No announcement yet.

First bike. 79 xs1100 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had great results with 5 gallons of cheap old straight white vinegar (filling the tank absolutely full) - fabbed up some metal plates to seal the petcock and fuel sender openings, added EXACTLY 70 drywall screws (made sure I had 'em all when I was done) gave the tank a good shake once in a while over a period of a few days, drained, flushed, dried and Marvel Mystery oiled it. Like cajun31 says - process works great! Pretty sure I learned all this right here from you guys.

P.S. white vinegar $2.79 / 4 litre (just over 1 US gal.) x 5 = $13.95 (Cdn)
    Last edited by LenB; 05-08-2023, 07:39 AM.
    1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
    1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
    Owned - 1976 XS750D
    Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
    Owned - (unknown year) XS650
    (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Walmart sells gallon jugs of apple cider vinegar for about $6.00 per gallon. I get the sender gaskets from eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115703482838

Click image for larger version

Name:	vinegar.1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	873552 Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	873551

Comment

Okay the vinegar came today and i wrapped the tank in bags and used duct tape like an idiot i jumped the gun and didnt take the time and seal proper now its leaking into bag. Im going to bring some rubber and what not from work and seal this thing proper. I know i know you guys told me lol! Ahhh thats my problem sometimes i try to do things to fast..... okay ill update soon..

Comment

Another question guys, I'm wanting to get new fuel lines what size OD and ID do you recommend? I really don't want to be fighting the hoses when i put it back in.. hopefully there's something out there that's super flex and not gonk to kink up all crazy. And guys if you got this stuff laying around ill buy it off you via PayPal or Zelle.. Thank you my Masters!
          Last edited by Keith805; 05-09-2023, 12:56 PM.

Comment

1/4 I.D. inch fuel line. Auto parts store or hardware store. Also, don't let the vinegar sit on the paint. It can damage the finish.
            Last edited by DEEBS11; 05-09-2023, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Alright I’m here at work and I found this heavy duty rubber belt and theses bolts. I’m going to start over… Damn rookie haha

Comment

And I’m going to pick up 6 gallons vinegar at Walmart $3 a gallon

Comment

I’m also thinking about putting a bunch of towels in the dryer and just air no heat and putting the tank in the center and stuffing more blankets so it’s real nice and snug after I fix this armature fail move of mine and seal the tank correct and put in the nuts and bolts and turn on the dryer at low speed…. Any thoughts about that?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Nice... That should work well.
                        Bob's Bikes:
                        79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                        https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                        https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                        "
                        Project XS11"
                        "Rucksack Grunt"
                        "Small Unit Leadership"
                        "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                        For Sale Here.

Comment

I’ll let you know how it works

Comment

Originally posted by Keith805 View Post
                            I’m also thinking about putting a bunch of towels in the dryer and just air no heat and putting the tank in the center and stuffing more blankets so it’s real nice and snug after I fix this armature fail move of mine and seal the tank correct and put in the nuts and bolts and turn on the dryer at low speed…. Any thoughts about that?
                            NO.... don't do that. These tanks are easily dented and I would not risk it. Really not necessary. The vinegar will to the job. Just go out and shake it around a little bit. You might want to start by filling it half full with the vinegar, add the abrasives and give a nice shake to knock as much large debris off as you can. Then empty the vinegar, straining it and capture the vinegar and put it back in with additional vinegar to fill all the way up. Then let that sit a few days. Repeat process as needed to get it good an clean.
                            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                            81 LH
                            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post

Nice... That should work well.
                              just got you book on Amazon market Project XS1100

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

NO.... don't do that. These tanks are easily dented and I would not risk it. Really not necessary. The vinegar will to the job. Just go out and shake it around a little bit. You might want to start by filling it half full with the vinegar, add the abrasives and give a nice shake to knock as much large debris off as you can. Then empty the vinegar, straining it and capture the vinegar and put it back in with additional vinegar to fill all the way up. Then let that sit a few days. Repeat process as needed to get it good an clean.
                                Copy that! Thanks Cajun!

Comment

Working...
                                X