Comment

The bike today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2705A.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	881964

Comment

that's awesome! What exhaust and what windshield is that if you don't mind me asking?
        Yamahas: 1979 XS1100F
        Past Yamahas: 1978 XS1100E, 1976 XS500C

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
          I run a stock 1980 motor out of this bike.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN3890.JPG Views:	3 Size:	198.9 KB ID:	881960
          I'd try to find a couple of polished metal cannisters of some sort such as fire extinguishers and rig those up to hold gas, or perhaps an old six gallon gas tank used for outboard motors.
          1980 XS1100G

I identify as a man but according to the label on a package of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four!

Comment

Originally posted by gtem View Post
            that's awesome! What exhaust and what windshield is that if you don't mind me asking?
            The exhaust is a MAC 2 into 1 + 2 into 1. Great access to the oil filter and the cam chain tensioner. Relatively quiet but throaty. The windshield is a National that I picked up used for $10.00 at a swap meet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33561373696...Bk9SR-DSj9jTZA

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

I'd try to find a couple of polished metal cannisters of some sort such as fire extinguishers and rig those up to hold gas, or perhaps an old six gallon gas tank used for outboard motors.
              LAB3, this bike did, in fact, have two fire extinguishers for gas tanks. They were so horribly constructed with RTV glued-in fittings that I tossed them before the photo shoot. This guy was a Hack Master with very limited talent. But I can't complain because I got the bike for free. With a title. Great motor and tranny. Also used the carbs after rebuilding. I now travel the earth with equipment that was once dead.

Comment

The MACs. Rare pipe.

Name:	DSCN0317.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	881970

Comment

An aside, what is the official name of the '79 F brown/cinammon? I saw an old thread where the two "F" paint colors were Indigo Blue and "Magenta Red"... how could you ever call that metallic brown a "magenta red?"

Comment

Originally posted by gtem View Post
                    An aside, what is the official name of the '79 F brown/cinammon? I saw an old thread where the two "F" paint colors were Indigo Blue and "Magenta Red"... how could you ever call that metallic brown a "magenta red?"
                    Dirt build up and oxidation. My bike is supposedly magenta red and ruby red although most people (including myself) see it as brown.
                    1980 XS1100G

I identify as a man but according to the label on a package of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four!

Comment

“Jeff if you have a stock exhaust in good shape, would you be interested in selling it perhaps?”

I do have the stock exhaust. It’s a good as new but it’s on the shelf and staying with the bike for the future.
                      Jeff Korn
                      Original Owner 79XS1100 E
                      Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

Originally posted by jkorn View Post
                        “Jeff if you have a stock exhaust in good shape, would you be interested in selling it perhaps?”

I do have the stock exhaust. It’s a good as new but it’s on the shelf and staying with the bike for the future.
                        Perfectly understandable!

Comment

Well, I've got her in the garage! Went on my first shakedown run yesterday after fiddling with some sticky brakes and an in-op rear (leaking rear master cylinder). The low speed fueling is absolutely bang-on spectacular, which is a huge relief. She does stutter a bit when I really get on it in the mid-range, my prime suspects are both the coil pickup wires and the fact that it had resistor type plugs installed at some point. I'm going back to stock spec BP6ES, we'll see if that helps. Aside from that, she needs new tires badly and the usual list of maintenance attended to (valve clearance check, all fluids changed, etc), but she's all there as I remember from 2 years ago.

Just putting some air in the tires, lubing the throttle cable a bit and riding it, it's like you can feel the bike's stiff joints loosening up. The best thing you can do for any old bike is to ride it regularly!

Name:	IMG_3607.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	881979

Comment

Get rid of the resistor caps and go with resistor plugs. My bet is that you have at least one or more caps that are beyond their resistance limit of 5k, it often happens on bikes this old. Went with NGK non resistor caps on mine, you can also remove the resistors from the old caps and replace them with a short piece of 12ga wire to save a few bucks.
                            1980 XS1100G

Comment

That's a good thought LAB, to say nothing of the difficulty with even getting hands on non-resistor plugs in stock much anymore. I will definitely measure the caps that are currently on there.

Another oddity I noticed was that the tach seems to read a bit low compared to where I *think* it should be, based on my '78 E. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me. At low rpm and at idle it seems fine.

Finally, does anyone recall what the "best" way to seal the rear rim lock holes is? Tap it for an NPT plug?

Comment

Working...
                              X