2017 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's it goin', Joe!

Florida should be fun, are you taking a flight back East or riding the Venturer when you get it running?
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• It's going well

Hello Scott, It is going well, I hope for you the same.
      I have been enjoying your progress reports with your new bike and technical advice as well...(I think you enjoy working on these bikes don't you ?)
      My new bike actually ran (kinda) when I got it but still decided to go through it before taking it on the road , overall not too much buggery from po although I discovered little spring by pickup coils to prevent it from advancing the timing.??? missing a few nuts and bolts on fairing and lowers, no keys for fairing or saddlebags, cracked windsheild ...Other than that doesn't need much other than general maintenance...I took it for a 100 mile shakedown run yesterday and it runs and rides very well...I'm not going to ride it to Florida because I am actually going down to Fl twice , once in June and again in July, I can't take too much time off work! If I can get Photo bucket to work I will post some pictures .
      78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Bonz,

I use Castrol 4T motorcycle oil- 20W50.

I read that in my Kawi manual about 10W40 being recommended, but...

I've never been a big fan of that viscosity. Years ago, I worked as an ASE mechanic for a fleet operation in Tulsa. My boss, a 65 year old guy, had researched all oils, brands, and viscosities. He chose Castrol 20W50 for the fleet.
        He had found 10W40 uses the highest % of enzymes in the oil to break viscosity, at a cost of lubricating ability. 10W40 had the highest, at 7%.
        20W50 was 3%. To him, that meant 4% more lubricating ability.

I have used this brand since 1990. I once had to do a valve job on an Isuzu Trooper I owned. Bought it new. It had 165,000 miles on it at that time.
        Tore it down, everything looked golden and brand new. I mic'd the top end... It was all on the new side of spec.
        Only reason it burned the exhaust valve? The 4ZE1 engines had a habit of running too hot in the #3 cylinder and doing this. That engine was still running like new at 227,000 miles when I traded it off for my daughter an automatic transmissioned car.

The only disadvantages to using this oil? It's price- $6/qt. C14 takes 5qts.
        Cold weather... I don't run this viscosity in my trucks if the weather's around -0-.
        We had a bad fleet experience one year. Zero for 2weeks, ice/snow on the ground... the fuel injected vehicles would flood out if the engine didn't crank over fast enough. We had 143 that ALL experienced this on the same day!
        Sucked to be a mechanic on duty that day. Worked my azz off!
        So, boss made a switch to 10W30. That worked great... until warm weather.
        When the temps got up in the mid-90's, every 460 Ford F350 we had came in knocking... like a bad crank bearing. We changed the oil back to 20W50... problem solved.

I have seen the comparison video showing the differences in flow charicteristics between dino and synth oils. In cold weather, synth is amazingly better.

Probably should be using synth, but I'm an old guy... and $12/qt is a bit high... even if it is true you can go twice as many miles between changes... And, I usually don't ride if it gets around freezing...(unless you count that time a couple years ago in the Colorado mountains with Greg, Tod, and John...) but that's another story. Lol!
        Bob
        Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 05-14-2017, 09:42 PM.
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• My Venturer

I picked this one up last week, Not completely done yet but getting closer
          78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Nice, Joe!
            Congrats!

That looks like the one Brant's got.
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Not as nice

Thanks Bob, It's not as nice as Brants but for $400 I won't complain !

Comment

• What Bob said. It looks like Brant's but without the bullet holes in the tank.

Yeah, can you tell I'm bored again, Joe?
                -- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Decent lookin' ride Joe! If you ever have an issue with those sidecase lids wanting to come unlatched while riding, the latch catches are intentionally adjustable.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Hey there "too busy Joe" ...........
                    really glad to see you finally got those rabbit ears adjusted and that you got back posting on channel 11

> That Venturer looks great. Nice find

> So I'm heading to Colorado in July to ride with you again and instead you are flying to FLA? ouch, that hurts

> keep us posted re: FLA travels and get a few more pics of your new Venturer for us to look at

Jeff
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                      Thanks Bob, It's not as nice as Brants but for $400 I won't complain !
                      Just don't put horns on it and make it poop. LOL
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                        I picked this one up last week, Not completely done yet but getting closer
                        Hi Joe,
                        Nice. I am envious
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• How is it running with the pods, and what exhaust is it running?
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                            How is it running with the pods, and what exhaust is it running?
                            That's a Mack 4 into 2 with turnouts. The same setup I had that ended up being my rideablity issue because it was too restrictive, for my engine anyway.
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Very nice Joe. Congrats on the new bike. I am very sorry to hear that you won't be there this year. I was really looking forward to riding with you again.
                              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                              '82 XJ1100
                              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Thanks guys

Thanks for the comments and thoughts about my new ride ,
                                I still have plenty to do before I consider it "done" but I am enjoying working on it ..
                                Motoman, thanks for the heads up about the latch catches being adjustable, I had keys made today but they wouldn't work on fairing so went to Home depot and got mailbox lock....It fits perfectly !
                                Jeff H Sorry to dissapoint ya by not being here for the rally It was a tough decision for me. I really enjoyed talking with you and slicing through the canyon on the way back from Pikes Peak last time,
                                Ba 80...No horns or pooping from this one maybe a Buffalo head and short tusks though ! lol
                                Maxim Phil, I'm glad you like my new bike, It popped up on craigslist the same day i sold my xj 650 and an rd 350 I figured I needed something new to fiddle with ..
                                Bonz, Greg is correct it is a Mac header it runs pretty good with that and the pods although I will try again to put stock airbox back on, My first attempt frustrated the hell outta me so I just put the pods on to do a little test riding ...
                                Bigfoot , Thanks and congrats on your new ride too I was looking forward to seeing it and you too.
                                I hope all of this years attendees have a great time. and I will be at next years rally .

Comment

Working...
                                X