Broke down and towed back home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke down and towed back home

So i was cruising down the interstate at about 65 when all of a sudden i feel a loss of power and cant get the bike to go past 45 mph. Then i hear popping from the exhaust. I was able to get her to the side of the rode. I called a tow and got her back home. i tried to start her but i just doesnt want to. I hear it trying to start but it just pops and dies.

where do i start? it has gas.
    79 SF

Originally posted by adelii View Post
    So i was cruising down the interstate at about 65 when all of a sudden i feel a loss of power and cant get the bike to go past 45 mph. Then i hear popping from the exhaust. I was able to get her to the side of the rode. I called a tow and got her back home. i tried to start her but i just doesnt want to. I hear it trying to start but it just pops and dies.

where do i start? it has gas.
    Cruising to cursing that stinks.

Whats the condition of the pickup coil wires?
    Rub through the insulation on a wire and they ground out nicely. btdt broken wire inside too can do same thing.
    Pull the timing cover and look. A good place to start, imho

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I hope when you say tow you mean something like a Jerdan that picks the whole bike up. It's a major no-no to tow an XS11 with the back wheel on the ground. Without the motor running the transmission isn't being lubricated, and you can booger up your tranny by towing it that way.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

It was pushed up on a flat bed

i will check all the coils next weekend.
        79 SF

Comment

It was pushed up on a flat bed

i will check all the coils next weekend.
          Hi Adelii,
          As JeffH suggests the pick up coil wires under the cover on the left side of engine are a prime suspect. Pull each one as they frequently break inside the insulation. Also check the connections to he main coils under the tank. Kink / blocked fuel hoses can also severely restrict how fast it will go.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

It does seem like a fuel delivery problem; however, usually there will be 2 cylinders dropping out and not all 4. Let me just say that I have had a maintenance free battery fail while running and the black box will not provide continuous fire to all 4. You would have other clues, like the tachometer displaying low rpms as it is failing...
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
              I hope when you say tow you mean something like a Jerdan that picks the whole bike up. It's a major no-no to tow an XS11 with the back wheel on the ground. Without the motor running the transmission isn't being lubricated, and you can booger up your tranny by towing it that way.

Huh? There is no oil pressure going to your transmission when it's running. It's an oil bath. It simply splashes around in there whether towing or under its own power. Middle drive lubed, final drive lubed... Good to go on towing a bike, it's just sketchy to do so. Especially off of Colorado mountains in the snow. lol.

As to the original question, I'd say pickup coil wires as well, but also, you may want to check your timing. If your cam chain adjuster got a lot of slack, it could have jumped timing. You can just pull your #1 spark plug and use a plastic straw or something to find top dead center-ish to get you close, then see if you're still on your "T" mark. You'll have to have that left cover off anyway to check pickup coil wires.
              Last edited by trbig; 03-08-2016, 09:23 AM.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Had the same thing happen to me....pick up coil wires
                Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                  .....A definite false statement at best my friend .
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks guys, once i figure it out ill let you guys know. any help on where to buy wires and coils?

i did notice the wire from the stator that goes between frame and engine is exposed. i wonder if it got to hot.
                    79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                      Huh? There is no oil pressure going to your transmission when it's running. It's an oil bath. It simply splashes around in there whether towing or under its own power. Middle drive lubed, final drive lubed... Good to go on towing a bike, it's just sketchy to do so. Especially off of Colorado mountains in the snow. lol.
                      "Do not glide for long periods with the engine off, and do not tow the machine a long distance. Even with gears in neutral, the transmission is only properly lubricated when the engine is running. Inadequate lubrication may damage the transmission."

- Straight out of the Owner's Manual.
                      Last edited by dbeardslee; 03-08-2016, 12:01 PM.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks guys, once i figure it out ill let you guys know. any help on where to buy wires and coils?

i did notice the wire from the stator that goes between frame and engine is exposed. i wonder if it got to hot.
                        The wires that run from the stator go to a connector that sits behind the fuse panel. That connector is notorious for getting hot and melting. Might want to take a look. JAT

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post

As to the original question, I'd say pickup coil wires as well, but also, you may want to check your timing. If your cam chain adjuster got a lot of slack, it could have jumped timing. You can just pull your #1 spark plug and use a plastic straw or something to find top dead center-ish to get you close, then see if you're still on your "T" mark. You'll have to have that left cover off anyway to check pickup coil wires.
                          Yup.......that definitely turned into a fiasco for you guys a 120mi. south of me.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                            Yup.......that definitely turned into a fiasco for you guys a 120mi. south of me.
                            Towing him down the far side of Red Mountain into Silverton was the easy part. The hard part was following the tow truck over the next pass in the dark in blizzard conditions into Durango with Tod suffering in that hot cab of the towtruck.

We felt sorry for him..........
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                              Towing him down the far side of Red Mountain into Silverton was the easy part. The hard part was following the tow truck over the next pass in the dark in blizzard conditions into Durango with Tod suffering in that hot cab of the towtruck.

We felt sorry for him..........
                              +1.
                              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
                              X