First bike. 79 xs1100 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schming View Post
    Hi Keith, good score. The bike looks to be what you stated a '79 but the clutch cover has no kick start shaft protruding. Check the numbers on the engine as it may have been switched. If the engine is original with only 9600 miles on her you got a steal
    Just got home and took a look at the engine numbers

4h3-002067 engine

3h3-009009 frame

Comment

Originally posted by Keith805 View Post

4h3-002067 engine

3h3-009009 frame
      According to the following link, your engine is originally from an '80 LG, but the carbs your working on are early carbs '78 - '79

https://xs11.club/forum/miscellaneou...identification
      Last edited by Schming; 05-12-2023, 05:22 AM.
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

4h3-002067 engine

3h3-009009 frame
        Good catch Schming. Brings up another issue that needs to be verified. Keith... on the airbox on the side that faces the engine when installed there are two nipples where the hoses from the two interconnect brass tees come back to it. Are those actually holes or are they solid and closed. I am asking because the carbs are for sure original to the bike and now we know the engine was an 80 LG or midinight specail engine. Hopefully all that was swapped was the engine and everything else is still original to the bike. Those carbs have to vent to the airbox from those upper tees in between the carbs in order to work correctly.
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

Yes they are not blocked and they have that brass tube going in

Comment

Okay so I took all the vinegar out of the tank today and retrieved all the screws I had in there and came out looking pretty sweet. I went and found a spot that sells 90 and filled her up so it wouldn’t flask rust after I rinsed it a bunch of times. Now I’m just waiting on the sender unit gasket and battery that I ordered. MAN the suspense is killing me to see if this thing fires up. I need to order oil and filter before anything else and take care of that.

So what’s the deal using a pressure washer to clean the bike? Is that a no no or what should I keep in mind when doing so….

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

Good catch Schming. Brings up another issue that needs to be verified. Keith... on the airbox on the side that faces the engine when installed there are two nipples where the hoses from the two interconnect brass tees come back to it. Are those actually holes or are they solid and closed. I am asking because the carbs are for sure original to the bike and now we know the engine was an 80 LG or midinight specail engine. Hopefully all that was swapped was the engine and everything else is still original to the bike. Those carbs have to vent to the airbox from those upper tees in between the carbs in order to work correctly.

So the motor that’s in there is that still a good running engine? Well I know I’ll find out soon enough but Is it better then the original?…. Well that being said I’ll make sure to get all engine parts and what not pertaining to that engine model..
              Last edited by Keith805; 05-13-2023, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Yes, The 80 engine is a good running engine. But is it a better runner than the 79? Probably not. I can only speak from my riding experience, having ridden and owned both. The 79 seeems to be a bit faster and a bit stronger and pulls a bit harder. That's just the way it feels to me when riding. Someone else will probably be able to verify if this is true or not with some technical/ engineering facts that are beyond me!
                Bob's Bikes:
                79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                "
                Project XS11"
                "Rucksack Grunt"
                "Small Unit Leadership"
                "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                For Sale Here.

Comment

A pressure washer can push water past bearing seals and other places water would not normally go- I wouldn't do it unless I getting ready to disassemble the bike.

Many of us have noticed the '78-'79 engine has a surge. It comes on really strong around 3700 RPM- noticeable more than the '80 and later engines. However, the '80 and later engines seem to have a broader power range. They are about the same performance overall, but the earlier engines have that really pleasant surge. This is just my personal feeling, not based on any data.
                  -Mike
                  _________
                  '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                  '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                  '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                  '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                  '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                  '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                  '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

^^^ Yep, about 3700 the power band really kicks in on the early motors.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks fellas. Yeah I just wanted to get some input and thoughts on that. The battery should be here tomorrow. I’m taking a heat gun home today as I can’t let it sit in the sun and what not because it’s going to rain. I wanted to let me it all heat up outside when I put it in to soften the rubber up a bit before I try and put these carbs back in. I’ll be sure not to over heat them..

Comment

Thanks fellas. Yeah I just wanted to get some input and thoughts on that. The battery should be here tomorrow. I’m taking a heat gun home today as I can’t let it sit in the sun and what not because it’s going to rain. I wanted to let me it all heat up outside when I put it in to soften the rubber up a bit before I try and put these carbs back in. I’ll be sure not to over heat them..
                        Just take some wd40 on a rag and lightly wipe the insides of the manifolds. Don't drench them mind you. The carbs will slide right in.
                        81 LH
                        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                        Jim

Comment

Just take some wd40 on a rag and lightly wipe the insides of the manifolds. Don't drench them mind you. The carbs will slide right in.
                          Thanks Cajun. Okay so they are on the engine manifold now but quick question I’m having issue with air box I got it in but I’m not sure if this too bracket goes on top or bottom of the frame… I can’t get the boots over the top edge. Please advice.

Comment

Disregard last post I had left in 2 bolts on side bracket that was messing me up

Comment

Disregard last post I had left in 2 bolts on side bracket that was messing me up
                              I am sure you figured it out, however the bracket from airbox should be on top of frame. Looks like you are making good progress. When I get into a fresh restore my main objective, as I am sure I am not alone, is to get the bike running. Once you arrive there then you can sit down and figure out what you want to do as a final product and budget appropriately. just remember, brakes and tires are both things that should not be overlooked. Old tires should be replaced and being able to stop and not having your calipers drag are important.
                              81 LH
                              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                              Jim

Comment

I am sure you figured it out, however the bracket from airbox should be on top of frame. Looks like you are making good progress. When I get into a fresh restore my main objective, as I am sure I am not alone, is to get the bike running. Once you arrive there then you can sit down and figure out what you want to do as a final product and budget appropriately. just remember, brakes and tires are both things that should not be overlooked. Old tires should be replaced and being able to stop and not having your calipers drag are important.
                                Copy that! Yeah I’ve never restored a bike and what not. I do electromechanical work as my trade and when I was younger worked in my step dads European automotive shop so I know basic automotive things yknow. Exactly my main objective at this point is fuel system and engine and see if it even rocks and rolls. Breakers calipers and masters front and rear for SURE need tlc. I haven’t even started cleaning the bike haha. Thank you so much for your wisdom guys…

Comment

Working...
                                X