a couple carb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple carb questions

Possible to pull a pilot jet for checking/cleaning (#2) without pulling the carbs? (I suppose one would need just the right 90 degree bent screwdriver)

New float bowl gaskets required whenever the bowls come off?

Can 81 bowls go on an 80, to gain the drain feature?
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    The only thing to watch for is trying to get the pilot out without stripping the top of the jet. IF it's been in for a while, I would pull the carbs! I don't replace carb gaskets unless they rip badly as I pull the bowl. I believe you can put the '82 bowl on the '78 carb, so they will all interchange. BUT I'm going from memory, and most of my work has been on '78 to '80 machines..
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
      Possible to pull a pilot jet for checking/cleaning (#2) without pulling the carbs? (I suppose one would need just the right 90 degree bent screwdriver)

New float bowl gaskets required whenever the bowls come off?

Can 81 bowls go on an 80, to gain the drain feature?
      Yes, but wouldn't risk as it only takes 10min. to pull carb bank.
      No, they're fairly thick and robust.
      No, IIRC pic-up tube doesn't clear correctly.

Dean, overall if you suspect contamination/blockage that's carb related, even if just one carb is suspect, others may soon follow. IMO, worth the extra 10-15min. to remove carbs and ALL bowls and do a close inspection of internal pieces.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Bowls

The pick up tube for the enrichement cct is offset slightly from the 81's so the bowls aren't interchangeable. I agree with pulling the carbs and cleaning them properly. From a 90 degree screwdriver you won't get that pilot out w/o stipping it, then you have issues.
        While it seems like a daunting task, you can have the carbs out in 8 minutes provided you don't have an octy.(Thats another minute)
        Remove seat and tank
        Loosen intake and airbox clamps
        Slip air box clamps off all the way to the rear until they are against air box
        Remove three bolts holding air box in place and pull air box to the rear
        Remove crankcase breather tube upper clamp and pull the tube out, bend it down and to the rear and tuck under the air box
        Pull the carbs straight back, wiggle them up and down a few times and they will pop out of the intakes.
        Tip them up slightly forward and remove to the left side paying attension to the head oil feed tube and throttle linkage.
        Remove throttle cable as soon as you have enough play
        Remove vacum advance hose, Note the it attaches to the #2 carb
        Slide the carbs out the rest of the way.

Reverse to install.
        mack
        79 XS 1100 SF Special
        HERMES
        original owner
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
        SPICA
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
        IOTA
        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
        Frankford, Ont, Canada
        613-398-6186

Comment

Yea, I know I should take em off. But it's cold out and a scary job! Quite sure they've never been removed. Cylinder 2 has taken a long time to get going for quite a while now, but once that #2 header finally gets hot, it runs great.
          Had the carbs off the ST recently, to replace all hoses while I was doing the timing belt.
          So,
          It's gonna be nice and warm on Christmas Eve. Good time to do it. Actually I have removed XS carbs once, when I stripped everything off the SF.
          I'll get the kitchen table ready for some work to be done.
          80 SG
          81 SH in parts
          99 ST1100
          91 ST1100

Comment

Yea, I know I should take em off. But it's cold out and a scary job! Quite sure they've never been removed. Cylinder 2 has taken a long time to get going for quite a while now, but once that #2 header finally gets hot, it runs great.
            Had the carbs off the ST recently, to replace all hoses while I was doing the timing belt.
            So,
            It's gonna be nice and warm on Christmas Eve. Good time to do it. Actually I have removed XS carbs once, when I stripped everything off the SF.
            Dean, having the STeed carbs off(BTDT), you should have the XS carbs off in 10min........while blind-folded.

I'll add remove lower portion of air-box and filter first........gives the extra room to drop box DOWN, leaving carb intakes tottally clear of any air-box interference. As you go back in from left side with carb bank, hook up throttle cable.....easier than after carb bank is mounted.
            Last edited by motoman; 12-22-2014, 06:28 PM.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

One other tip, since you say you are working in the cold.
              When it comes time to reinstall, borrow your wife or girlfriend's hair dryer. Set it on high heat, and blow it on the rubber manifold tubes. Smear a little vasaline on the insides. When they are good and warm, slip the carbs in.
              Do not use an industrial heat gun without constant monitoring, as they can melt the rubber.
              CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                One other tip, since you say you are working in the cold.
                When it comes time to reinstall, borrow your wife or girlfriend's hair dryer. Set it on high heat, and blow it on the rubber manifold tubes. Smear a little vasaline on the insides. When they are good and warm, slip the carbs in.
                Do not use an industrial heat gun without constant monitoring, as they can melt the rubber.
                CZ
                +1 on that. Even if you just set a little electric space heater so it blows on the boots it makes a HUGE difference when it's cold.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yes, +1 on what CZ said, get the boots good and warm. I find a quick shot of hairspray on the outside of the carb outlets provides some add'l lube while it's wet, then some stick after the carbs are slid in and dries. Or some rubbing alcohol slathered on the carb outlets for a bit of add'l slick factor that dries without a trace.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Are we at the Salon?
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hi Dean,
                      SO No Turkey being cooked at your house
                      Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        Are we at the Salon?
                        Hmmmm.......that went from carb R/R to hands-on cosmotology fairly quick.

Comment

Ba80, nothing but the finest treatment for the XS. Probably best to use a boutique brand of hairspray vs Wal Mart "White Rain".

I need to do a re-hab of the 80SG carbs over the winter/this spring. When I had them apart replacing o-rings on the needle seats and fuel screws before the most XSellent Colorado Rally this past July, the needle tips had pronounced rings on them from resting on the seats, and I feel that is causing the engine to be fat at idle and just off idle by not controlling fuel level as well as it should in the bowls.

I learned a crap-ton about carbs doing the retro fit of ZZR1200 carbs onto my ZRX1200, and now I have a set of ZRX 1200 (Keihin CVK36 mm) carbs that just might find a way onto the 80SG...

For anyone that has done the ZRX carb swap, has anyone kept the stock airbox for the stealth look instead of pods?
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                            Ba80, nothing but the finest treatment for the XS. Probably best to use a boutique brand of hairspray vs Wal Mart "White Rain".
                            ......WhiteRain still makes for the best grip-glue...for all brands/styles of scoots.............a shot of silicone spray in the carb boots makes short work of carb installation........especially helpful sprayed inside the air-box boots.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              ..........a shot of silicone spray in the carb boots makes short work of carb installation........especially helpful sprayed inside the air-box boots.
                              Armor All or any similar product is my choice lube for carburetor installation.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X