No announcement yet.

2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What parts did you get, and will Colombo see another Colorado Rally now?!?!

Pretty much done tweaking the ZRX1200 carbs (Keihin downdraft 40mm, grafted on from a ZX11/ZZR1200, same carbs) after putting in the ZZR1200 cams and it is one pretty good running bike with a mid-range pull and top end that is awesome! Going to see CZ tomorrow to use his Mercury sticks and give them a sync.

My residual, nagging knee swelling from surgery back in the spring went down a lot this week (I can see my knee cap outline for the first time in 4 months) so riding the 80SG won't be a problem now (more bend than my knee liked), but I am set on the ZRX because it is flat-out fun to ride and want to "show off" all the mods I have done. I love my SG, but riding a bike that I have put this much time and effort into dialing in with the mods feels good.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Slip Sliding Away

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
      What parts did you get, and will Colombo see another Colorado Rally now?!?!
      Enjoy your ZX, you've done worked on it enough!

I'm hoping I can get Columbo up and running for the rally but there are a lot of things that have broken or worn out and have to be replaced. My little brother slipped when we were rolling the bike out of the U-Haul after I got home from Colorado and it fell off the ramp.

I sent you a PM with a Onedrive link to the order from Boats.net. I've scrounged up used cosmetic and non-critical mechanical parts when I could but the order is still roughly $1000.00 of new parts. The most painful is the 4 new slides with diaphragms at $133 each and the 4 needle valve kits. Ouch. The original slides lasted 35 years with a lot of TLC but the rubber and fabric has just flat rotted and worn out and they're all full of holes. The fuel taps and needle valves keep seeping too and I really don't want an engine full of fuel. So it'll be a fair amount of work but I should be able to get it done, I just don't know if I have the energy to ride to Colorado and back.

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Tough call ........ WOOPS. Duplicate. Darn android got me

Jeff
        Last edited by JeffH; 06-26-2016, 12:33 PM.
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Tough call ........

Getting Colombo restored and trip ready seems a lot of stress with short time window. Especially if you hit any snags. More stress that you don't need. This is for FUN.

That 200 $Samos to fly DEN with offer to have bike when you get there is amazingly generous and certainly would get you to the rally fresh and energized.

Likewise Mikes offer to have bike for ride with the Cali contingent. Awesome generous.

Tie breaker might be the "feel like" comment. Tis a long ride and hot. Unless you are All In for the ride it seems there are many advantages to fly DEN and be 100% for the rally.

I remember you arriving Stecoah NC after that cross country journey. A bit whipped as I recall after that adventure ride. But whatever bike you show up with we will all be glad to see you and glad you are riding with us again.

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• I'm not going to stress, Jeff, and you're right, I was hooped when I got to the Iron Horse. That is Prozac'ly why I checked flight schedules to see if they were available and if they went through the roof if you didn't reserve in advance because some double, triple or even quadruple the price the closer you get to the departure date. LAX to DEN was no problem but that could change when it actually gets to be July, I'll see what happens.

I have two engines and bikes to put together and the only good early-style head for Columbo came off my '79 Special: Bush. That leaves the Special sitting until I can find a head and since I can only ride one motorcycle at a time there's no hurry.

The engine and other work needs to be done one way or another. I had to order new piston wrist pin clips because mine are on their 4th or 5th install and I don't trust the ones from the other engines because they were rusty but the invoice says they won't ship until the 29th. I can expedite the shipping but the bottom line is that if the work gets done in time for the rally that's great! If it doesn't then I'll catch a plane or flap my arms or something.

Now I just noticed a e-mail from Harbor Freight and the really nice $1300.00 bike lifts are on sale for $299.00 so now I'm off to go get another lift.

-- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
              Now I just noticed a e-mail from Harbor Freight and the really nice $1300.00 bike lifts are on sale for $299.00 so now I'm off to go get another lift.

Yeah, I saw that too. Tempted to go get one but it would squeeze my wallet pretty tight right now after moving and trying to save up for this ride.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Damn, I wish I could as well. With SWMBO not having found a job yet, i just can't justify spending the money. But it would be real nice to have in the garage.
                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Wow!

I've never seen the lift except for the little 3x3 ads, I was not prepared for this! It's over 300lbs and I had to rent a U-Haul to bring it home in its crate, then four of us wrestled it off the truck and up the driveway. There's no way my first plan to stuff it through the trunk hatch with the back seat down or lash it to the roof of my brother's Honda was going to work. I haven't unpacked it yet but just getting it here was an adventure.

I think I can put the smaller lift I just got on top of this one to hold the bike while I remove tires or do other stuff with the wheels off and I can have a picnic lunch up there when I want to take a break too.

It's huge. Run for the Brexits it's hu-u-u-u-ge! Huge.

-- Scott
                  _____

Comment

• Joe, thanks for the Pikes Peak road report!

Went up to see CZ today and sync'd the carbs on the ZRX. They were off a little bit, thanks CZ for taking the time for me to come up!

In typical CZ fashion, he came up with a simple solution for a mount for my the remote idle adjustment knob and cable that was just hanging out to the side. He also has a nice pile of fire wood (cut up pallets) he got yesterday, ready to go for the rally. Joe, it's about 1/3 of what we had for 2014... Plenty, but not the small forest of wood you so graciously dealt with last time...

CZ and I are planning to ride down and be there by noon on the 15th, either checking in if they are OK with that, or grabbing some food and then being there at 2pm for check in.

Does anyone have any questions or thoughts as we get closer? Please don't hesitate to ask!
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                      Joe, thanks for the Pikes Peak road report!

Went up to see CZ today and sync'd the carbs on the ZRX. They were off a little bit, thanks CZ for taking the time for me to come up!

In typical CZ fashion, he came up with a simple solution for a mount for my the remote idle adjustment knob and cable that was just hanging out to the side. He also has a nice pile of fire wood (cut up pallets) he got yesterday, ready to go for the rally. Joe, it's about 1/3 of what we had for 2014... Plenty, but not the small forest of wood you so graciously dealt with last time...

CZ and I are planning to ride down and be there by noon on the 15th, either checking in if they are OK with that, or grabbing some food and then being there at 2pm for check in.

Does anyone have any questions or thoughts as we get closer? Please don't hesitate to ask!
                      Howard,
                      Is the site same group site on other end we had 2yrs. ago?
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Just buy some wood

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                        ... Does anyone have any questions or thoughts as we get closer? Please don't hesitate to ask!
                        Is CZ coming to the rally?

Plan ahead and all that: Shirley, there must be at least one hungry woodcutter in or around Canon City. Depending on the type of wood available in the area, how much would it cost to deliver, what, about 1/4 to 1/2 a cord of unsplit load-cut wood to the campsite and share the cost?

-- Scott
                        _____

Comment

• Map

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          Howard,
                          Is the site same group site on other end we had 2yrs. ago?
                          On the Echo Canyon Campground map, site 77 looks like the same one:-
                          http://www.echocanyoncampground.com/...ound%20Map.pdf

-- Scott
                          _____

Comment

• Motoman, yes it is the same campsite as Scott said, #77.

3Phase, CZ is coming. He lives in an industrial area where pallets abound, and good clean ones with good wood burns mighty fine. They are already cut up and stacked, ready to go. Sure, we can buy wood down the street from the campground, however the zero cost element is nice.
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Yay!

Free wood is good too!

-- Scott
                              _____

Comment

• New Bike

The parts for Columbo are still on order and with the 4th of July weekend taking a bite out of shipping I'm not going to have enough time to put the engine together for the Rally.

I was bummed out, so I did the only rational thing a man with no running motorcycle can do and I bought a new motorcycle.

-- Scott
                                _____

Comment

Working...
                                X