• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post

Bob & his Connie~ Blue Ridge Pky.

IH Lodge~ backyard view.

Brent

Nice Special!

Ryan Hughes & his Yamaha Stryker, beside Dad's Navy bike.

My bike enjoys the view from the top.
    Nice pics Bob............I'm sure the Connie didn't 'break a sweat'.....still lookin' for the 'top', after the the previous 14,100ft. 'snail climb'.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Hey, Brant!

Nope, Connie did fine... Me? Holy crap!
      This boy gotta major workout!

Whew!

Bohn sat me down and filled me in on Deal's Gap right before we ran it...

He said, " you know how Arkansas roads are pretty twisty, right?"
      I said, "Yes..."
      He said," But after a few sharp curves you usually will get a straightaway, right?"
      I said, " Right..."
      He said, "All I can say about deal's Gap is it's RELENTLESS! No straightaway breaks."

As usual, he was correct! Lol

I just came away feeling pretty good that I kept up ok, and survived, w/o crashing to tell the "Tail" it could kiss my butt!

Lol.....
      Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 10-02-2014, 07:38 PM.
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Congrats Bob on running the Dragon...key is to stay in the right gear and leave it there engine braking and never usuing the brakes... with my XS its 2nd gear for 11 miles and 318 curves...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Come on down Brant. It's INCREDIBLE!!!!!!
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
            Congrats Bob on running the Dragon...key is to stay in the right gear and leave it there engine braking and never usuing the brakes... with my XS its 2nd gear for 11 miles and 318 curves...
            That's pretty much what I figured out!

Thanks, Ben!

That extra 40 mile run we made with Marty after we left lunch was wild, too!
            What I couldn't believe was, during the ride, we're twisting left/right/left/right/left....came around a sharp curve... And there was a frikkin' semi pulling a 52' trailer trying to come around those same curves!

What the heck was he thinking when he chose that road?
            Crazy, man!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• There were so many places I wanted to do like Tod and take pics while riding, but I was afraid if I tried it, I'd "pull a Bigelo" and crash!

So many pictures I wanted to take, but all that great scenery just went by in a blurr...............

I'm still dizzy!!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                That's pretty much what I figured out!

Thanks, Ben!

That extra 40 mile run we made with Marty after we left lunch was wild, too!
                What I couldn't believe was, during the ride, we're twisting left/right/left/right/left....came around a sharp curve... And there was a frikkin' semi pulling a 52' trailer trying to come around those same curves!

What the heck was he thinking when he chose that road?
                Crazy, man!
                Northern Ga is the same way...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• That's why I got that thing to go around my neck to attach to my camera so I wouldn't loose it in an "OH ****" situation. I got a few decent pics but most turned out too blurry or off center.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• We had a great time. Joy and I took her Explorer through the Dragon Monday in the rain on the way to Gatlinburg. I think I'll pull the picture and frame it for her office. She loved the group and the whole event. She's not much on the bike after about an hour so any more trips with her will include the trailer. I have to admit though, it was nice not to have to ride 9 hours to get there and back.
                    We left IH on Tuesday and headed to Kentucky for a tour of the Wild Turkey distillery Wednesday.
                    Thursday we took in Natural Bridge Virginia and headed home.
                    Thanks for all the hard work you folks put in to make this happen.
                    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                    1981 LH

Comment

• Was great to see you and meet Joy too... Its 700+ miles from here to Lake George for XSEast 2015...looking at trailer options...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Got home yesterday after visiting my parents in Ohio, Had a great time at the rally. Thank you Marty and Jeff and all who had a hand in making this a great rally. It was great seeing all the XS11's and all of you who come every year. Don rode home Monday 670 miles)Terry, Mary and I left Monday, visited Chimney Rock, then the Blue Ridge until we had to turn off and head home. Thanks to all of you who got my Vstrom road worthy after going down on that curve. It was amazing, just like the pit crew at the moto gp. I think it helped that we were hungry, had to pee and just plain wanted to get back to those great roads!
                        Here are a couple pics of the bike. I didn't get a scratch thanks to the jacket and kevlar pants.
                        Bruce

Bruce Heckert
                        1980 Yamaha XS11SG-sold
                        1988 Honda GL 1500
                        2001 Suzuki SV650S-sold
                        1981 Honda CM200T
                        2012 Honda CBR250-sold
                        2012 Suzuki Vstrom

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                          Was great to see you and meet Joy too... Its 700+ miles from here to Lake George for XSEast 2015...looking at trailer options...
                          Hi Ben,
                          Are you getting soft in your old age 2 short days or one long one
                          Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Hi Bruce,
                            Sorry to hear of your misfortune on the curve.
                            Looking at your pictures I notice what looks like a sun shield for your GPS ?
                            Can you give some details as I had a hard time seeing mine in the
                            bright sunshine on my ride home.
                            Phil
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                              Hi Ben,
                              Are you getting soft in your old age 2 short days or one long one
                              Phil
                              Yeah I think i might be...I no longer enjoy long and boring and even dangerous interstate travel...I have been spoiled by the ST1100 for real LD comfort...The XS does pretty well but still falls short by ST standards...The thought of riding through the Wash.DC area and through NJ and the NY State Thruway all roads I have ridden on before would rather be in a cage...with bike in tow Thank you very much...
                              as an aside..I know quite a few younger than i that have been trailering for quite some time now...
                              Last edited by madmax-im; 10-03-2014, 10:46 PM.
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Who all was taking pictures in that area that weekend? I looked through Killboy and didn't see any XSs.
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X