No announcement yet.

First bike. 79 xs1100 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like 1/4" fuel line from the auto parts store. It's thick-walled, it doesn't stretch easily over the fittings, it makes rubber crumbs as it is inserted over the barbs, it is not flexible, it requires plumbing style clamps, and it hard to remove from the fittings.

I usually buy the Yamaha OEM hose. It's $5.49 for a piece about 8" long, so I bought two pieces per bike:
    https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/90445-07176-00

For my more recent projects, I bought various sizes of nitrile fuel hoses from eBay. They are sold in 1 meter lengths for ~$7. IIRC, the 6mm ID, 9mm OD worked the best.

-Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Yeah I like the idea of the nitrile hose I’m gunna check that out for sure. Thanks radio!

Comment

Okay just got home and put the deals I made onto the tank and no leaks. I also counted out 70 of the screws I put in there. I’ll slosh it around every so often for the next few days..

Comment

Anybody know where to get some of these?

Comment

Originally posted by Keith805 View Post
            Anybody know where to get some of these?
            They are still available on Partzilla. Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 OEM Parts Diagram for FUEL COCK - DIAPHRAGM - PIPING | Partzilla.com. You probably can do a search on Ebay but generally they are not much cheaper. Several will tell you just to put an external filter on but to me the area where the hoses go to the carbs is tight enough already. Especially if you can still just purchase the filters that come stock with the bike. If you have a cycle shop around you that specializes in Japanese bikes just take an old piece of tube with you and match it up. If they have the Honda brand just buy about 4 or 5 ft of it and you won't have to change it again, probably while you own the bike.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

just got you book on Amazon market Project XS1100
              Cool. Thanks. Hope you enjoy it... Just hit #1 best seller in its category.

Click image for larger version

Name:	#1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	873587

Last edited by Ranger_xs1100; 05-10-2023, 05:10 AM.
              Bob's Bikes:
              79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
              https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
              https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
              "
              Project XS11"
              "Rucksack Grunt"
              "Small Unit Leadership"
              "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
              For Sale Here.

Comment

Yeah I like the idea of the nitrile hose I’m gunna check that out for sure. Thanks radio!
                Check small engine parts & repair places, I picked up nitrile line for my bike at one.
                1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas I’ll look around for Japanese shops around here and chit chat with the guys there. Checked the tank this morning I’m going to empty some of the liquid out and shake the hell out of it. Also was checking out carbs and what not and seen this oil in there… what’s going on here.. do you have any thoughts…

Comment

Was the oil separator in place before you disassembled the air box? :

https://xs11.club/forum/idle-talk-fo...-oil-seperator

Maybe the #3 tube on the separator is cracked or missing?
                    -Mike
                    _________
                    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                      Was the oil separator in place before you disassembled the air box? :

https://xs11.club/forum/idle-talk-fo...-oil-seperator

Maybe the #3 tube on the separator is cracked or missing?
                      No radio I haven’t seen anything like that at all on the bike or air box… I’m going to do more research on that.

Comment

Just got my hoses from Amazon and got them all switched out now… while the gas tank is doing its thing getting the rust out I’m going to crack open these carbs and clean em good with carb cleaner. I had bought a rebuild kit from Amazon before I met you guys and now I’m only going to change the seals and what not and not messing with replacing the Jets that came with this kit since it’s only going to give me more issues as one of you fellows told me earlier in this thread.

Anything else I should know before doing this??

Comment

Ok so here’s the kit I got on eBay for this. So if there’s no solid damage on any of the original hardware I should just disregard all the brass and other components and just change out the o rings gasket and the filters

Comment

Okay here’s what I’m working with so far. Do you guys think I should take them apart one at a time and throw into ultra sonic cleaner that I have here….

Comment

Since you have come this far, it would be a sin not to disassemble the carbs and clean the insides thoroughly.

If the carbs are reasonable condition, it not always necessary to remove the butterfly shafts, although I replace the butterfly shaft seals on all my bikes when I rebuild the carbs.

Aside from the butterfly shafts, it is recommended to remove everything else- the jets, the slides, the emulsion tubes, the choke plunges, etc.

I put each carb body into Berryman's carb cleaner (in your case the ultrasonic) with all the parts associated with that carb body except the slider piston/diaphragm. You don't want to harm the rubber diaphragms and the slides are usually not dirty.

I do each carb body one-at-a-time and keep the original parts with each carb body.

As recommended by others, it is preferred to re-use the original brass parts rather than use the kit parts because the kit parts are frequently different than the original correct parts.

-Mike
                              _________
                              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                                Since you have come this far, it would be a sin not to disassemble the carbs and clean the insides thoroughly.

If the carbs are reasonable condition, it not always necessary to remove the butterfly shafts, although I replace the butterfly shaft seals on all my bikes when I rebuild the carbs.

Aside from the butterfly shafts, it is recommended to remove everything else- the jets, the slides, the emulsion tubes, the choke plunges, etc.

I put each carb body into Berryman's carb cleaner (in your case the ultrasonic) with all the parts associated with that carb body except the slider piston/diaphragm. You don't want to harm the rubber diaphragms and the slides are usually not dirty.

I do each carb body one-at-a-time and keep the original parts with each carb body.

As recommended by others, it is preferred to re-use the original brass parts rather than use the kit parts because the kit parts are frequently different than the original correct parts.
                                You the man Radio! Yeah I’ve been here at work and it’s been a slow day here and I’m using the downtime to get paid while fixing the carbs haha ohhhh yeahhhh!

Ive been breaking em down one at a time cleaned each jet out with a strand of wire and putting the parts into my ultra sonic cleaner we have here. Diaphragms look good and solid no light coming through so that’s an added bonus.

The repair set that I did buy as you guys told me were nothing like the originals at all.. I can see where all that can be a huge issue for sure..

Alright Brothers I’ll keep you posted more on what’s next.

Im thinking the gas tanks about almost done. Got new pipes for the Petcocks still need a rebuild kit for the original so until I get those I’m using some I got off eBay for temp use.

I didn’t take the time to clean all the exterior of the carbs at this time.. My main goal at this time is to get the fuel system goin get this beast fired up and go from there…

Comment

Working...
                                X