No announcement yet.

Charka's XS1100G Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok cool, thanks. I'll be sure to check it before final assembly.

Got the gas cap together. Everything was cleaned and derusted, new rubber seal is KDI Reproductions. The fit and quality is very good.

Comment

Looks nice! My big tank has pinholes, so it's going to need a coating. Lucky for me I have the stock Special tank, and it's good!
      I forgot to tell you that if the bolts do not come with the ACCT, you will need shorter bolts to mount it. IIRC the 6mm by 12mm long is the correct size, but do check to be sure. There should only be about 10mm of bolt beyond the housing.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Very cool. I've been using Red-Kote for tanks recently. I've used several different products, it's my favorite by far.

Thanks for the tips. I was sure to get bolts and gasket with the tensioner I bought, so I should be good. And I'm always careful to check thread depths, I've seen way too many blow outs inside of cases.

Comment

Been making lots of progress, but I'm terrible at remembering to take photos.

Engine is all back together.
          Head was cleaned, blasted, and milled; valves lapped and all new seals installed. Cams in and valves shimmed.
          Original pistons thoroughly decarboned and cleaned, new reproduction rings installed.
          Cylinders all looked great, I just did a quick ball hone to break the carbon ring and glaze.
          Sanded all exterior fins for uniformity.
          Auto cam chain tensioner installed.
          1st and 2nd gears back cut, 2nd gear shimmed and machined to accept a washer on both sides.
          Clutch parts were all good, only replaced clutch springs.
          All cases/covers were thoroughly cleaned and polished.
          New gaskets/seals all the way around.
          All hardware derusted and polished.
          I had two motors worth of parts to work with, so I used everything that looked/measured best... I'm hoping it's all tight and good

Comment

Gauges are done.
            Disassembled two sets, thoroughly cleaned all parts and tested everything.
            Assembled these out of all the best parts and some new rubbers to replace the blown out dampers.

Comment

I like your approach for the gauge gaskets. I tried using two strips of EPDM:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Replacement for Gauge Gaskets.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	864117

I am really enjoying watching the fantastic job you are doing. Your attention to detail is uncommon.

That bike is going to be ready for more than 100,000 miles of fun, and it's going to look perfect.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate it. Glad people are enjoying this; I build a lot of bikes, but have never done a thread like this. I dont have much of an online presence.

The rubbers I used are actually motorcycle muffler hanger insulators like the photo I attached, except I used grey just because.

Comment

Very impressive. Everything is looking really great, especially the wheels and rotors.
                  79 F
                  Previously owned: (among others)
                  1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                  1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                  1973 Suzuki TM 125
                  1979 XS1100 F
                  2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                  1991 BMW K75

Comment

Decided to cut the frame to get my angles right. I sliced in about 3/4 of the tube diameter, pulled the rear up a few degrees, then stitched it back together to make the seat fitment nice. Also detabbed and carved a bunch. Still have a lot to sort out with the frame, but I'm happy with how its coming.

Comment

You may want to put a bar or loop across the rear of the frame.I know it's only a seat back there, but a little wiggle can lead to problems. .There is a bolted "sub frame" between the back on a stock frame.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks. Its gonna get a hidden brace once everything else is in place. Theres still a lot to do with the frame. I initially planned on doing a loop, but ended up deciding it wasnt the look I wanted.

Comment

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I finally finished the xs11 in aug/sep 2022. Built many other bikes in the meantime, so this project kept going on the backburner, but I finally got it all together and dialed in. Gonna be posting pics in chronological order after this post.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X