Cam Chain adjustment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
    NOW, with the auto-tensioner, that bugger will take up every bit of slack you give it, but won't give any back. So, the center bolt has to be removed to do the cam juggling, right? Will there be enough slack to raise a cam? Or, do I have to remove the whole damn thing? If anyone has done this, please chime in.
    Good point, and a downside to the CCT. You'll have to completely remove the CCT because the plunger 'latch' is spring loaded and even with the main spring out still won't retract. Unless it's possible to get to the latch with the cam cover removed...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
      Good point, and a downside to the CCT.
      It isn't really a downside though. It's only two allen bolts to remove the complete CCT. I just did my shims and took the tensioner completely out in less than 60 seconds.
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Yep, good thread. And good point Randy.

My little question (so I don't have to pour over all the other threads) is which auto tensioner is the one which bolts right on with no hole modification. As I recall, this would be either the Venture (or Venturer?) or the VMax units?

Anybody have an extra good one?
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

The Venture and V-Max units are the same part, it's the Vision CCT that needs the hole mod. The other difference is the Vision tensioner's spring is much closer to the same rate as OEM, while the Venture/V-Max spring is stiffer. That may or may not effect the wear on the cam chain guide...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            The Venture and V-Max units are the same part, it's the Vision CCT that needs the hole mod. The other difference is the Vision tensioner's spring is much closer to the same rate as OEM, while the Venture/V-Max spring is stiffer. That may or may not effect the wear on the cam chain guide...
            Thanks Steve....

So has any excessive wear been reported? Again, I don't recall hearing of any yet.
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

Either one Dean. The only issue I've seen is the surrounding casting on SOME of the XS's and the overall outside diemension of the auto adjuster can cause one to think it is tightened and seated only to see an oil leak which indicates it isn't. Just going back and re-tightening the allen bolts seating it solves that problem. The original allen bolts ARE a bit too long and if possible use the allen bolts that may come with tensioner. Otherwise 3/16-1/4" must be cut off the original bolts as the threaded holes ARE a "bottom" hole. The difference in casting thickness can be seen with the good pics that James put up on this thread of the two adjusters aside each other. Didn't run into this issue on my Venturer, but on two more XS's(3-Phase & a neighbor friend) that I was present when the swap was made apparently had the shoulder of the recessed area not quite as finely finished as some......just my experience......
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                So has any excessive wear been reported? Again, I don't recall hearing of any yet.
                Nope, nobody has come back with any wear issues, just mentioned that for the more paranoid among us...

Both seem to work equally well, there's just a bit more fiddlin' on install with the Vision CCT...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

The V-Max and the Venturer are straight bolt on. It is def. necessary to shorten the allen bolts, or better still use shorter bolts, because the casting on the auto CCT is thinner. I had to do that. If you go and use the originals, there is a definite likelihood that you'll strip the threads when you come to tighten up fully.

I used clear bathroom silicone sealer on the gasket face after cleaning both gasket faces and degreasing them. Just a thin smear. No problems with it at all, I've found.

I can't say I noticed any abnormal wear on the top chain guide when I did the shims. The spring tension is stronger but not by much and I'm betting it doesn't matter at all.
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

How the freak do I post the PDF file of the cct adjustment procedure that I have, that started this thread?
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Can someone please explain why I/we cannot post attachments? Or should I say, who do I need to contact to allow me to do so?
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

You can post links, but the site won't accept attachments. Best bet is to convert it to a photo, then upload it to a 'open' photo-hosting site like photobucket, then provide a link in your post to the pic.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Gotcha Crazy Steve.

For the element of clarity, below is a copied line from the FAQ's when I do a search for "attachments"...

"The administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this forum, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make, as the forums should not be used as an extension of your hard disk!"

For clarification, it appears attachments are an option, otherwise what is the purpose of the messages "you may post new threads", "you may post replies" "you man not post attachments" and "you may edit posts".

That along with the quote from FAQ's seems to indicate it is a possibility.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Hey Howard,

Sorry, but due to limited server space and bandwidth, etc., the attachments option has not be activated, and won't be. Also, we tried to turn it on, but it never worked anyways...Open Source Code for the site!

So...regrettably, as Steve stated, just convert it into a JPG, or just take a photo of it in JPG format, and put it on a photo hosting site....ie. photobucket, and then you'll be able to link to that site on here, either as a LINK, or even an embedded photo that will show in the post!

T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey, sweet... An answer straight from the top!

Good deal, I'll take a pic of it, then photobucket it.

Thanks much!
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Another option is to print it and then scan it. Then you can upload it to Photobucket or whatever photo hosting site you use. Just sayin'
                                2H7 (79)
                                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                                X