XS Southeast 2018 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
    Gee Thanks Marty...always feeling the love. Many folks have moved beyond the XS11s..Bikes may change but friends are for life..Merry Christams
    Man, I hope you can make it, Ben!

I have my Yamahas and ride the XJ11 but the two XS11s are languishing. The bikes are safe and legal and all that stuff but they have moved beyond me, not the other way around.

All of them have cracked and torn frames that have been repaired, Columbo's been welded up three or four times now, I can't remember. The engines, drive trains, suspensions, electrical and other stuff is (mostly) fine or freshly rebuilt but I'm not particularly motivated to buy more uncracked frames that are pushing forty years to hang them from.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
      Man, I hope you can make it, Ben!

I have my Yamahas and ride the XJ11 but the two XS11s are languishing. The bikes are safe and legal and all that stuff but they have moved beyond me, not the other way around.

All of them have cracked and torn frames that have been repaired, Columbo's been welded up three or four times now, I can't remember. The engines, drive trains, suspensions, electrical and other stuff is (mostly) fine or freshly rebuilt but I'm not particularly motivated to buy more uncracked frames that are pushing forty years to hang them from.
      Hey Scott..I plan to be there..I am so looking forward to it...I'll be coming with the Mark Lew crew. Thats a pretty amazing history with your bikes..I was the original owner of my XJ1100 and i bought it new and kept it close to 30 yrs. Then with Swampthing since 2013...So now its getting a new lease on life..i hope Adrian checks the integrity of all the frame welds prior to any re-assy. I cant imagine the amount of work to do a full frame transfer...its certainly waaay beyond my skills. Merry Christmas...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        Yes, I'm yanking your chain. I'm also dead serious. If you have a 50cc Yamaha motorcycle/scooter that is 25 or more years old, this is your rally. Same as if you have a Venture Royale.
        Yeah I get it ..ha ha...who knows whats gonna happen.. oh I know someone with a Venture Royale...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
          .. oh I know someone with a Venture Royale...
          Did you invite him/her to the rally?
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Make sure to check the welds on the center stand and the tail stubs/signal housings.

And for the love of everything the wallet holds dear, do not use flash photography unless you want to ride the entire bike into a pit of Evapo-Rust and leave it there for a few hours, then strip it down and repaint everything afterward.
            -- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              Did you invite him/her to the rally?
              of course..it's Mark Lew...LOL
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Make sure to check the welds on the center stand and the tail stubs/signal housings.

And for the love of everything the wallet holds dear, do not use flash photography unless you want to ride the entire bike into a pit of Evapo-Rust and leave it there for a few hours, then strip it down and repaint everything afterward.
                not sure I understand...please elaborate further..
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Scott is kinda off the wall most of the time. It's a Can'taffordya thing.

He's thinking of the XJ. They always break right around the center stand mounts.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

My '79SF, '80G and the XJ all had broken center stands. It took a few years for Columbo but it broke and tipped over on top of me one night as I was putting it on the stand.

Flash highlights every single flaw and speck of rust/oxidation/whatever. My XJ really doesn't look that bad in normal light but flash is not kind to it. Obviously, it needs to be stripped down to the frame again, then repainted and polished.

-- Scott
                    _____

Comment

I know XJ's are bad about that. Tods was broken forever and I've known a couple others with XJs that were broken too. They break right at the weld.

I don't recall any XSs though.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Well, my '79F parts bike frame and 'stand isn't cracked but would cost a small fortune to re-register it in California or it'd be up and running already.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

My '79SF, '80G and the XJ all had broken center stands. It took a few years for Columbo but it broke and tipped over on top of me one night as I was putting it on the stand.

Flash highlights every single flaw and speck of rust/oxidation/whatever. My XJ really doesn't look that bad in normal light but flash is not kind to it. Obviously, it needs to be stripped down to the frame again, then repainted and polished.

Ah Thankyou..I am not adept at photographic technolgies...
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                                I know XJ's are bad about that. Tods was broken forever and I've known a couple others with XJs that were broken too. They break right at the weld.

I don't recall any XSs though.
                                Tod who? That guy tbat used to ride but now cruises?
                                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                                1981 LH

Comment

Working...
                                X