a couple carb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
    Sure hope I'm not the only dummy that can tend to put the carb covers back on...forgetting to put the big spring back in!

Any lubrication to be done, such as choke or throttle linkages?

I didn't check/adjust float levels. Again because it runs well so I just put everything back as it was, just a little cleaner inside and outside.
    A couple drops of lite oil on the enricher shaft locations where it slides thru casting.......keeps from bending/breaking the engagement arm.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Would a tiny spot of Yamabond or RTV be ok on a single tiny pinhole in a diaphragm? (on my spare carbs)
      Neverending questions!
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

Would a tiny spot of Yamabond or RTV be ok on a single tiny pinhole in a diaphragm? (on my spare carbs)
        Neverending questions!
        it'll work.......until you use the carbs. Plasti-dip WILL also come loose....DAHIK.
        I did find one thing that works though....kinda pricey just for this use though.
        Automotive paint stores sell the professional fix for composite bumper repair, ect.(would even work for damaged fairing lowers with fractures).
        It's two part(one time use applicator is mixing chamber) product comes out a tube(s) similar to a two part exoxy syringe, thru mixing chamber, to application......you got 30sec. for 'set' time! As strong as or stronger than base material.
        I kinda 'waisted' one of the applicator/mixing chambers to test if it would work, as I only needed tiny 'dobs' in the eight wear locations of the diaphrams.
        Seems to have worked perfectly as I've had carbs apart since more than I would like to admit. Seems to also have given those points a wearing surface, so looks like it will last the duration of my riding yrs. I did this 'fix' 4-5yrs. ago.

Remove the metering rod and bring slide(s) with you, and I'll fix them for ya'....... also,still holding your camp spot.
        Last edited by motoman; 01-21-2015, 04:46 PM.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Carburetors

You should ALWAYS check/adjust the float levels. It is a very good idea to hook up a fuel source to the carburetors BEFORE you reinstall them. Check for leaks now rather than after they are back on the bike. Tilt them to simulate the bike being on the side stand.
          Sure hope I'm not the only dummy that can tend to put the carb covers back on...forgetting to put the big spring back in!

Any lubrication to be done, such as choke or throttle linkages?

I didn't check/adjust float levels. Again because it runs well so I just put everything back as it was, just a little cleaner inside and outside.
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Suppose I should do a search for the step by step of float adjustment, once again never having done it. Factory manual doesn't have much to say about it. Why would it be necessary if the floats were not removed?

Looking forward to that camp spot Brant. Sure hope it works out.
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

For diaphragm pin holes get some liquid electrical tape. CZ introduced me to this with the 80G I fixed up.

I sold the bike, but in think he has bikes that have been on the road a good while with that fix.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Float Adjustment

Suppose I should do a search for the step by step of float adjustment, once again never having done it. Factory manual doesn't have much to say about it. Why would it be necessary if the floats were not removed?

Looking forward to that camp spot Brant. Sure hope it works out.
                You do not know if they are adjusted properly unless you check them. If they are adjusted incorrectly, the bike can run lean or rich. With carbs off and apart there is no good reason NOT to check them. Search the forum and you will find adjustment procedures/details to set them correctly for your year/model. Both floats for each carb need to be the same.
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors
                Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Have read through a bunch of carb threads. All say to measure to the highest point of the float, with the carb upside down. But just where is that? Found this picture.

Most discussion seems to involve the carb base and whether to measure with or without the gasket, but little if any mention of exactly where on the float to measure to.
                  My # 1 measurement is very close to 23 mm
                  My # 2 measurement is very close to 21 mm
                  Which one to use?
                  I know that 23 mm is the proper setting to use on the SG carb.
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

#1 Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      #1 Dean.
                      Thank you sir...guess I'm good to go after all.
                      80 SG
                      81 SH in parts
                      99 ST1100
                      91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        #1 Dean.
                        Was just checking out a few youtube videos. One specifically said to use position #2 to measure the float heights, but I'm gonna believe you Brant!
                        For the definitive answer, does our XS group of experts all use position #1?
                        80 SG
                        81 SH in parts
                        99 ST1100
                        91 ST1100

Comment

Was just checking out a few youtube videos. One specifically said to use position #2 to measure the float heights, but I'm gonna believe you Brant!
                          For the definitive answer, does our XS group of experts all use position #1?
                          Carbs inverted, highest point of float for measurement. Key is ALL be set identically the same with same method.
                          If using OEM float needles, setting floats identically the same will have running fuel levels really close to the same.
                          If using K&L or other aftermarket float needles, chances are pretty good running fuel levels will vary between all four carbs. The springs in the K&L float needles seem to have varying tensions, and I had one that compressed farther than the rest causing fuel to weep a wet place around bowl when bike was initially shut off.(maybe that's why five needles come in their packaging).
                          Consequently, I've had many carb removal/installs from poor quality control of float needle construction.

Comment

Quick carb install question. I have the carb bank slipped back onto the engine boots, but can't quite get it back on the air box boots. I think it's due to that damn airbox hanger thing. It's still hanging below it's mounting bracket.

Do I get that back where it belongs first (above the bracket), before connecting up the carbs?
                            80 SG
                            81 SH in parts
                            99 ST1100
                            91 ST1100

Comment

So the bolts are removed so the airbox will slide rearward? Shouldn't be a problem if the box is slid back.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                                So the bolts are removed so the airbox will slide rearward? Shouldn't be a problem if the box is slid back.
                                Airbox is completely loose. It will just not move up above its mounting point of the frame..

What bolts? I'm not touching the screws that hold the bracket on.
                                80 SG
                                81 SH in parts
                                99 ST1100
                                91 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X