No announcement yet.

1986 fj1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good, Kurt! That bike will be a real beauty. Bet it'll be fast, too.
    79 F
    Previously owned: (among others)
    1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
    1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
    1973 Suzuki TM 125
    1979 XS1100 F
    2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
    1991 BMW K75

Comment

It's Alive and sounds FANTASTIC!

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
      Bet it'll be fast, too.
      Mark,
      Thanks, I suspect it will be pretty quick. The more I work on it the more I see the bike's big brother the XS11 in its's DNA. This really looks like it was built on the lessons learned from the XS11.

FJ1200 UPDATE - IT RUNS!! Beautifully!
      Looks like I have a winner here!

I am always very afraid when I purchase a NON-RUNNER. I could have ended up with a bike with a blown motor. This one seemed to have been parked due to the PO running into something which resulted in the fork damage, missing/smashed fender etc. But there could have been major issues that were not so clearly evident.

All indications were that the long period of inactivity led to carb issues which the PO was trying to fix but he was ill-equipped to resolve them. But one really never knows what else is going to be wrong with the bike other than the typical totally neglected regular maintenance?

I got all the carbs put back together and installed, mostly like putting together a jig-saw puzzle without the photo of the finished product. The PO removed the carbs, I got them in a box! The Clymer manual was very useful but doesn't cover every nut & bolt or every cable & tie. Fortunately, I was able to figure it out.

Before starting, I decided to better have a look at the air filter just to make sure it actually had one..... FOUND THIS:

Seems a field mouse or other small critter was using the air box as a nest. Looks like the remains of a mop head and he had a bunch of grass seed piled up in here too! Guess he was planning on a long cold winter.... VERY GLAD I LOOKED FIRST!

But, the machine runs extremely well. The brakes are all crap so that's the next project. I can take a breather and relax a bit knowing the motor sounds ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT. There was no point in buying brake parts for a bike that might have had a bad motor....

Here he sits idling beautiful with his younger brother my FZR1000 (my other very expensive bike also a $600 purchase).

The FJ1200 still needs a front fender and a lower fairing and a lot of routine maintenance items including caliper rebuilds and new lines....

I plan to slow down a bit now that I am sure of the motor I can hunt for the couple missing pieces and wait for a deal or two. Now the target is the last week of September for the VYR.

Since this had been a sub-topic of this other bike discussion.... here's the total so far:
      • Purchase Price $600 CASH
      • Complete Carb Kits $160 ($40 x4)
      • Front Forks & Fender Brace $110 (Evil-Bay)
      • New Fuel Hoses & Misc $30 (AutoZone)
      • Clutch Slave Rebuild Kit $20 (had it on the shelf didn't use with FZR)
      • Tank Cleaning Chemicals $30 (had these also but to be honest must include)
      • TOTAL Spent (not invested SPENT!) $950

Note: For the sake of COMPLETE $$ honesty, the PO provided some items we typically need to replace as part of the purchase price of the bike:
      • New Maintenance Free Battery Installed: ~$100 +/-
      • New OEM Brake Master: ~$130 +/-
      • Used Great Condition Clutch Master: ~$40 +/- (Evil-Bay)
      • New Gas Cap (Chinese Re-Pop): ~$20 +/-
      • New Set of NGK Plugs: ~$10 +/-
      • New OEM Oil Filter: ~$15 (not yet put into service)
      • New OEM Fuel Pump: ~$75 +/- (this year bike doesn't use an electric pump the newer FJ1200s do.... Guess this will help a friend out)
      • SO, the PO provided ~$390 dollars worth of parts effectively decreasing the purchase price down to ~$210.00

THAT'S A DEAL IN MY WORLD!!! Might make up for one or two of the times I took it in the back side!

BUT, here's what it needs THAT I KNOW OF:
      • Pair of TIRES $250 (Pirelli Preferred, current look good but are mis-matched)
      • New Stainless Brake Lines $175
      • Brake Caliper Rebuild Kits $60 (Evil-Bay)
      • Front Fender $100 (Evil-bay Planned VERY HARD TO FIND)
      • Lower Spoiler $180 (Fiberglass re-pop - Used ABS are junk)
      • Paint & Body Supplies $50
      • Misc. Unforseen Expenses $250 (A Budgetary Figure)
      • SO, I will spend $2000 on this bike before it is safe and reliable to ride.

The target now is the last week of September (VYR). I don't want this to perform or look like a $600 bike at the Rally!!

THOUGHTS?

Sincerely,
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

If you removed the grass seed, the mop head strands would be a good air filter!

Congratulations on getting it running nicely without discovering any problems.

You should be pleased at the budget analysis. You have room to rationalize some more treats.

I still think the FZR and the FJ look like brothers.

We're enjoying following your project, especially with the pictures.
        -Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

As Rare as Rocking Horse poooop

XS Friends,
          Well the bike runs....now is time to fix all the other stuff.

I'm missing the front 1/2 of the front fender but I had the damaged rear section. Yamaha decided to put a multi-piece fender on the front of this model which probably seemed like a good idea. The fender set is certainly very easy to remove but too many off/on events or a slight altercation and the Plastic fender is a goner.

According to my new FJ friends, finding a good replacement is like: "Trying to find Rocking Horse *&^%". So, I better try to fix the 1/2 I have....

Two of the mounting tabs were completely busted off and missing. I decided I needed a little "Re-Bar" to build off of, otherwise whatever I put on here is just gonna break off. if it's not tied to the existing fender very well.

4d Finish nails drilled into the existing structure with 2-part epoxy...

Then, we gotta build a little more of something to create a base (fiberglass & resin).

Follow up with some resin jelly.

I won't say it's good as new but it's darn sure stronger with those nails embedded in the resin and drilled back into the fender! A little paint and one might not notice it was busted to heck.

Much more to do....
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

An unwise trip around the block.

XS11 Friends,
            Figured I'd post up a little note on the FJ1200 as I've made a little progress.

A week or so back I, I'm embarrassed to say, I thought the FJ was safe enough for quick trip around the block. Brakes were all working well (even with the old lines), tires were decent and properly aired, motor running nice.

On the first corner the A$$ felt a little "Funny" didn't think much about it until the second corner when it again felt "Funny" kinda like it was slipping on ice. Weird Took it slow and ended up safely in the drive. Started poking around the rear and found the wheel felt like crap. Bearings obviously bad.

I ALWAYS change ALL the wheel bearings on ALL the bikes but was rather anxious for a QUICK SPIN... Luckily, I didn't get killed with this "Funny" rear end. These were the WORST bearings I have EVER seen on ANYTHING I have ever purchased.

Everything was replaced today all three(3) rear wheel bearings and the seals. I won't drive it again until I replace the fronts and really check this bike over better.

I have made some progress on the front fender. I found this on Evil-Bay in Europe and all it needs is some red paint to match the rear portion.

Seems every time I look at this machine I see the XS11 in it's bones. This is the follow-up machine to the XS11 and they made many improvements. However, I'm not too happy with the new location of the oil filter. I suppose the lower fairing, factory oil cooler, and improved exhaust left no room for an XS11 style/location for the filter assy. Yamaha provided a drain plug/screw in the housing to drain it but it's still a damn mess trying to pull the assembly. Oil everywhere and the install is troublesome as well.... Impossible to see the alignment tab and avoid the side stand switch.

Making some progress but Tax Time is upon us and I need to prepare to send off some $$$ to Washington.... So they can spend it on something more stupid than my Yama-Holic obsession.

Kurt Boehringer
            Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
            1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
            1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Thanks for posting an update Kurt, along with the collection pictures!
              '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
              '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
              '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

You could try a spin-on oil filter adapter.
                http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetai...nfilteradapter

Comment

Purchased ANOTHER ONE.... (not really - Parts donor only)

Quickie update.....
                  I've been searching for a chin spoiler since I got the bike.... There is a guy that sells these re-pop of fiberglass out of Ohio for $250 and another place in UK they can be purchased if a member of their club and would be basically the same price...

Found this offered very cheap on Craigs up in Maryville Tennessee....

So, Nancy and I have a nice little adventure this morning heading up to Tennessee to grab it up. We picked this up very near to Tellico Plains. Those that attend the annual Vintage Yamaha Rally should know this town. IT's at the OTHER end of Cherahola Skyway...

We were tempted to give the Skyway a run. However, a Honda Accord dragging a lawn trailer with a YAMAHA in it is just not that cool...

The donor silver/blue bike purchased is a severe crash victim and the motor is total JUNK (broken cases and damaged head) but it did have a chin spoiler!!! AND when the PO of my bike did whatever he did to damage the spoiler he also dented the head pipes (not terrible but dented nonetheless). The donor bike will also contribute its perfect head pipes and rust free exhaust plenum to my restoration.

Overall, the bike cost me just about the same as a new chin spoiler. My Friends on the FJOwners.com forum will likely need some of the other pieces so I should easily cover my small out-of-pocket for this.

Don't worry Mike, this one is headed for the trash heap once all the good stuff is stripped off of it. This one does not count in our competition!!!!

Now all I have to do is paint and decal all the mismatched pieces!!

Sincerely,
                  Kurt Boehringer
                  Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                  1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                  1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post

Don't worry Mike, this one is headed for the trash heap once all the good stuff is stripped off of it. This one does not count in our competition!!!!
                    I saw that picture of another bike on a trailer, and I assumed it was all over for me.

That's a perfect find to support your project. It looks pretty decent in the picture.
                    -Mike
                    _________
                    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Buy a chin spoiler... Get the rest of the bike for free

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                      It looks pretty decent in the picture.
                      Actually, that's the "GOOD" side. The fairing doesn't actually exist on the other side Apparently, according to the junk yard owner, the guy did a high-side on it. The bike itself hit a guard rail (low on the right) causing the frame/motor damage. Then the bike slid down the road for a while on it's left side causing all the fairing & misc. damage to the left side. Also according to the seller, the rider broke both of his legs. OUCH!!! The rider has apparently recovered and now rides a bike incapable of high speeds, at least he is still a rider.

There are still a great deal of good parts on this thing and the Tank is actually in good shape with just a couple quarter-size dings/dents. I'm thinking of this the only way I can: "Buy a Chin-Spoiler, get the rest of the bike for FREE"
                      Kurt Boehringer
                      Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Looks like a painting weekend.....

XS Friends....

Made a little progress today. Social Distancing and all decided to stay and work on the FJ.

Primered the pieces all up today (two fender parts and the Chin spoiler).

Was able to get the Chin spoiler painted in White Pearl (AKA "Silky White" per Yamaha color).

Not looking forward to the Red (AKA "Stormy Red" per Yamaha Color). I don't like reds or blacks. More difficult than other colors. If weather permitting, I will get 'er done tomorrow. They don't sell replacement decals and the lower chin is two color (white & red decal) gonna try painting it on..... UGH....

Also replaced the rear signals. The OEM signals were in good shape but stuck out 1.5" further. Looked stupid. I assume they were that way for those that add luggage. These are stock for a SECA 600 and pull them in quite a bit. Still maybe a little wide but MUCH better than before.

More work to accomplish tomorrow as the USPS delivered the new front wheel bearings and a clutch safety switch. Might wait on the new tires so I don't have to pull the wheel twice.

Kurt Boehringer
                        Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Hi Kurt,
                          Just a suggestion. Maybe you could find Red vinyl tape to imitate the red decal that is not available.

Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Decals Available

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                            Hi Kurt,
                            Just a suggestion. Maybe you could find Red vinyl tape to imitate the red decal that is not available.
                            Phil
                            Phil,
                            Thanks for the suggestion. Our friend Fred, who has attended the VYR once or twice showed me a place I can buy the decals.

https://rddecals.afegraphics.com/ind...20Red-White%27

I'm really happy they are available!!! I'm pretty good at painting (single colors). BUT, I have little or no experience with multiple colors. I've played around a little bit with scraps and the results were very poor. Since the decals are available, I can stick to the single color work I am "pretty good" at.

Unfortunately, I'm on a "Corona Virus Spending Freeze". Although my wife and I are still working basically normal schedules, we're severely limiting our discretionary spending. I can get away with a $25 set of wheel bearings or a cheap $10 switch but the $200 decal kit is out-of-the-question at the moment.

Thanks for watching Phil....
                            Kurt Boehringer
                            Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                            1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                            1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Fender & Brake Lines!!!!

XS Friends,
                              I completed the fender project and I'm extremely pleased with the results.

A year or so back the guys in my UK FZR Forum turned me on to Goodridge SS brake lines. They were FANTASTIC on my FZR. I just received my set for my '86 FJ1200 and I just can't wait to get them on the bike. No more mushy 34 year old brake lines. Honestly, I haven't been willing to drive any of my bikes on old lines and change them immediately. The darn thing might be fast but it better STOP when I need it to.

I found that there are several folks peddling brake lines and many are not DOT approved or pressure tested like each line from Goodridge. Additionally, even with across the pond shipping, the Goodridge lines are about $40 cheaper than the USA competition AND all the banjos and fittings were INCLUDED! The only downside is a 2-3 week wait from the UK.

Looking forward to a safe set of brakes: New Master on front, rebuild master on rear, new pads all around, new SS lines that are rated for 10 years of service and pass every highway regulation on the planet!

Kurt Boehringer
                              Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                              1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Finish Line in Sight????

Making progress.....Took her out for a 50 mile ride last Saturday. Taking her to work tomorrow (50 miles one way).

For my upcoming birthday, Nancy purchased the March 1986 CYCLE WORLD with the review of this bike. Take a look at that description of this beast....

Still a lot to do to make this a show stopper.....Waiting on decals, tires, a bit of painting yet to accomplish, and some other minor tidbits..... But she's coming along!!!

Sincerely,
                                Kurt Boehringer
                                Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky