No announcement yet.

1986 fj1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If all my bikes had that red and white color scheme I would be a happy man.

I was meaning in the mid-range for roll on in terms of the performance. I knew the FZR would kick its butt in overall speed potential.

You know, with flat slide carbs on the FZR, You want to modulate the throttle input with your wrist. You are doing the job that the atmosphere does with CV carbs.

You probably knew that, but that may help with the hesitation by not going all-in with your right wrist but dial it in for that initial hit.

I have adapted 40mm CV Keihin ZZR 1200 carbs on to my ZRX 1200 in place of the stock 36mm CV Keihin carbs. My Lord what a difference in response and the dyno shows a 12 horsepower gain and 8 foot pounds. Below 1800-2000 RPM in first and second gear though it just takes a second to gather itself up before it takes off for the moon if I go WFO. I have been massaging the carbs and the pilot jet size and everything I can to mitigate it for a long time. So, I just dial the throttle in gently for the first split second and then I can roll it all in. . I pretend I have flat slides makes me feel cool. Lol!
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Already plenty of power

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
      If all my bikes had that red and white color scheme I would be a happy man.
      SNIP
      ….with flat slide carbs on the FZR....
      SNIP
      Bonz,
      These are the FIRST vehicles I've EVER owned RED in color. My favorite is blue and I currently have several blues or shades of blue bikes/cars. The colors have begun to grow on me a bit...

The FZR has a particular "Snap" or "Bite" or "Raspy" sound to the carbs/intakes. When the air box is off for tuning or some other purpose it is an extremely prominent "snappy?" sound. Kinda hard to describe...….definitely not like any of the other bikes.

I have no intention of playing around with the jets etc. on either of these bikes. The FZR has the performance level 1 kit in the carbs from FactoryPro. This was the only way I could replace the bad needles as they came with that kit. Supposed to be SLIGHTLY better than OEM configuration. Any more (or higher) performance and I'd probably kill myself on this thing.

Equally so on the FJ1200. Seems perfect to me with no hesitation in any portion of the power band. Makes eyes water in every gear if really getting on it. No need for more..... my old a$$ couldn't handle any more. It does have a SLIGHTLY better "Roll On" than the FZR.

Kurt
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Yeah, I could hear almost like a little rattlesnake tail when I watched your video a while back on the FZR. Flat slides that don't use vacuum to lift the slide have that clackity clack sound.

They are very good for response and make the most power on a given engine typically.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Trying to fix creates another issue - UGH!!!

XS11 Friends,

I was trying to fix this mess at the cap:

And I THOUGHT I had done a pretty good job of prep and paint.

The color from PPG is not exactly the same but as long as I don't do a partial panel unlikely anyone will notice. I'm not entirely sure what caused the rusty area around the cap but it is certain the bike spent a lot of time outside. The bike was also inoperable for a least several years. I think, water under the cap and possibly the bad cap seal led to this issue.... who knows?

Anyway, I got it painted and was PRETTY happy with the results..... UNTIL I PULLED THE TAPE. A small chunk of the Dark Navy Blue stripe came with the mask-off tape....
          I AM SOOOOOOOO PI$$$$$$$$ED.

Now I have to figure out how to fix/hide that crappy spot...... UGH UGH
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Bummed for you!
            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Is there any hope that you can peel the missing blue tape off of the masking tape and stick back on the tank?
              -- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Decals at a later date....

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                Is there any hope that you can peel the missing blue tape off of the masking tape and stick back on the tank?
                Scott,
                I Wish..... I tried to separate the piece from the tape with a razor but it just broke into tiny little bits.

I all honesty, I'm working kinda half-ass. I should just bite the bullet and buy the decals and paint the whole tank properly. But, I'm on a KINDA Covid-19 spending freeze. The red part of the tank has a couple little dings in it not too hard to repair but again more work and inevitably more $$$.

I purchased the paints and have plenty. The fender and chin spoiler didn't take too much paint. BUT, The decal kit is a bit pricey.... It'll have to wait.

Overall, the tank will look better than it did with the rust and bare metal. I'll just fill in the spot with a SHARPIE () won't notice it from 10+ feet away. Eventually, the COVID will be in the rear view mirror and I can spend like an idiot again...... and properly do the tank bottom (red) and the decals.

Nancy has been a peach about these bikes....Not a complaint about the $$$$ as I have spent a lot on: Tires, Brakes, Carb Kits, Brake Lines, New Saddle (photo coming next post) and other misc necessities to make it run and safe. But the decal kit is a bit over the top FOR NOW.

I'll post a photo of my seat....need some opinions....

KURT
                Kurt Boehringer
                Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Seat by Smitty's Seat Covers - Roanoke Alabama

XS11 Friends,
                  I need some honest opinions please.....

I had a spare seat from the '93 donor and decided to let my regular seat guy have a whirl at recovering. The seat was absolute crap as the donor bike had sat in the elements for some time.

I told my guy I wanted a TOUCH of red. "Maybe a stripe, I don't care, just add a little red to the seat cover." I'm kinda looking for a stock bike but a little deviation is fine (my opinion).

Maybe I gave him too much latitude? Smitty is a "Harley Guy" and the vast majority of his business in HD seats. When I first saw this I was trying to bite my tongue as anything wrong was my fault for not giving precise directions.

However, it's beginning to grow on me a LITTLE BIT. and it is very comfortable. I still have the plain Jane OEM seat with a couple minor punctures in it. It could be used as is or re-done plain jane and this could be a spare.

Overall, the quality of the seat is great. Smitty has done FANTASTIC work on other seats for me (pics below).

Smitty had to replace and re-shape all the bad foam, and the under attachment is absolutely great. The price was darn good too for a "Custom" seat. Just maybe I needed to give him a little more guidance?

If anyone is interested, he does do great work like this with custom stitching for the FZR:

And this one he did for my XS11 Ugly Duck:

Seriously...... Do you like this seat on the FJ1200?

P.S. You might see the SHARPIE fix on the tank in this photo...
                  Last edited by kboehringer; 05-10-2020, 04:45 PM.
                  Kurt Boehringer
                  Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                  1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                  1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Nice sharpie fix! Maybe he'll do up the other one at a discount since it's not quite what you wanted. Then figure out which one is most comfortable.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Looks really sharpie! The tank fix looks great, too. (slow grin)
                      -- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Kurt. any less RED in that seat and you wont see it. Of course once you plant your butt on it nobody else will see it I think it looks great. Is there a waterproof layer under the stitching ? If not the foam will get wet and take days to dry.

Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I actually think the seat looks pretty cool. Sorta adds a little 'personality'. Fairly subtle, but adds a little zip to the overall look.
                          79 F
                          Previously owned: (among others)
                          1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                          1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                          1973 Suzuki TM 125
                          1979 XS1100 F
                          2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                          1991 BMW K75

Comment

Shock Wave

Kurt,

IT WORKS, I like it

Smitty sure does nice work. Beautiful and it looks like it will be comfortable.

Your 'SHOCK WAVE' saddle

hum, look familiar??

Something unique and appropriate for a fast bike.

Jeff
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I generally keep my bikes stock, but I like the seat with the red stitching. I was expecting some loud red panels when I started reading the post. Then I saw the picture, and realized it not loud or obnoxious, it's tasteful.

For the decal, if it were me, I'd consider looking for a small navy blue decal (any decal for a car or whatever) that was bigger than the failed the spot. I would measure the width the of the stripe and the cut the new material to the same width. Then I would overlay it on the tank before installing it and cut through both decals so the new decal would be a good fit. I assume you might have to suffer though some clear coat touch-up, though.

I'm going through the same agony trying to save the original paint on the Venturer tank. By now, I should have just stripped and re-painted it. I'm praying it turns out OK.
                              -Mike
                              _________
                              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Thanks for the feedback

XS11 Friends,
                                Thanks for the feedback on the seat. As I stated, it is beginning to grow on me and it is very comfortable....

Nancy recommended that he could have just used the red stitching on the side panel seams and that would have been sufficient. When/If I give him the other seat (the original from this bike), I will likely ask for it to be made in that way.

I'm hopeful, he placed a water barrier under the stitching as mentioned. He does a LOT of seats and I assume he thought of that.... I'll have to ask.

Smitty (my seat guy) is planning to attend the VYR in Stecoah. He normally drags around his bike in a trailer filled with seat materials and sewing machines. Although I encouraged him to come and enjoy the weekend with our group as a rider & friend (even if he is on a HD ), he may end up bringing his work trailer and could do some great work in short order.....

Thanks again,
                                KURT (& Nancy)
                                Kurt Boehringer
                                Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky