Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Carbs

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
    I know we have the same bike, but do u have the '79 carbs? Stock, you should have 137.5 Mains, and 40 Pilot jets(?). Start there. Plug chop come Spring.
    All of the stock 78E Carbs that I have disassembled had 137.5 mains, 45 pilot jet, and 210 air jet - even though none of the service literature eludes to those sizes for the E. Also, all of the emulsion tubes had the same number of holes in them.

The 79F/SF carbs have 137.5 mains, 42.5 pilot, and 180 air jet. The emulsion tubes are different. Tubes with the most holes go to the inner carbs - least holes to the outer carbs.

Also have noticed that the float height setting varied during the years. Check the manual for the type/year carbs that you are using for the correct setting.
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Air Filters

The link has three options. I believe the Hi-Flo is just a paper filter and probably works great. The Uni is a very good filter and costs much less than the K&N. The K&N listed here is probably at about the best price you're going to find it.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

K&N Air Filters

Here is a good price and free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-Air-Filt...b37d96&vxp=mtr
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
          All of the stock 78E Carbs that I have disassembled had 137.5 mains, 45 pilot jet, and 210 air jet - even though none of the service literature eludes to those sizes for the E. Also, all of the emulsion tubes had the same number of holes in them.

The 79F/SF carbs have 137.5 mains, 42.5 pilot, and 180 air jet. The emulsion tubes are different. Tubes with the most holes go to the inner carbs - least holes to the outer carbs.

Also have noticed that the float height setting varied during the years. Check the manual for the type/year carbs that you are using for the correct setting.
          Thanks Matt. I knew 40 did not sound right. And, I believe the air jets are basically non-removable, correct? Aren't they pressed in?
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Thanks Matt. I knew 40 did not sound right. And, I believe the air jets are basically non-removable, correct? Aren't they pressed in?
            *I meant Mike
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

No, back of carb bell, and they are SmallMikuni main jets.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                No, back of carb bell, and they are SmallMikuni main jets.
                To expand and clarify on this. There are 2 different air jets. The pilot air jet is removable. There is also a main air jet and that is a pressed it fixed jet.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks Nate. So, the 180 air jet is the pressed-in jet, correct?
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Thanks Nate. So, the 180 air jet is the pressed-in jet, correct?
                    Nope.

180 Pilot air jet is threaded in (LH side of bell).

140 Main air jet is pressed in (RH side of bell, I think)
                    -Mike
                    _________
                    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I cleaned up the air box today and I am missing one of the special nuts that hold the air box together. I don't suppose any of you would happen to have a air box nut laying around, would you? I couldn't find one online.
                      1979 xs1100f
                      New Fuse Box
                      Progressive Shocks
                      Gold Valve Emulator
                      Dyna Coils
                      Electronic Flasher
                      Led Headlight
                      Led Turn Signals
                      4 Led Driving Lights
                      2nd Gear Fix
                      Auto Cam Tensioner
                      Digital Dash
                      Stainless Braided Lines
                      R6 4 Piston Calipers
                      Stainless Bolt Kit
                      Maier Fairing
                      Dyna Balancing Beads
                      Spin On Oil Filter
                      Stebel Nautilus Horn
                      Plasti Dip Rims
                      ISO Grips

Comment

Originally posted by TheRev View Post
                        Thanks for all the advice. I cleaned up the air box today and I am missing one of the special nuts that hold the air box together. I don't suppose any of you would happen to have a air box nut laying around, would you? I couldn't find one online.
                        I was looking a these last week before I freed mine up with an easy out. Seller is in the UK somewhere I believe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-...16a7e7&vxp=mtr
                        81 xs1100 SH
                        81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                        80 suzuki gs550et
                        07 suzuki S40

Comment

I'm a convert to the UNIs. They are what almost every motocrosser uses and they want the best flow and dust control.

Here's a quote from this thread:

Uni's are generally less expensive
                          Uni's can be oiled with almost anything (although Uni does recommend thier own foam oil)
                          Uni's are arguably easier & faster to clean
                          Uni's are arguably more durable
                          The Uni pods on my Triumph outflow the K&N's they replaced"

"aaaaannnnnndddddd...... oiled foam air filters have been proven in laboratory tests to STOP MORE DIRT than gauze and screen, time after time. Isn't that the whole reason we decided to use air filters anyway?
                          Living to EXcess.
                          1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
                          Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
                          1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Comment

I will NEVER use a Uni in a street bike. I've taken a few air boxes apart, and the one with the uni had nothing but crud clogging up things. They WILL come apart after just a few years because of the heat and oil in the street bikes. I know, race bikes get hotter, but not for the length of time a street bike does.
                            I run K&N in all my bikes, as well as the wife's ML320. JMHO
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

So i pulled my main jets yesterday and I can't tell what size they are. Is there a special number I should be looking for? If so where should it be? I can't see any numbers on these jets. Perhaps they wore off.
                              1979 xs1100f
                              New Fuse Box
                              Progressive Shocks
                              Gold Valve Emulator
                              Dyna Coils
                              Electronic Flasher
                              Led Headlight
                              Led Turn Signals
                              4 Led Driving Lights
                              2nd Gear Fix
                              Auto Cam Tensioner
                              Digital Dash
                              Stainless Braided Lines
                              R6 4 Piston Calipers
                              Stainless Bolt Kit
                              Maier Fairing
                              Dyna Balancing Beads
                              Spin On Oil Filter
                              Stebel Nautilus Horn
                              Plasti Dip Rims
                              ISO Grips

Comment

Originally posted by TheRev View Post
                                I have one. Message me if you are interested.
                                79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X