XS Southeast 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heckertb View Post
    Got home yesterday after visiting my parents in Ohio, Had a great time at the rally. Thank you Marty and Jeff and all who had a hand in making this a great rally. It was great seeing all the XS11's and all of you who come every year. Don rode home Monday 670 miles)Terry, Mary and I left Monday, visited Chimney Rock, then the Blue Ridge until we had to turn off and head home. Thanks to all of you who got my Vstrom road worthy after going down on that curve. It was amazing, just like the pit crew at the moto gp. I think it helped that we were hungry, had to pee and just plain wanted to get back to those great roads!
    Here are a couple pics of the bike. I didn't get a scratch thanks to the jacket and kevlar pants.
    Bruce

I remember we came around that corner riding with Marty and I waved. I didn't notice that there was a crashed bike there. Glad your OK Bruce. The bike doesn't look bad, it can be fixed.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      Who all was taking pictures in that area that weekend? I looked through Killboy and didn't see any XSs.
      Greg,
      Killboy posted most of us as cruisers beginning at about 5P. Dragon Photos, Saturday, Sept 27

US129Photos has us coming through with a similar time stamp.

Cherohalaphotos.com caught some of us beginning on page 9. I saw you in there, Greg.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

• on the Cherohala webite there are alot of us on pages 14-16...including Brent with the obligatory ceegar...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
          Hi Bruce,
          Sorry to hear of your misfortune on the curve.
          Looking at your pictures I notice what looks like a sun shield for your GPS ?
          Can you give some details as I had a hard time seeing mine in the
          bright sunshine on my ride home.
          Phil
          It's called "Glarestomper". It does work pretty well. The top also folds down to help shield the GPS from the rain. Can't remember where I got it but you can order from there website, about $18, free shipping.
          Bruce
          Bruce Heckert
          1980 Yamaha XS11SG-sold
          1988 Honda GL 1500
          2001 Suzuki SV650S-sold
          1981 Honda CM200T
          2012 Honda CBR250-sold
          2012 Suzuki Vstrom

Comment

I remember we came around that corner riding with Marty and I waved. I didn't notice that there was a crashed bike there. Glad your OK Bruce. The bike doesn't look bad, it can be fixed.
            Geez ...I wasnt aware of this...where did this occur? Regardless though I'm glad you're alright...bikes can be fixed alot easier than you...Take care
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Yep, goes in to the dealer today for a insurance quote. Thankful no injury and I was able to finish the trip no problem. The jacket saved my forarm. Definitely a believer in protective gear!

Bruce Heckert
              1980 Yamaha XS11SG-sold
              1988 Honda GL 1500
              2001 Suzuki SV650S-sold
              1981 Honda CM200T
              2012 Honda CBR250-sold
              2012 Suzuki Vstrom

Comment

• Wow, good-looking bike. It'll be okay.
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

• Dragon Shot

1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Well, Ben...if we're doin' selfies...
                    Here's mine.

Ok Greg... your turn...
                    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Most of the Saturday lunch bunch.

Saturday evening after the ride.

Sunday morning on the BRP.

Unless someone objects, I'm going to gather as many photos as I can and build an album over on FB
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

• Wow, Bruce! I didn't know about your mishap!
                        Glad your ok, and the equipment saved your arm.

Sorry about the bike. Guessing it was insured?
                        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Come on down Brant. It's INCREDIBLE!!!!!!
                          Actually, that's FUN........THIS is INCREDIBLE!

http://snowbrains.com/mountain-bikin...caskill-ridge/
                          .......seriously, check it out..
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Your link didn't work but if your referring to the video of the mountain biker riding along the narrow ridge, I saw that. That's not incredible that's just crazy!
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• That be the one.............some quick thinkin' along with some incredible balance......hmmm, wonder if had a practice run prior to shooting.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• faster Than a Speeding Bullet (ST1100)

Ok Ben, don't take this the wrong way. You guys may remember my friend Chuck from the rally. He was riding my 1979SF because his Honda ST1100 was in the shop due to ethanol woes (aka corn problems).

It took him until Sunday to get a real feel for the Yamaha (his first ride on a real motorcycle - LOL). Some of us did the Hurricane loop with Marty on Sunday. The loop made the Dragon look like the back straightaway!

Saturday I was almost running over Chuck. But Sunday in the loop, I could barely keep up with him? He liked the Special so much that he is now looking for one. I'm impressed to say the least. Yamaha (XS1100) converts yet another fan. Bob would be proud.

Comparison wise we are talking 1979 Yamaha vs 1995 Honda. With all due respect, I'm sure the Honda has its advantages too. Chuck's comment was that he was more comfortable doing the type of riding we were doing on the Special than the ST. He has ridden the same areas on both bikes.

Interestingly, it has been determined that the rear shocks on the Special are worn out completely. Its all spring back there - soon to be rectified. Also looking at doing the front fork upgrade (Traxxion Dynamics) so I may have at least a small chance of keeping Jeff and Marty in sight.

MP
                                Last edited by MPittma100; 10-10-2014, 08:31 PM.
                                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                                K&N Air Filter
                                ACCT
                                Custom Paint by Deitz
                                Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                                Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                                Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                                EBC Front Rotors
                                Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment