Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meet up in Salinas

Ray,

If we go to lunch in Hollister, we can head back down the 101 to meet with you and Ed in Salinas, within the time frame you stated. Around 1400 hours would be perfect. If we are early, we'll wait, unless you guys decide to go down the coast. (It's going to be hot.) If we are unavoidably delayed, can I have your mobile number so that I can either leave you a message, or text you our ETA, or the "go ahead without us" message. My mobile number is 714-801-5548.

Ralph

Comment

Meal Planning

Larry,

Vicki and I are still planning to be there. As you may recall, I am addicted to Diet Pepsi. If no one else drinks it, I'll be happy to pay you to transport a twelve pack for me and Vicki.

I totally agree with avoiding the biker phalanx. I think it's OK to have a destination, but it's smarter to ride in smaller groups (or solo, if that's the way you roll) for safety's sake. Vicki and I plan on sticking close to the coast simply because of the impending heat levels in the area. (I know a great ice cream store down south of Atascadero a few tens of miles. What better destination on a hot day?) Barbeque in Cambria sounds good every time I hear it.

We're mostly looking forward to seeing the guys and meeting the new guys from Texas.

Ralph

Comment

Ralph,
        I need to meet someone in Monterey at 2:00pm Friday, but still can be in Salinas about 3:00pm, or just before. My cell number is the 831 number on the top right of all my posts.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Scott,

Not too decrepit sounds like a match for me and my bike. Please pack those pads and I will change them out at the KOA.

Thanks!
          John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

John,
            I KNOW Scott brings EVERYTHING with him on these trips, but I'll put a set I have, new, in my pack as well. Can't let just one guy bring all the spares....
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              John,
              I KNOW Scott brings EVERYTHING with him on these trips, but I'll put a set I have, new, in my pack as well. Can't let just one guy bring all the spares....
              Yeah, about that... I may not be going anywhere. I rode over to Clayton's yesterday to take a look at his '79SF -- [u]nice[u]! and so is the pristine touring set he's selling.

While we were walking around Columbo I noticed the rubber dust seal on the left front brake caliper bolt looked unusually clean and kind of shiny. It's brake fluid so I pulled the caliper when I got home. The important bits are good but I don't have a new brake piston seal. I'm going to try and scavenge the seal and piston from the rear caliper of my '79SF (Bush) but there are so many ways that could go wrong.
              -- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Scott sorry I did not think to bring a spare seal....had one in the toolbox. I brought spare rectifier and tci and cable and levers. Piston seal was not on my list of possibilities. I thought about spare footpegs but figured I was heavy enough as is.

Ray thanks I will gladly buy that set from you. Seems like the 2 of you rescued my bike in colorado too...I am going to have to get better prepared!

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

After I lost the rear brake (metal to metal) at the Cali-rally two years ago and had to limp home, brake pads went on my list of spare parts but, erm, I didn't actually buy them yet. A brake piston seal would be a handy thing to have too.

When I first bought Columbo I had to replace the contaminated front tire, brake pads, and leaking brake seals before I could ride anywhere. That was five years and sixty-thousand miles ago and they're only on their fourth set of pads now so I can't imagine what the problem. It'll bet it's those weak OEM brake kits!
                  -- Scott
                  _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                    Scott sorry I did not think to bring a spare seal....had one in the toolbox. I brought spare rectifier and tci and cable and levers. Piston seal was not on my list of possibilities. I thought about spare footpegs but figured I was heavy enough as is.

Ray thanks I will gladly buy that set from you. Seems like the 2 of you rescued my bike in colorado too...I am going to have to get better prepared!

John
                    Hi John! With the extent of your trip, which can turn to an adventure at any given moment, figure by time you all hit Colo., your scoot oughta' be pretty well R&R'ed for some continuious 200+mile of various high mountain(10-13,000ft at road level) riding(TrailRidge is highest State Hiway in NorthAmerican Continent... town of Leadville some 150mi. south is @10,500ft.). Be safe...keep it hitting on all four, and looking forward to meeting you'all up in EstesPark area for some long overdue mountain twisty riding and camping(just helpin' to 'make it stick' as you say)
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Scott,
                      I have NEW kits for the Standard in storage. PM me you addy, and you'll have them Thursday.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

Done!

It's squared away, Ray! Bring the extra seals and John's brake pads so we can have a Brake Repair Festival at the Rally! Uh, it won't be as much fun but I guess we should probably do that before we cook up the tequila s'mores.

The caliper is clean, back together and bled. I have the caliper suspended from the fairing above the level of the splitter and there's a piece of plywood between the brake pads for spacing. The brake lever is held full-on with a Bungee cord and it hasn't moved for an hour. I'll let it sit overnight under full pressure and in the morning I'll see if it's moved, then look for any sign of brake fluid.

I'm calling it done and ready to roll.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

One note, I looked at the pads I have, and they ARE used, but in good condition, about 1/2 life left. I have them ready, and will get the kits Wednesday. As of now, I have 1 fork with new oil, and the other waiting. Should be ready Wednesday evening, and pack Thursday night...
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG

Comment

Ray,

That works out OK for us. We can dawdle over lunch and still make it to Salinas to meet with you. If we break away early, I'll text you that we've gone on ahead.

I know that Larry likes to serve / eat around six and it's a it's 100 plus miles from Salinas to Santa Margarita.

Ralph

Comment

Made camp yesterday ... Jerry was setting up in the next space when we arrived at 1730. Headed into Atascadero for dinner at David's Kitchen and Scott went off to the motel.

Too lazy to embed pics just now. Here is a link.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10690...105?banner=pwa

John

Comment

Good to hear you all made the 'jaunt' safely to the rally! Careful, the s'mores ARE evil!
                                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                                X