No announcement yet.

Help, Gas coming out of Airbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal gaskets from GeorgeFixes should be here today - can't wait to get this fixed so I can get riding some more before it gets too cold. I am up in the North East - starting to get colder here already.

Steve
    79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      Looks like this, it is mounted to the top of the #2 carb.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-xs1100-xs...#ht_830wt_1137

AHA!!! I was wondering what that bracket was supposed to be holding when I removed it from the carb....

I have been following this thread, I have the same problem, too much fuel coming into the cylinder.... stops firing, fuel runs out of pod.... I cry more....
      Last edited by gryphon51; 10-04-2012, 02:42 PM.
      1979 XS1100
      Was going to be a ratbike, instead it is
      Turning into a "Labour of Love" Restoration...

Comment

I think my carbs are not the correct ones for the bike...

the bike came with a second set, but nothing is the same, the brass cylinders on the diaphrams are smaller than in these, and the diaphram caps are less "pretty".....

I have to admit, after years of fuel injection, I am close to just selling this thing...

1979 XS1100

Comment

Those carbs came from '81 XS11. You can tell by the float bowl.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Those carbs came from '81 XS11. You can tell by the float bowl.
            Maybe.... He's got 'frankencarbs', as the bodies are definitely '80-81 type, but note they also have '78-79 cast tops on them...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              Maybe.... He's got 'frankencarbs', as the bodies are definitely '80-81 type, but note they also have '78-79 cast tops on them...
              That is true, BUT the bowls will not interchange between the early carbs and the later carbs unless you F up the brass tube. The tops easily interchange. Plus they have the 2 rails on the bank rather than just the single rail on the early carbs. Also the idle adjuster is not where it would be for the early carbs.

Maybe they are '80, but I would bet on '81. They certainly are not '78 or '79!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Petcock rebuild kits showed up today. Tomorrow after work will tell. Maybe by tomorrow evening I will be on the road. crossing my fingers and toes.

lol

Steve
                79 XS1100 SF

Comment

That is true, BUT the bowls will not interchange between the early carbs and the later carbs unless you F up the brass tube. The tops easily interchange. Plus they have the 2 rails on the bank rather than just the single rail on the early carbs. Also the idle adjuster is not where it would be for the early carbs.

The Cast tops are off the other set, they polished up much nicer and seemed interchangeable, I found the bowls were not interchangeable after I did this work... grr..... close but no Cigar....

There is no reason why these carbs will not work on my bike though correct? I mean other than the gas running out onto the ground part....

Last edited by gryphon51; 10-05-2012, 01:33 PM.
                  1979 XS1100

Comment

Carbs will work fine as long as you jet to the year of the carbs and not to the year of the bike.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

• eeeek...leeeeks!

I've read this string and would like to put my 2 cents in if I may.......I've had the same prob with my carbs...81 SH. The Octy is gone so I have blocked off one of the petcock nips and ran a fuel line with in-line filter to carb Ts. I crisscrossed the furl lines from the petcocks. My biggest prob was with trash getting between the float needle and seat. I used a jeweler's glass to see what the trash might be........dang....bug parts! No kidding! I used a auxiliary fuel tank to do my carb. sync. and I didn't check to see if the tank was clean. Dang bugs had gotten in it before i put gas in. This was before i put in-line filters in. So....you see these float needles are extremely sensitive to any grit or small particle making it not close off well. Make 100% sure the needles are 100% clean.....hope you clear this up man...lots of good folks in here to help!....oil is not cheep anymore....and a trashed engine is out of the question!
                      Last edited by brcree; 10-05-2012, 03:09 PM.
                      At this time:
                      1985 Goldwing Innr.
                      1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                      2007 vtx 1300
                      81 sx 1100 s h
                      81 sx 400 special

Comment

• Originally posted by natemoen View Post

Natemoen IS correct, those are 81 carbs. BTW Steve, 80 and 81 are NOT the same. Bowls will NOT interchange between the two models. Unfortunate, as it would make it easy to 'hose' the fuel levels if they would. 81 and XJ carbs ARE the same cept for the main jetting and metering rods.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          ...Steve, 80 and 81 are NOT the same. Bowls will NOT interchange between the two models. Unfortunate, as it would make it easy to 'hose' the fuel levels if they would. 81 and XJ carbs ARE the same cept for the main jetting and metering rods.
                          Uh, 'scuse me? I have swapped bowls between the 80 and 81 carbs and didn't have any issues. What makes them non-interchangable?

And the XS and XJ carbs have a different choke setup, they're not the same. The XJ is cable operated, no lever on the carbs. You can't swap the XS choke linkage onto the XJ carbs unless you drill the #1 and 4 carb bodies for the linkage detents, otherwise you have to physically hold the choke lever 'on'...
                          Last edited by crazy steve; 10-05-2012, 06:17 PM.
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

• Put in the new gasket and o-rings in the petcocks and no more leaking. I got everything back together and had a short, but nice ride this evening.

Thank you everyone for all your help, advice, information.

Here is a pick of my bike.

Thank you,

Steve
                            79 XS1100 SF

Comment

• I cannot speak to a difference between '80 and '81 bowls. Only between '78 and '81.

Glad you got your issues figured out!
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

• Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                                Uh, 'scuse me? I have swapped bowls between the 80 and 81 carbs and didn't have any issues. What makes them non-interchangable?

And the XS and XJ carbs have a different choke setup, they're not the same. The XJ is cable operated, no lever on the carbs. You can't swap the XS choke linkage onto the XJ carbs unless you drill the #1 and 4 carb bodies for the linkage detents, otherwise you have to physically hold the choke lever 'on'...
                                Well, guess you had a cooperating set of carbs. Normally the body casting is such that a bit of a giggle after in place in the recess can't be had having bowls in a slight bind when tightened down. As for the differences, I was speaking of the internal differences as far as stock main jetting and metering rod differences. The later model carbs as far as stock jetting AND metering rods ARE different for the Special than for the Standard and are even different yet for the XJ.....and the Clymers page for main jetting stock on the 80-81Specials is dead wrong. 80-81 Specials from factory were 110's across. Correct for same years Standard, but each model also had different configuration of metering rods, which is also correct in the clymers. Don't remember right off, but the XJ had even different configuration metering rods/part numbers AND 112 main jets across for stock. Just something that may help others if dealing with stock jetting having stock intake and stock exhaust, and as you know, PO's and shop personnel occassionally get their fingers in where they shouldn't be leaving the next owner scratching their head trying to figure out where things are wrong at, like throwing in K&L or RD jetting and such......you know the drill....
                                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                                X