Help, Gas coming out of Airbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel

I got an XS1100 H that PO had removed the octy and replaced the petcocks with what is best described as 3 position valves. There is Off, On, and Reserve and they each have only one outlet. So there are only 2 fuel lines - one each w/filter going to each pair of carbs. It is definitely a cleaner setup.

Never have seen this particular type of fuel valve before. Each has a lever that clocks from front to back. Front is Off, rear is On, middle is Reserve. They actually look pretty nice - polished aluminum. Will get some pix later.

MP
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      That's cause you have a special, and specials don't have that in the petcocks, they only have that in the octy.
      Oop's my mistake.
      Or, to quote the old television skit, "Never mind". CZ

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
        I got an XS1100 H that PO had removed the octy and replaced the petcocks with what is best described as 3 position valves. There is Off, On, and Reserve and they each have only one outlet. So there are only 2 fuel lines - one each w/filter going to each pair of carbs. It is definitely a cleaner setup.

Never have seen this particular type of fuel valve before. Each has a lever that clocks from front to back. Front is Off, rear is On, middle is Reserve. They actually look pretty nice - polished aluminum. Will get some pix later.

MP
        The Standards (which is what an H would be) do not have an octy, only the specials had the octy. But I must say that the petcocks you describe do not sound like the oem style petcocks, so those are different.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Just as another piece of knowledge(I like to learn why I am doing something), how does the heigt of the floats effect the operation of the bike?

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          That is 25.7mm +/- 1 mm
          79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Changing the float height will make the bike run rich/lean (higher=rich, lower=lean) so getting the floats right is critical.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

float heights are now 25.7 +or- .03

Through a lot of my reading on here, I read about bench sync'ing the carbs and that you should be able to fit a small piece of wire under the butterfly's.

When I went to check this on mine, I found that the butterflies were completely closed. It actually took 4.5 turns on the idle screw to get them open enough to get a single piece of cat5e wire stripped under them.

In the morning I am going to see about building some sort of fuel supply jug with the 2 nipples on it for starting and tuning/sync'ing the bike up. I won't have the parts to my petcock until tues or weds.

I am hoping to get everything re-installed tomorrow and get the bike fired up and tested.

Thank you
              79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Here's a better method.... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36021

What you're looking for here is that each butterfly is open the same; that will get you close for a vacuum sync. If they're open too far, the bike will run too fast to be able to do a proper sync.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Yes sir, bench syncing really helps. I like to use a small diameter drill bit as opposed to wire cause wire is soft and can gall easily throwing off your measurements. Or, you can eye ball it in really close to. Sometimes I'll just use a flashlight and set em so I begin to see light at the same time when they open. Either way it'll be close enough to start with.
                  "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

I did mine like Steve said, set them in the middle of first hole, just eyeballing got me close enough to get the motor running ...
                    Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Now the petcocks leak

The Saga continues. Carbs are all set now syncronized and everything, but the petcocks drip. I am under the assumption that with the gas tank off the bike, the petcocks in the off position, there shouldn't be any drips coming from the nipples - is this correct?

I have replaced the o-ring on the handle and the wave washer. The inner rubber gasket with the 4 holes looked good.

I am guessing I need to replace that too now. There aren't any other pieces further inside are there?
                      79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Does anybody know where I can purchase these rubber gaskets?

79 xs1100 special.

I am also in search of a working OCTY for it too.

Thank you,

Steve
                        79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Ebay seller Georgefix sells a rebuild kit that takes care of both petcocks and the octy. 20 some bucks I think.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by unicorncomputer View Post
                            The Saga continues. Carbs are all set now syncronized and everything, but the petcocks drip. I am under the assumption that with the gas tank off the bike, the petcocks in the off position, there shouldn't be any drips coming from the nipples - is this correct?

I have replaced the o-ring on the handle and the wave washer. The inner rubber gasket with the 4 holes looked good.
                            Yep, you need rebuild kits. You can get just the internal washers, but if you replaced the handle seals with generic o-rings the seals in the kit will be a better fit.

Also make sure your petcocks aren't corroded internally or at least badly. I've seen some that look fine on the outside but were trashed inside. And make sure the interior surface on the handle is smooth; wet-sand it with some 600 grit (or finer if you have it) paper. Roughness or pitting there can cause leaks...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Everything looked good inside, no corrosion, didn't see any pitting, but I can give it a blast of wet sand.

The oring and wave washer, I bought directly from Yamaha - not generic.

I currently do not have the OCTY Diaphram, it has been removed prior to my getting the bike.

Steve
                              79 XS1100 SF

Comment

yep, fix those petcocks if you don't have octy, and remember to shut them off when not in use...I left mine on, when on a side stand, fuel overflowed carb #1 and went into my airbox(I had a front wheel up on 4X4 just for that reason), but it ruined my brand new K&N air filter
                                Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Working...
                                X