X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nerds, Guns and Collateral Damage

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
    Quote:
    I'd put it in a safe in my living room and sit in front of it holding a revolver."
    Quote:
    for numerous reasons the before mentioned would be an unwise one.
    EXACTLY!! Because all the crooks carry semi and full auto stuff!
    Tod
    >
    Hi Tod,
    yeah, these days it'd be one of those drum-fed 20-round mix'n'match ammo recoilless shotguns?
    But back when Nevil Chute wrote that book an English author's idea of a
    good handgun was a Webley .455 service revolver. Yes the .45 ACP had been
    around for decades by then but along with the European semi-auto pistols the
    Brits of that time thought them unreliable.
    As you have probably heard in the news, a guy named Madoff made off with over 50 billion dollars of other people's money and he didn't use a gun to do it. In the big picture, it's the nerd with a brief case, pencile, computer and prospectus that is the most dangerous of all the world's predators. As far as pistols, I prefer an S&W .40 cal. model 4006/4043/4046 as the best all around defensive handgun. My Dan Wesson .44 cal. wheel gun is my weapon of choice for guarding my sh-t in my garage as my Remington semi-automatic 12 guage shotgun might wreck my Camaro along with the thieves/burglars............one must be careful killing people in ones garage and keep the collateral damage to an acceptable level. Naturally, guarding ones financial portfolio from the nerds requires a great deal more finesse in addition to a good Barrister.
    81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Dan,

Well...

Since this thread has gottten way off track, I thought I'd compliment you on your choice of handguns.

I used to have a Dan Wesson .44mag (stainless 8' barrel pistol pac). That gun had the best off-the-shelf trigger and accuracy of any handgun I've ever owned...wish I still had it.

My current home defense weapon is a Ruger P95DC 9mm, with tritium sights and loaded with Black Talons which are unobtanuim nowadays, due to anti-gun hysteria over rounds designed to kill efficiently...(isn't that the idea?). It's not as sexy as a .40 but very effective just the same, and has never jammed over several thousand rounds of various loads.
      Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Getting Back On Track

Originally posted by Guy_b_g View Post
        Dan,

Well...

Since this thread has gottten way off track, I thought I'd compliment you on your choice of handguns.

I used to have a Dan Wesson .44mag (stainless 8' barrel pistol pac). That gun had the best off-the-shelf trigger and accuracy of any handgun I've ever owned...wish I still had it.

My current home defense weapon is a Ruger P95DC 9mm, with tritium sights and loaded with Black Talons which are unobtanuim nowadays, due to anti-gun hysteria over rounds designed to kill efficiently...(isn't that the idea?). It's not as sexy as a .40 but very effective just the same, and has never jammed over several thousand rounds of various loads.
        These days it seems everything is either off the track or headed in that direction. The Ruger is a fine piece and the 9mm round is popular around the world however the St. Louis City and County Police Departments have nixed the 9mm combination in favor of the .40 cal. because of the increased stopping power of the .40 cal round. The S&W .40 cal auto needs a little tweaking too the trigger mechanism to reduce and smooth out the trigger pull. Some of the early ones had magazine and feed ramp problems causing them to jam when you got down to the last couple of rounds in the magazine however these problems have been resolved and if you keep them clean they are trouble free. In July I was at the police range and shot 500 rounds for the qualification course and didn't have one malfunction. No automatic is going to be as accurate as a good wheel gun but in todays world of combat shooting fire power is more important than dead nut accuracy. As for stock pistols, a German made Walther 9mm auto is a Mercedes and when it comes to stock wheel guns, the Dan Wesson .44 cal. magnum and the .357 Colt Python is the creme de la creme of stock wheel guns. I have some smoked over S&W's that are better but we were talking about stock. I still have some stock .40 cal. Black Talon stuff but basically I do my own loading so I'll know what I got. Mention is made that the Army is digging out the old M-14's again because the Sweet 16 doesn't have the stopping power needed in Iraq. The old Russian tank Sergeant's AK-47 is the hot set up and has been since 1947 but that's another story and I've got to get back on track because Channel Eleven is after all about Japanese motorcycles and other American stuff.

Comment

I'm fond of my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag with 10 1/2" barrel. My most recent purchase was a Mossberg model 500, 8-shot, w/20" barrel. I'd like to get another barrel in case I get an itch to shoot skeet (are they endangered yet?).

<political insert>
          I am all for the NRA, gun registration, CCW permits, etc. My reticence is having my name on a list. 'If' the gun control advocates get their way then these lists will be available for confiscation. I am told that that is not allowed, the names are confidential...... ha, there is no confidentiality anymore. Just posting this reply could be raising flags that could be saved for future reference.
          Question:
          Is it illegal to dispose of a firearm by disabling it (cut it in half) and throwing it in the trash? I asked this at a few gun shops and they said that the firearm should be brought to a gunshop, they can use the parts. That didn't answer my question. Are there illegal ways of disposing of a firearm?
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I'm more into high capacity like my Intratec TEC-DC9 or my SKS M59/66 with grenade launcher and bayonet, for when I run out of bullets.
            http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Just posting this reply could be raising flags that could be saved for future reference
              "Your file has been updated."
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578 View Post
                "Your file has been updated."
                Update mine too, the end is near anyways!

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 01-02-2009, 09:18 PM. Reason: picture layout

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

Firearm Disposal

Originally posted by Pat Kelly View Post
                  I'm fond of my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag with 10 1/2" barrel. My most recent purchase was a Mossberg model 500, 8-shot, w/20" barrel. I'd like to get another barrel in case I get an itch to shoot skeet (are they endangered yet?).

<political insert>
                  I am all for the NRA, gun registration, CCW permits, etc. My reticence is having my name on a list. 'If' the gun control advocates get their way then these lists will be available for confiscation. I am told that that is not allowed, the names are confidential...... ha, there is no confidentiality anymore. Just posting this reply could be raising flags that could be saved for future reference.
                  Question:
                  Is it illegal to dispose of a firearm by disabling it (cut it in half) and throwing it in the trash? I asked this at a few gun shops and they said that the firearm should be brought to a gunshop, they can use the parts. That didn't answer my question. Are there illegal ways of disposing of a firearm?
                  Yes there is, ditto for ammunition. You should contact your local police agency or the ATF in your area for the proper (legal) protocol for the disposal of unwanted firearms and ammunition. Your right to own and posses a gun is protected by the 2nd. Amendment however the government can and does have the right to regulate the type of gun and ammunition you can own and what you do with it. There was a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision involving the District Of Columbia on the 2nd. Amendment relating to this issue. If you purchased a firearm from a dealer, your name is already on a list as the serial number is registered to you. If you buy a legal gun from an individual you don't have to register it under Federal law but somebody had to register it originally when it was first purchased and their name is on a list. There is a computer data base maintained by the FBI at Quantico Va. that contains among other things fingerprints on most everybody and soon DNA samples of everybody who gets arrested by the police, military personnel and so forth. The days of complete confidentiality and or hiding from the government is a pipe dream.Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hodges View Post
                    and soon DNA samples of everybody who gets arrested by the police, military personnel and so forth.
                    The military put our DNA on file back in 1996 while I was in boot camp.

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

When I went to boot camp I don't think they took my DNA, but I think that was the only thing they did not take!! I have never in my life been that well "inspected" again, hope it never does happen. Well, unless it is by that chick on the bike Steppenwolf posted.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

DNA File

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
                        The military put our DNA on file back in 1996 while I was in boot camp.
                        I understand that but I was referring to the FBI's DNA data base not the military's. Presently, civilian police agencies do not have access to such military information without a court order. Every time someone gets arrested and fingerprinted by the civilian police two of the print cards are forwarded to the FBI at Quantico. They also maintain print cards on everybody who was ever in the military. Eventually DNA samples will be taken by the police when you are booked like prints are now and forwarded also but this procedure is not yet allowed by the courts. The protocol for handling the criminal history of military personel charged with a violation of the code of military justice occuring on military property differs from that of the civil system.

Comment

Although the DNA held by the military could be brought into evidence by court order by civilian authorities, the main reason that the military collects DNA is for ID of soldier's remains collected on the battlefield.
                          Guy

'78E

Comment

&quot;They just wanted to clone me!&quot;

Bollocks!
                            I bribed medics... put false documentation in my medical records... managed to hide from that tyranny for years, but in the end, they finally got it from me. (I did manage to sneak by without getting the anthrax and nerve agent vaccine cocktails)
                            I've been retired and out of "danger" now for ten years... Why won't they give me my DNA profile back?
                            Nice way for the govt. to get a data base of people with training who know how to handle weapons.

Same as all those community programs...
                            "Bring your children to the police dept. Have them fingerprinted for free... in case they ever go missing."
                            Sure... I did that one. (except... I was the one who kept the cards)

"Oh Prom... you're such an alarmist! You see evil everywhere. The govt. doesn't have motives like that"
                            Really?
                            If I ruled a country with an iron fist... those would be the first programs that I'd institute nation-wide. (...and fingerprints on drivers licenses, and National ID cards, and... starting to sound familiar?)

While still in the army, I had one of the higher ranking civilians on base talk me out of doing something foolish. You see, for various reasons... I had wanted, through the "Freedom of Information Act" to see just what the FBI had on me in their files.
                            "Yes," he said, "I can help you request your info from the FBI through the FOIA... and then they'll put your name in a file of "People who've requested their file info, etc".
                            Nothing like puttin' yerself further under their watchful eye.

Tread lightly, question motives... trust no one.
                            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Ah yes...Politics...Guns...Big Brother...whats next...oh Religion...
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey Prom,

Not saying that the DNA info couldn't be used for other purposes, or that just having it on file doesn't open up doors for future misuse by the government...just saying that the "original" use for the DNA files is as I've stated. I ran a criminal law office for 10th Mountain my last 3 years in, and never got whiff of any ulterior motives...but then again, I was at Bagram Airbase (Afghanistan)when some nasty stuff went down at the Bagram Detainee Center, and I never heard anything except rumours there either..so who knows?

If you ever want to be concerned about where our country has been headed for the last few years just watch a documentary called "taxi ride to the dark side"...if you aren't a bit paranoid about what we are capable of now, you will be after that flick. And I know of cases which were under investigation at that time (2003-2004) that never saw the light of day and probably never will, that make the stuff in that movie seem tame.

If I had had a choice, I wouldn't have submitted a DNA sample either, no matter what the reason. Once the Genie is outta the bottle, you ain't gettin' him back in there.
                                Guy

'78E

Comment

Working...
                                X