2013 CaliRally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 CaliRally

A'ight, I am planning on being in the bike picture for the early summer rally. I think that Santa Margarita Lake KOA is still good to go, and I will have some sort of bike to ride. Young Cail might even be riding by then. June 14/15/16 looks good to me.

Let the co-mingling begin!
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
    A'ight, I am planning on being in the bike picture for the early summer rally. I think that Santa Margarita Lake KOA is still good to go, and I will have some sort of bike to ride. Young Cail might even be riding by then. June 14/15/16 looks good to me.

Let the co-mingling begin!
    Would give it some consideration...............just for your outdoor kitchen and cookin' again...
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Darn - I always miss it - Gonna miss it by a month - my boys and I will be riding up the coast to Canada in late July going right past that area of the Central Coast. Plan to camp in Solvang on the way to Roseville (near Sacramento) from Tijuana.

I have a general itinerary from July 20-Aug11 if anyone is interested in tagging along for some (or all) of the trip from San Antonio to San Diego to Vancouver to Yellowstone and Sturgis to San Antonio. I know approximately when we will be where but we are going to try and not be tied to a schedule (Throw away the watches ala Wild Hogs) and stay off the Interstates as much as possible.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
        Darn - I always miss it - Gonna miss it by a month - my boys and I will be riding up the coast to Canada in late July going right past that area of the Central Coast. Plan to camp in Solvang on the way to Roseville (near Sacramento) from Tijuana.

I have a general itinerary from July 20-Aug11 if anyone is interested in tagging along for some (or all) of the trip from San Antonio to San Diego to Vancouver to Yellowstone and Sturgis to San Antonio. I know approximately when we will be where but we are going to try and not be tied to a schedule (Throw away the watches ala Wild Hogs) and stay off the Interstates as much as possible.

John
        Well, the Jellystone/Sturgis part has been on my list of rides as you know John. Could run that 'backwards' ridin' up thru SaltLake, Tetons and tag along to Sturgis followed with a real scenic route back to G.J. which would give the rest of you alot of 'secondary' road riding on least part of the journey back south to the Alamo(BTDT)......JAT to consider. No hijack intended, throw a PM at me with your thoughts.
        Last edited by motoman; 12-14-2012, 01:42 PM.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Rally Time!!

Well LoHo, Motoman, John, Special Ed, Garth, DiverRay, Scott, Roo, EagleTom, and others. It is time for a West Coast Rally. I was kind of hoping for a July Rally but whatever the main man LoHo can work out. I will be running another Marathon in Utah mid June so if the schedule can work out to July around John and Motomans trip that would be extremely cool. John, let me know your details after San Diego and I could be up for the ride North and hope Motoman can ride along and show up some of those back roads. I am off in July, so, the xs, xj are ready. Keep the news flowing,,,,,Mike in Sun DIego
          mike
          1982 xj1100 maxim
          1981 venture bagger
          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
          1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
            Well LoHo, Motoman, John, Special Ed, Garth, DiverRay, Scott, Roo, EagleTom, and others. It is time for a West Coast Rally. I was kind of hoping for a July Rally but whatever the main man LoHo can work out. I will be running another Marathon in Utah mid June so if the schedule can work out to July around John and Motomans trip that would be extremely cool. John, let me know your details after San Diego and I could be up for the ride North and hope Motoman can ride along and show up some of those back roads. I am off in July, so, the xs, xj are ready. Keep the news flowing,,,,,Mike in Sun DIego
            Hi Mike, I would need to be pounding out some miles on the ST this spring if I considered doing both a CalyRally and meeting up with John and sons at say West Yellowstone. Otherwise I'd climb off still lookin' like I was aboard the bike, not wanting a place a sit.....for some time. Jokin' aside, either option would be a hoot, just not sure as yet if I'd be up for both. As bad as the Venturer was runnin' when hauling it to the CalyRally and last summer at the Colo.Rally., it normally would just do 'guard duty' of the man-cave. Since finding low voltage and weak coils at low RPM's, plus everything but Mikuni's for jetting, it's back to its normal self again. The STeed being obviously the better LD bike, plus its consistant 50+mpg@80mph makes it the better of the two for just 'gettin there'. I'm sure the Venturer would do just fine too, if not pushed hard. So, lots of options, choices of scoot and lots of time still to decide..........and a last minute decision with no plans, no specific route is how I like to roll when it comes to riding either short or LD rides, as it's about the ride for me.
            Last edited by motoman; 12-15-2012, 05:54 PM.

Comment

John, are you talking Vancouver, WA., or BC? Be cool to meet ya in Vancouver, WA. where i live. Maybe take a ride around the mountain.
              Bob
              1980 XS1100LG Midnight
              1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
              A quick death and an easy one.
              A pretty girl and an honest one.
              A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Well if I have the money I will try and go this year . And john if you guys are in san Diego give me a heads up is be up for tagging along for a few.miles
                91 kwaka kz1000p
                Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

British Columbia - depending on the weather we had planned to ride across HWY 3 towards Alberta and drop back into the US in Idaho. We could always use a larger group at any point in the ride

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

Westward Ho! (maybe)

I think that Santa Margarita Lake KOA is still good to go, June 14/15/16 looks good to me.
                    Hum??? All I can say is:

I should make some effort to visit family in Sacramento & Roseville by summer. This June Santa Margarita opportunity sounds too good to pass up! It would be fun to ride some bike miles again in Calif anyways. I miss the great roads and all the fantastic scenery (oh, and family / friends too). I'll see what I can work out with the mrs. (let her ride Delta) while I do solo x-country and get in some long overdue Calif riding & of course getting a few hits from the very painful big bugs in the Sacto / San Joaquin valley that go S P L A T all over your bike, jacket, helmet. I miss that, NOT.....

Also, Johns July ride sounds very interesting since I would like to visit friends in Portland and Seattle. Plus, that route would be a nice way to mosey East back to Atlanta. Will start planning and see what materializes.

Jeff
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I don't have an emotional attachment to those dates, if mid-July is better. I need to keep the weekends around July 23 open, as this marks 30 years of marriage...in a row!...to the same woman!

Comment

John, I assume you guys will be heading up Highway 1, as it would be foolish to drive through California without seeing the Pacific Coast Highway. Give us a general idea when you'll be where and there might be an XSive group for lunch somewhere near Monterey, Morro Bay, Santa Cruz, or points to be named later. We can be spontaneous, with careful planning and preparation....

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo
                          as this marks 30 years of marriage...in a row!...to the same woman!
                          38 years this past August to SWMBO..ain't life fun?

I am open to a trip to California this year, did the Ohio jaunt last year. Mid-west has some fine rides but not the ocean.

Bought a piece of land last September and will be working on it next year, so will need to have some dates by late May at latest so I can work the trip into summer plans. Anyone coming through western Colorado let me know and will try to hook up for ride or part of a ride. I'm not retired (like Motoman!) but would certainly try to hook up.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

John, I assume you guys will be heading up Highway 1, as it would be foolish to drive through California without seeing the Pacific Coast Highway. Give us a general idea when you'll be where and there might be an XSive group for lunch somewhere near Monterey, Morro Bay, Santa Cruz, or points to be named later. We can be spontaneous, with careful planning and preparation....
                            LoHo for sure want to hit PCH for at least some of the ride. Was thinkng 101 from Solvang to Salinas then cut over - never been to The Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz! Most important I want to ride across the Golden Gate.

John

Comment

Plan is to leave San Diego Thurs the 25th - camp near Solvang after looping wide around LA. Hit Sacramento/Roseville friday and continue sunday to oregon.

Camp somewhere in southern oregon, hit portland tues 7/30. Leave for western washington wed and go up bremerton peninsula and take ferry across sound to north of seattle and hit bellingham a few miles from canadian border.

Continue across border on CA-3 towards Alberta and camp somewhere. Head back into Idaho by 8/3 and slip down to Yellowstone area to camp.

Spenda couple days riding in and through the park to see stuff then head thru towards Devils Tower. Always wanted to see it since Close Encounters.

Hit Sturgis and Rapid City/ Mt Rushmore around 8/6 - 8/8 then head south to Colorado and Oklahoma and home by 8/11

John

Comment

Working...
                              X