No announcement yet.

First bike. 79 xs1100 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going in without a plan or even an idea is risky business. It's true that there's plenty of us creative types that prefer to work that way but then again we're the type who will never be "Done" with a project.

Most people see a cafe bike as having pods instead of a stock airbox, a different exhaust and different seat. The seat part is easy, when you get into going over to pods instead of an airbox and changing out the exhaust NOW you're getting into retuning and rejetting territory with the carbs which can become a nightmare if you've never messed with that before.

Changing out the tail behind the seat is often part of a cafe build too, cutting up or replacing the fender, tail light, blinkers and license plate goes with that. Then there's the handlebars, easy enough to do but then you often need to swap out the throttle and clutch cables plus replumbing the brake lines.

It's going to end up taking a few bucks to make the conversion and when you're done it may turn out you have a bike worth less than a stock one. Personally if you're not a relatively well experienced mechanic and metal fabricator.then you might not want to take on making a cafe bike. Then again, if you do a good job of it you'll have learned a LOT along the way.
    1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Lab I’m glad you brought all that up! I was just thinking about the air intake and was going to ask you guys about that. Yes after further thinking I’m going to keep it original and just fix it up. I added some photos and just got it home. This is a super nice bike guys! I only paid $700 for it. I can’t belive it.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Congratulations! Very nice find! Looks like the perfect candidate for a restoration project. Welcome to the forum. We're here to watch your progress, help you along the way, and learn from each other.
              Bob's Bikes:
              79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
              https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
              https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
              "
              Project XS11"
              "Rucksack Grunt"
              "Small Unit Leadership"
              "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
              For Sale Here.

Comment

Thanks Ranger mighty kind of you sir. After further inspection of the bike I’m pretty amazed how everything is intact and besides the things I need to fix and some detail work this things going to be sweeeeeet! The last owner left my some notes about what he thinks are some issues. He told me he had rebuilt the carbs and the rusty tank gas never went into the carb system.

Comment

did it come with the original chrome grabrail ?

Comment

No Tony just that back rest

Comment

You COULD go mild custom on get a couple of small rectangular leather bags and cut the back and sides out of to use as side covers. Just recently scored one but not a pair so there should be a picture soon. Add a couple of leather saddlebags and it would rock! If it where me I'd consider the Harley muffler swap too. Add a simple handlebar windshield if you want. Done.
                      1980 XS1100G

Comment

Looking at the note:
                        1. rebuild both brake master cyl.
                        2. Rebuild all brake calipers.
                        3. All new brake pads.
                        4. All new Stainless steel brake lines.
                        5. New front and rear tires.(ANYTHING over 5 years old MUST GO!)
                        6. New battery, AGM is nice, but more money than flooded acid.
                        7. Go through carbs, replace ONLY rubber parts/gaskets. Clean and re-use ALL jets/needles.
                        The rest of the list is to make it close to new.
                        1. repack steering stem and swing arm bearings.
                        2. Clean ALL electrical connections! Use anti-seize on the ground lugs.
                        There is more, but this should give you something to do for about the next month.
                        Oh, and enjoy the bike once you do have it running! Remember, this is an XS1100, you can put it in 4th at 25, and walk away from almost any other bike who is in 4th!
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hi Keith, one thing I find interesting is that the motor has been painted in a way that looks like it was possibly out of the frame when it was done. Possible internal motor work done. Hopefully correct. Keep an eye out on that if you have issues down the road. Might want to do an initial compression check by hooking the starter wire to a battery and turning the motor over with no plugs in it (full throttle so the engine can breathe).

Comment

Hi Keith, good score. The bike looks to be what you stated a '79 but the clutch cover has no kick start shaft protruding. Check the numbers on the engine as it may have been switched. If the engine is original with only 9600 miles on her you got a steal
                            Last edited by Schming; 04-30-2023, 05:37 AM.
                            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                              5. New front and rear tires.(ANYTHING over 5 years old MUST GO!)
                              !
                              My last bike had decent tires when I bought it, couldn't tell you how old they where because they had a three digit date code.
                              They took me 10,000 miles down the road!

https://youtu.be/WwbLt8vZH5w
                              1980 XS1100G

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                                Hi Keith, good score. The bike looks to be what you stated a '79 but the clutch cover has no kick start shaft protruding. Check the numbers on the engine as it may have been switched. If the engine is original with only 9600 miles on her you got a steal
                                Good eye Schming! I missed that.
                                Bob's Bikes:
                                79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                                https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                                https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                                "
                                Project XS11"
                                "Rucksack Grunt"
                                "Small Unit Leadership"
                                "Beatrice B. Goode"