Charka's XS1100G Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you both.

Yeah, I'm running stock ignition. Cleaned and lubed the mechanical and vacuum advance. Removed the factory set timing plate screws, replaced with Allen head, and reset timing.
    Stock ignition unit, pickup coils, ignition coils, wires, caps, with bpr6es plugs. Was debating different coils, but figured I'd try my stock stuff first. After running it I don't really see a reason to change anything, it starts easily and runs great.

The gpz carbs were pretty straightforward, they fit right into the stock intake boots, but are 2mm larger bore. After a few rejets it's running on 42 pilots and 125 mains currently. The gpz carbs use push/pull cables. I modified a stock xs11 throttle cable to fit and added an adjuster at the carbs. Where the push cable mounts to the carbs I made a small bracket that runs up to the center rear valve cover bolt because I don't like the weight of the carbs hanging entirely on rubber boots.
    The pod filters were a bit of a pain to fit... the gpz carbs have little protrusions (I assume to line up into the airbox) that wouldn't allow the filters to go on very far. I ended up carving notches into the ID of the filter boots to fit around those pieces and used thinner clamps slid as far forward as possible.

RaceTech did help me with the front end tuning. Its straight rate springs (0.96kg/mm) with 48mm spacers for 25mm of preload. The gold valve cartridge emulators are set with the yellow springs, three turns of preload, and all four bleed holes open. I welded the stock holes shut. I may play with the tuning a bit this spring, but really it feels fantastic, almost feels like modern forks.

I personally like the square gauges, especially the 85mph speedo
    I'm not crazy about the fork ears and may replace them if I can come up with something I like more.

Comment

Originally posted by Charka120 View Post
      Thank you both.

Yeah, I'm running stock ignition. Cleaned and lubed the mechanical and vacuum advance. Removed the factory set timing plate screws, replaced with Allen head, and reset timing.
      Stock ignition unit, pickup coils, ignition coils, wires, caps, with bpr6es plugs. Was debating different coils, but figured I'd try my stock stuff first. After running it I don't really see a reason to change anything, it starts easily and runs great.

The gpz carbs were pretty straightforward, they fit right into the stock intake boots, but are 2mm larger bore. After a few rejets it's running on 42 pilots and 125 mains currently. The gpz carbs use push/pull cables. I modified a stock xs11 throttle cable to fit and added an adjuster at the carbs. Where the push cable mounts to the carbs I made a small bracket that runs up to the center rear valve cover bolt because I don't like the weight of the carbs hanging entirely on rubber boots.
      The pod filters were a bit of a pain to fit... the gpz carbs have little protrusions (I assume to line up into the airbox) that wouldn't allow the filters to go on very far. I ended up carving notches into the ID of the filter boots to fit around those pieces and used thinner clamps slid as far forward as possible.

RaceTech did help me with the front end tuning. Its straight rate springs (0.96kg/mm) with 48mm spacers for 25mm of preload. The gold valve cartridge emulators are set with the yellow springs, three turns of preload, and all four bleed holes open. I welded the stock holes shut. I may play with the tuning a bit this spring, but really it feels fantastic, almost feels like modern forks.

I personally like the square gauges, especially the 85mph speedo
      I'm not crazy about the fork ears and may replace them if I can come up with something I like more.
      Beautiful!

Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Working...
      X