Charka's XS1100G Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charka's XS1100G Build

I'd been wanting to build an xs11 standard for a while, and I've finally found time and parts to start. Decided to do a build thread as I've never done one before and a few people have asked.
    Heres first day; I found a titled basket case in november. Previous owner was the second owner and had it for decades. All the individual parts are very clean; chrome is all very nice. He told me he tore it down to repaint; the purple is what he did to it. I've found out since then the real reason he tore it down, but that was later.

The purple paint job was actually done fairly well, but was not at all for me. I tried stripping down to the original paint underneath, but it wasnt working, so I had the tank burned at my local machine shop (they have a kiln for things like this).
    When I got it back I fell in love with the look it had and decided to stay with it.
    My initial intentions for the bike was an original paint restomod, but the tank changed direction for me and I decided to just go full custom.

Comment

After much debate I ordered a seat. Texavina was the brand, I believe. They have lots of options for xs1100s. I'll be chopping and welding the frame a tiny bit to make a clean fitment.
      During this time I was also ordering all the other new parts I'd be needing and cleaning up parts that came with the bike (grinding casting marks off, sandblasting, filing, etc.)

Comment

Found a nice set of carbs from a 1995 GPZ1100 that I'm going to attempt to use and thoroughly cleaned them.

Comment

Bought some special rotors, had them and the wheels soda blasted. Was originally going to paint the wheels to look original with black insets, but after getting them back decided to keep them raw.
          Painted the rotors gold and cleared the wheels with a two part, hardened clear.

Comment

Wheels all assembled with new tires, valves, seals, bearings, etc. All used parts were freshened up, whatever needed done.

Comment

I have a really nice, complete later motor that I originally planned on putting into this bike. But decided to just go through the motor that came with the bike so I could keep it matching numbers.
              PO said he never had any tranny issues, but I just went ahead and did the typical tranny mods anyways. Lightly back cut 1st and 2nd gears. Moved the washer behind 2nd gear and had the face machined down to accept another washer between it and the clip.
              Everything looks really good in this motor.... aside from the head.

Comment

The bike came with two heads when I bought it. Pretty much all valves, springs, etc. were out and loose in the bottoms of several boxes. PO "couldnt remember" why there were multiple heads.
                I sorted out everything and started cleaning parts intending to rebuild the better of the two heads.
                In the midst of doing all this I believe I pieced together what happened.
                Looks like the timing chain tensioner was covered in glue to keep it from leaking. I assume it was never adjusted after that. Looks like the slack in the chain + high revs let the chain float on the intake cam gear, skip time, caught again, snapped the intake cam and let all 8 valves smash into each other. All 8 valves were slightly bent. Amazingly none of the pistons took any damage, not a mark on any of them. So I'm just crossing my fingers at this point hoping the chain and bottom end will be good when I reassemble.
                I got a good head off of a member here (thanks again!). I fully disassembled, cleaned, decarboned, blasted, and its at the machine shop now being milled for flatness.

Comment

I burned a headlight bucket to match the tank and cleared them both.
                  Threw some of my finished parts together for the first real mock up. This is how its sitting right now. Going to modify the frame a bit then tear it back down to paint. Then I can start actual assembly. Trying my best to ride it this spring.

Comment

I do like the looks of the tank/headlamp. As you are putting the engine back together, read some of the mods we've done with the CTT. If you can find one from a Vmax or Venture they go right in, and keep the tension correct.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Love it, and am subscribed
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Started to look like a bike again! Nice work, the tank and headlight look great.
                        1979 XS1100 Special
                        1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
                        1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
                        1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

I like the look. Will definitely be a one of a kind.
                          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                          Jim

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I have an auto tensioner assembly from a grizzly 550, which is supposed to fit, I'll find out when I get there.

Comment

You may have to egg the bolt hole. Some of the auto TCT's are off by about 2mm. No big deal, I use a rat tail file a little on each hole.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X