No announcement yet.

Jet Kit for 79 xs1100F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great point. I guess I will try and look for some new slides. This is such a great forum. I have learned so much. So from what I gather from the conversation I should try new slides with my original carbs rather than purchase second gen carbs and use a dynojet kit. Is that correct? Also, are there other bikes that use the same slides such as xs400, xs650, xs750 or xs850? This might help in my search. As you can tell this carb stuff is beyond me. Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
    It's not just the weight, but it's also the fact that the original hole is a metered air orifice. That was considered by some to be the main problem with the drilled slides; the home-drilled holes just weren't as consistent in air flow as the factory holes. IIRC some did try to repair the altered slides, but still chased tuning issues until new ones were fitted.
    Last edited by TheRev; 01-23-2015, 12:03 AM.
    1979 xs1100f
    New Fuse Box
    Progressive Shocks
    Gold Valve Emulator
    Dyna Coils
    Electronic Flasher
    Led Headlight
    Led Turn Signals
    4 Led Driving Lights
    2nd Gear Fix
    Auto Cam Tensioner
    Digital Dash
    Stainless Braided Lines
    R6 4 Piston Calipers
    Stainless Bolt Kit
    Maier Fairing
    Dyna Balancing Beads
    Spin On Oil Filter
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    Plasti Dip Rims
    ISO Grips

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
      It's not just the weight, but it's also the fact that the original hole is a metered air orifice. That was considered by some to be the main problem with the drilled slides; the home-drilled holes just weren't as consistent in air flow as the factory holes. IIRC some did try to repair the altered slides, but still chased tuning issues until new ones were fitted.
      With the utmost respect Steve, I find it hard to believe plugging a small hole with the same or similar material will affect the weight of the slides and if it did make the slides a miniscule heavier the thirty-something year old sprung springs would equal the equation . . . good nuf.

I sure would plug the holes before I'd spend a nickel on others.
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRev View Post
        are there other bikes that use the same slides such as xs400, xs650, xs750 or xs850? This might help in my search. As you can tell this carb stuff is beyond me. Thanks for the help.
        XS650 slides should be the same on 1980 and later bikes. The needles are likely not a match.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Well, closest engine to our's is my 850. However, the 850 came with Hitachi carbs, which I swapped for my Mikuni MKII's I had extra from my 750's. I believe my 750's and 1100 have the same slides. At-least they look close:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...867927&alt=web
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

http://xs1100.com/partinfo.php?myid=...F3-14940-00-00
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Those look like they are the same as the xs1100. I think I will pick them up. Ian, do you run your bike on pods. If so what jetting do you suggest? Thanks

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
              Well, closest engine to our's is my 850. However, the 850 came with Hitachi carbs, which I swapped for my Mikuni MKII's I had extra from my 750's. I believe my 750's and 1100 have the same slides. At-least they look close:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...867927&alt=web
              1979 xs1100f
              New Fuse Box
              Progressive Shocks
              Gold Valve Emulator
              Dyna Coils
              Electronic Flasher
              Led Headlight
              Led Turn Signals
              4 Led Driving Lights
              2nd Gear Fix
              Auto Cam Tensioner
              Digital Dash
              Stainless Braided Lines
              R6 4 Piston Calipers
              Stainless Bolt Kit
              Maier Fairing
              Dyna Balancing Beads
              Spin On Oil Filter
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              Plasti Dip Rims
              ISO Grips

Comment

DiverRay

Did you have any luck looking for those slide? Thanks

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                Let me look at what I have, Rev. I MAY have a set of slides, but I need to pull and check them, as the carbs went through an engine fire.
                As for color tune, a set of gauges to set the carbs will make it run as well as anything else, and ARE the proper way of setting up a multi-carb engine. You should be able to get a 4 gauge set on ebay for about $100. That and a box fan are all you need.
                1979 xs1100f
                New Fuse Box
                Progressive Shocks
                Gold Valve Emulator
                Dyna Coils
                Electronic Flasher
                Led Headlight
                Led Turn Signals
                4 Led Driving Lights
                2nd Gear Fix
                Auto Cam Tensioner
                Digital Dash
                Stainless Braided Lines
                R6 4 Piston Calipers
                Stainless Bolt Kit
                Maier Fairing
                Dyna Balancing Beads
                Spin On Oil Filter
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                Plasti Dip Rims
                ISO Grips

Comment

Those look like they are the same as the xs1100. I think I will pick them up. Ian, do you run your bike on pods. If so what jetting do you suggest? Thanks
                  My 750 I have K&N pods, and I dropped the clip one position, stock Main's. However, on my XS11, I have a heavily modded airbox, with a one-size bigger main jet. The jetting was used with Mac pipes along with the airbox mod. Prior to riding this season, I will drop back down to 137.5's, but increase my pilots for the teeny-tiny performance gain. If I cannot achieve the tune/gas mileage I'm seeking, I will revert back to current jetting (yes, I know bigger pilot jets may hurt gas mileage).
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Ian

Do you have a color tune for adjusting the air fuel mix? I have a motion pro for syncing the carbs but many people on this forum is suggesting a color tune to get the mix right.

Rev- If you need to borrow my Carbtune, I could loan it to you. No need to buy a gauge set.
                    1979 xs1100f
                    New Fuse Box
                    Progressive Shocks
                    Gold Valve Emulator
                    Dyna Coils
                    Electronic Flasher
                    Led Headlight
                    Led Turn Signals
                    4 Led Driving Lights
                    2nd Gear Fix
                    Auto Cam Tensioner
                    Digital Dash
                    Stainless Braided Lines
                    R6 4 Piston Calipers
                    Stainless Bolt Kit
                    Maier Fairing
                    Dyna Balancing Beads
                    Spin On Oil Filter
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    Plasti Dip Rims
                    ISO Grips

Comment

Yes I do, and I can assure you it's absolutely useless. I thought I knew what I was doing with it, and I found a "plug chop" method of tuning to be spot-on. It's time-consuming, but get's u dead accurate.

And, to the contrary, I think many on here actually advise against buying them.
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

Yes I do, and I can assure you it's absolutely useless.
                        Hi Ian,
                        Best laugh to day.
                        Thanks
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Keep your stacks.

One of the reasons pods suck is that people remove the stock velocity stacks and clamp them to the end of the carb. There is a reason for the velocity stacks in the airbox: Tuned length intakes. There is an optimal length of intake tract for every rpm and engine load. The best solution would be variable length ( and even diameter) intake tracts but at least the ones in there are the best compromise. Get rid of them and you lose a lot of the lower end torque and you can't get that back with jetting. At least people should mount their pods on velocity stacks so as not to lose power but you should know that pods without stacks do not "flow better" they flow worse.

Would require less messing with to run right too.
                          Living to EXcess.
                          1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
                          Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
                          1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Comment

So you suggest attaching the pods to the end of the rubber velocity stack that usaly goes into the air box? I'm not sure the rubber would hold the pod well. What about using a pvc tupe in place of the veloicity stack? I could cut a pvc tube the same length. Or perhaps I just need to buck up and use the damn air box with the stock jets.

Originally posted by Orange4 View Post
                            Keep your stacks.

One of the reasons pods suck is that people remove the stock velocity stacks and clamp them to the end of the carb. There is a reason for the velocity stacks in the airbox: Tuned length intakes. There is an optimal length of intake tract for every rpm and engine load. The best solution would be variable length ( and even diameter) intake tracts but at least the ones in there are the best compromise. Get rid of them and you lose a lot of the lower end torque and you can't get that back with jetting. At least people should mount their pods on velocity stacks so as not to lose power but you should know that pods without stacks do not "flow better" they flow worse.

Would require less messing with to run right too.
                            1979 xs1100f
                            New Fuse Box
                            Progressive Shocks
                            Gold Valve Emulator
                            Dyna Coils
                            Electronic Flasher
                            Led Headlight
                            Led Turn Signals
                            4 Led Driving Lights
                            2nd Gear Fix
                            Auto Cam Tensioner
                            Digital Dash
                            Stainless Braided Lines
                            R6 4 Piston Calipers
                            Stainless Bolt Kit
                            Maier Fairing
                            Dyna Balancing Beads
                            Spin On Oil Filter
                            Stebel Nautilus Horn
                            Plasti Dip Rims
                            ISO Grips

Comment

Or perhaps I just need to buck up and use the damn air box with the stock jets.
                              This would be ideal if you still have it. Pods (or P.O.D.'s as my new-to-biking buddy calls them), are over-rated in a street-riding application. Anybody using them for street use either lost their box, or was un-informed as to their application (racing). My 750 never had an airbox, thus pods.
                              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Do you think if I put the airbox back on i would be able to tune the carbs with the drilled out slide? Or to I need to purchase other slides?
                                1979 xs1100f
                                New Fuse Box
                                Progressive Shocks
                                Gold Valve Emulator
                                Dyna Coils
                                Electronic Flasher
                                Led Headlight
                                Led Turn Signals
                                4 Led Driving Lights
                                2nd Gear Fix
                                Auto Cam Tensioner
                                Digital Dash