collection of bikes (mostly Ducati) makes my group of Yamaha's look like I'm just a beginner . Although they do have a couple other bikes including GrandPa's SR500, Triumphs, Honda, etc.

In addition to racing nearly every weekend, they attend multiple swap meets and frequently come across Yamaha items which they will grab for me whenever they see them. I would do the same but I never see Ducati stuff.

I stopped over their home the other day (just a couple miles away) and was showing off the FJ1200. My son's father-in-law says "Hey I found something for you, hopefully I can find it". He digs around in a pile of stuff and produces a bag of Yamaha Decals. "Maybe you can find some use for these on one of your bikes"

These decals look very similar to what I think is supposed to be on my bike.
                    When I get home, I very quickly run the part number through Partzilla only to find THESE ARE THE YAMAHA DECALS for my lower belly pan. They fit NO OTHER bike only the 1986 FJ1200. These are the matching Pearl White Background with the extremely dark Navy Blue Lettering.

There are a few people peddling OEM decals at $60 each. David handed me six(6) of them!!!

This is a very STRANGE coincidence..... They sure do help my bike get closer to done.....All I need now is the little red arrows trimmed with dark navy blue...

Kurt Boehringer
                    Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Rare as Hen's Teeth.

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
                      I want one now, more than I did before reading it
                      Brian & Bonz,
                      I've found that these bikes seem to be extremely hard to find... I don't know if that is related to production numbers or if people just don't want to sell them. I suspect it's likely a bit of both.

I have a heck of a lot easier time finding XS11's. There are a couple on Craigslist in the greater ATL area right now. The closest FJ1200 related item I could find is a handful of parts someone is offering in Charlotte, NC. (none of those parts do I need).

I frequently do an "Around the country" look at all the Craigslists and have found NOTHING anywhere. The last "Bike" I saw semi-nearby was the '93 I grabbed in Tennessee and stripped for parts (I made a tidy profit on that one!)

If you see one, grab it! The later years have ABS and apparently much better front forks, and 17" tires. The 16's are a pain in the butt to find GOOD tires for......
                      Kurt Boehringer
                      Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

The 3XW with ABS had non adjustable forks, the 3CV had adjustable forks like the 36Y 1100 and 1TX 1200.
                        The 1TX 1200, like the 36Y 1100, used twin opposed piston front brake calipers, but the 3CV and 3XW 1200's used four piston opposed brake calipers.
                        With the later 1200 models you can use the Yamaha blue spot brake calipers which have better stopping power over the standards.
                        Also, like you say, the later versions had a 17" front wheel.

Comment

WP_20200317_16_25_43_Pro_LI by Billy Bananahead, on Flickr

Comment

[QUOTE....
                            If you see one, grab it! The later years have ABS and apparently much better front forks, and 17" tires. The 16's are a pain in the butt to find GOOD tires for......[/QUOTE]

Ya, but the red one looks soooo good!
                            '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                            '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                            '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
                              [QUOTE....
                              If you see one, grab it! The later years have ABS and apparently much better front forks, and 17" tires. The 16's are a pain in the butt to find GOOD tires for......
                              Ya, but the red one looks soooo good![/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Does the FZR1000 romp the FJ1200 in performance?

With that said, I don't see the thread for the FZR. How do those things go away if there's no moderator? Do they auto archive?
                              Last edited by Bonz; 05-03-2020, 07:19 PM.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

FZR vs. FJ1200

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                                Does the FZR1000 romp the FJ1200 in performance?
                                With that said, I don't see the thread for the FZR. How do those things go away if there's no moderator? Do they auto archive?
                                Bonz,
                                OH... HECK YES! The FZR is a freaky beast that will destroy the FJ1200...NO CONTEST! However, if just cruising along at highway speeds the "Roll On" response from the FJ is better in any cruising gear. For the FZR, I have to drop a gear and hit the throttle and the FZR will MOMENTARILLY hesitate then take off like a freaky rocket ship wanting to pull the front off the ground. Again, that is if one is just putzing along enjoying the scenery. If already in the higher RPM range of the FZR, there is absolutely zero hesitation.

However, these are just totally different machines. The FZR DEFINATELY corners better and at higher speed. It provides a great deal of rider confidence after just a mile or two in the saddle.... Forks are better, brakes are better, seating position is more aggressive, tires are better (Pirelli Diablo tires [or similar] are not available for the FJ's 16's).

I refer to the FZR as a 100 mile machine.... If your planning on riding more than 100 miles (round trip) TAKE ANOTHER MACHINE!!!! I'm slightly beyond mid-50's and the FZR is just not comfortable for anything more than 100 miles....

I can't wait to get them BOTH up to the Vintage Yamaha Rally this fall! The FZR was there last year and it was a blast on those mountain roads. This year we'll take the FJ1200 also and use it as our primary ride for the rally.

I can see the FZR thread in the other bikes area just a couple down from this thread. I also have a magazine article from a review of that one I'll post as soon as I can.....
                                Kurt Boehringer
                                Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky