No announcement yet.

Help, Gas coming out of Airbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check with Andreas to see if he has a whole octopus available that you can raid for the part you need.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

• Correction

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      The Standards (which is what an H would be) do not have an octy, only the specials had the octy. But I must say that the petcocks you describe do not sound like the oem style petcocks, so those are different.
      You are right. No Octy on the Standards (H). The vacuum petcocks on mine have been replaced by PO with Pingle brand petcocks. They have no vacuum. The positions are OFF-ON-RESERVE. I am able to manually turn the fuel off. I have checked them several times and there is no fuel leaking out when they are off.
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
        You are right. No Octy on the Standards (H). The vacuum petcocks on mine have been replaced by PO with Pingle brand petcocks. They have no vacuum. The positions are OFF-ON-RESERVE. I am able to manually turn the fuel off. I have checked them several times and there is no fuel leaking out when they are off.
        After reading this thread isn't this the simplest solution? As long as you remember to shut the fuel off. Do you have the Pingle part number?

Comment

• Originally posted by Thumbs Up View Post
          After reading this thread isn't this the simplest solution? As long as you remember to shut the fuel off. Do you have the Pingle part number?

IMHO the simple solution is to rebuild the original petcocks and they're good, for at least a couple decades, if done with care.

I have originals on my '83 XJ 750 and they still work fine AND I don't have to double check if I turned them off.
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

• I can block off the Octy, put a clamp on the vacuum hose or replace the petcocks. It's just that I want to keep my mc as Original as possible, like I did with all my other (vintage / classic) motorcycles.
            79 SF Canadian

Comment

• Originally posted by Thumbs Up View Post
              Those Pingle taps are extremely expensive and I've read one or two reports of them leaking through the tap body. Personally, I'd rebuild the OEM taps...
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

• My petcocks works properly, it's just the spider/octy/octopus I need the missing plastic part for (support disc between the two membranes).
                79 SF Canadian

Comment

• I agree that the proper thing to do is to rebuild the petcocks and I have done this a few times over the life of my bike. The issue is this will not always stop the leaks from pitcocks. The gas you get has ethanol in it and tends to create moisture. The moisture tends to corrode the tank and all sediments go to the bottom and can get into the petcocks and into the carbs. Moisture can cause the float needle not to settle correctly and allow gas to flow free. The moisture also causes fine rust that will cause issues with petcocks and carbs.
                  If you polish and clean the internals of the petcocks and the carbs and run the bike frequently you will not have issues.
                  However you can run your bike all summer have no problem and then let it sit for more than a couple of months with gas in it and it is somewhat likely to have this problem again depending on how much sediment is in the gas. You also have to be careful where and when you get gas. If a truck is there filling the tank chances are you can pump trash into your bike also.
                  If you store the bike you can minimize the chance of water by additives that fight ethanol issues or you can drain the gas and fog the tank with light spray oil.

So you need to decide if you are lucky and can avoid the problems or you need to get the manual on off valves and never worry about it again.
                  To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                  1980 G Silverbird
                  Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                  1198 Overbore kit
                  Grizzly 660 ACCT
                  Barnett Clutch Springs
                  R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                  122.5 Main Jets
                  ACCT Mod
                  Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                  Antivibe Bar ends
                  Rear trunk add-on
                  http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

• I use ethanol free gas, which is still available in Holland.
                    During hibernation I fill the tank with Aspen petrol (for lawn movers, etc.) which is ethanol free and has no cyclic compounds to form solid deposits. I've written an article on this for a couple of MC magazines, but unfortunately it's in Dutch.
                    My only problem is that one part is missing, the diaphragm support.
                    I have no problems whatsoever with all my other mc's.
                    79 SF Canadian

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Geutskens View Post
                      My only problem is that one part is missing, the diaphragm support.
                      Ben,
                      Many people on the forum throw that valve away. (I'm not one of them.) Surely, someone has a malfunctioning vacuum shutoff valve they would be willing to send to you.

I've had an XS650 since 1983 and the vacuum petcock has never been and issue. On my XS1100 Special, I replaced the vacuum shutoff with a new one. It failed after a season or two and I rebuilt it. It has been fine since. I am also using corn-free fuel most of the time.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

• Who has one for me?
                        79 SF Canadian

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Geutskens View Post
                          Who has one for me?
                          Ben,

I suggest you start a new thread. Title it Vacuum shutoff (octopus) valve wanted. I think that will work best for you.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

• OK,thanks.
                            79 SF Canadian

Comment

Working...