Broke down and towed back home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motoman View Post
    True, cept for his sig. says it's a 79model, which uses 1.5ohm coils. Even bypassing the ballast resistor(as Grg stated) when using 3ohm coils, will create an issue with TCI module used on the 78-79 model bikes. Not bypassing the ballast resistor and using 1.5ohm coils IS the correct option for 78-79 model yr. XS1100's.
    Wait, what? The ballast resistor is 1.5 ohms. The reason you bypass the ballast resistor when using the 3 ohm coils is because it's too much resistance. I have Dyna DC-1 3 ohm coils, with the ballast reaistor bypassed.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
      Throwing parts at a problem before you know what the problem really is is a good way to waste money on new parts that may not fix the problem. My $.02
      Why not? That what dealerships do to troubleshoot Jk.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

True, cept for his sig. says it's a 79model, which uses 1.5ohm coils. Even bypassing the ballast resistor(as Grg stated) when using 3ohm coils, will create an issue with TCI module used on the 78-79 model bikes. Not bypassing the ballast resistor and using 1.5ohm coils IS the correct option for 78-79 model yr. XS1100's.
        I've been running 3 ohm coils with the resistor removed and bypassed in my 79F since 2007. The TCI is fine and with the 30KV Dyna DC1-1 coils I get better cold starts and much better throttle response.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
          I've been running 3 ohm coils with the resistor removed and bypassed in my 79F since 2007. The TCI is fine and with the 30KV Dyna DC1-1 coils I get better cold starts and much better throttle response.
          Knew that would get a rise of you and Ian.......whatever is working for you folks,.......just was stating what internally can happen with the 2H7 TCI as opposed to the one year used(1981) 4RO TCI if done incorrectly.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Knew that would get a rise of you and Ian.......whatever is working for you folks,.......just was stating what internally can happen with the 2H7 TCI as opposed to the one year used(1981) 4RO TCI if done incorrectly.
            I don't doubt for a minute that it could cause problems if you ran the 3 ohm coils on a 2H7 if you didn't bypass the resistor.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

So after going through my bike and giving up a milkion times i took the bike to a retired yamaha mechanic. took him a couple hours to figure it out.

The screw that holds the stator had worked its way out from the vibrations. It caused all types of timing issues and thats why the bike would not start.

welp! At least i got some. rand new coils now lol. Right on time for riding season at least.
              79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by adelii View Post
                So after going through my bike and giving up a milkion times i took the bike to a retired yamaha mechanic. took him a couple hours to figure it out.

The screw that holds the stator had worked its way out from the vibrations. It caused all types of timing issues and thats why the bike would not start.

welp! At least i got some. rand new coils now lol. Right on time for riding season at least.
                The governor bolt, or one of the three bolts that holds the stator to the stator cover? Not sure how the governor bolt would come loose, and the stator bolts that hold it to the cover would just cause the stator to rub on the cover, which would def cause some charging issues. But, timing issues I don't think . . .
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

from what the mechanic told me, it was switched from the vacuum operated one to the digital one. He said it was loose because if the bolt innthe middle?

all i know is that its running.
                  79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by adelii View Post
                    from what the mechanic told me, it was switched from the vacuum operated one to the digital one. He said it was loose because if the bolt innthe middle?

all i know is that its running.
                    Ahh, the advance. That makes sense. I was gonna say . . .
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Its back and it feels so good! Been takin her everywhere recently. Fixed all kinds of issues while it was at mechanic.

79 SF

Comment

79 SF

Comment

That Jardine spaghetti exhaust looks good.
                          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Thanks, sounds pretty good too. especially after 5k rpms
                            79 SF

Comment

looking good

I really like how that bike looks with the choice of bars, seat, and that exhaust!
                              '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                              '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                              '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Thanks! Im really digging it too.
                                79 SF

Comment

Working...
                                X