No announcement yet.

Cam Chain adjustment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I'm missing something with Photobucket, but once I scan it (which I did) it is in a pdf format, and Photobucket won't recognize it to download. That leads me to belive it has to be in a jpg format for Photobucket, not a pdf.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Try this...

Handwritten in the good old days, stapled over the factory manual page that shows the "standard" way to do this.

Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Ouch, got a crick in my neck reading it!

Thanks Howard,

Next time perhaps you'll rotate the image before uploading it!

Well, back in the "day" as well as now, time was money, and saving minutes doing maintanence might have paid off for the shop that he worked in, being able to possibly add/do one more 30 minute job after doing a few of these "quick" CCT adjustments?!

Glad it's been working for you, hope it continues to do so. YMMV to others that might consider this versus the manual/by the book procedure.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thought it had rotated... Dang user error...
          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Try this again...

Thanks for all the discussion.

If you are concerned about what "might" happen, then don't do it. However, it does not mean (as discussed and verbalized here) one way over the other is better in terms of the outcome, which is a properly tensioned cam chain.

With that said, is it mechanically possible for a cam chain adjusted with the method I've talked about to be more properly tensioned than using the static method?

Just askin'...
            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Crap! Dang picture is rotated in my photobucket account but won't transfer as rotated. Sorry for the undue neck tension in craning to see it...
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Rotating photo

Yeah, I, too, see the thumbnail as properly turned, but the original photo is still on it's side! It would be a bit more work, but you could edit/rotate it in your computer's photo editting program...even Windows Paint will do it, then delete the original on photobucket, and then reupload the photo with the same NAME, and it should Re-Link just fine and will be properly turned!

Guess the next time YOU need to adjust or check your valve shim/lash, you could perform the adjustment idling adjustment first. Then pull the cam cover, and check how much actual slack you could pull up between the cams. Then perform the STATIC adjustment, and recheck the slack to see if you get more or less, and then you/we'll know if it's better or equivical, or not as good!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have no problem adjusting my modified stock tensioner with the engine running, now if I can only get it to stop leaking

2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Checked the valves right after putting 1025 miles on the bike in 3 days for the Colorado Rally in July. The cam chain was nice and tight, I checked it, not knowing that knowledge would come in handy at this point, but it was a sweet looking cam chain, as well there was not a spec of varnish or anything in the valve train or on the valve cover. So, by all counts this method of adjusting doesn't seem to compromise cam chain tension one bit. I would think, to my mind, doing the cam chain tension at idle would get it as tight as it could get.

Maybe that's why this bike is doing so well valve-train wise compared to bikes that are talked about as having worn chains with the standard adjustment performed, the cam chain is adjusted better/tighter. I'm just under 20,000 original miles for what it's worth. And oil changes with 15w-40 every 2000-2500 miles, filter every other change.

CaptonZap could chime in if he's around, he was there assisting in the adjustment. He just keeps shaking his head each time we dig into any part of my bike "It just shouldn't be this CLEAN or tight" is what he mutters...

I don't think the valves had been checked or adjusted since early in the bike's life, so the fact all exhaust valves were in the middle of spec, and the intakes were all on the min side of spec (but no room to go lower) I'd say it's a mighty healthy valvetrain on the whole. Adjusted all the intakes to the middle of spec and should be good for a while to come.

I'm a fortunate guy to have picked up this bike in the shape it was in 3.5 years ago, and for what it's worth have not had any in-line 4 cyl engine that was as smooth as this one, not even close (Bandit 1200, ZRX 1200). A carb sync in Sept 2010 was the final touch, and it's one smooth runner.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Gaskets

Gaskets instead of RTV

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                      I have no problem adjusting my modified stock tensioner with the engine running, now if I can only get it to stop leaking

1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                        It isn't really a downside though. It's only two allen bolts to remove the complete CCT. I just did my shims and took the tensioner completely out in less than 60 seconds.
                        Some have shown that removing the CCT can end up with the chain off its sprockets. Mostly due to doing it improperly or on its side stand. As you say what is the downside, but to an lesser informed person than yourself there may be issues. I worry so much about my valve train that I am over cautious about what and how I do it but others get a "Git er dun" attitude.
                        It is a definite downside for the uniformed and more reckless of our members
                        2-79 XS1100 SF
                        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Yes Rasputin good tip, when removing the tensioner, ALWAYS have the bike on the centerstand and/or level. I have learned that the hard way.

OEM, it doesn't leak anymore, I used RTV in the defunct side lock down bolt.
                          Last edited by bikerphil; 12-31-2011, 12:27 AM.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Gaskets

Just kidding around, i have got picked on for saying, just buy the gasket, from so many who say, RTV is all you need

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                            Yes Rasputin good tip, when removing the tensioner, ALWAYS have the bike on the centerstand and/or level. I have learned that the hard way.

OEM, it doesn't leak anymore, I used RTV in the defunct side lock down bolt.
                            1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                            1980 XS1100 Special
                            1990 V Max
                            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                            1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                            1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Howard, unless you have an aftermarket (APE) tensioner or a home-made tensioner like Phil's, dynamic adjustment will never match static adjustment. If I was paying for the work I'd find another shop. Pronto. And I'd staple that mechanic's handwritten note to his boss' door while my money and I were running out of it.

There are some non-interference engines that might be safely adjusted while they're running at idle but adjusting an interference engine like the XS or XJ with its O.E.M. tensioner is a great way to stock up on spare parts for the next engine.

FWIW Roo (bobber) stopped by this afternoon with a freshly picked V-Max tensioner and I helped him install it with a new hand-cut gasket in less time than it took for him to brew a hot cup of tea. After a bit of spirited riding it's working fine with no noise, no leaks, and no drama.

That said, I'm still not entirely satisfied with the automatic tensioner. I'll be adding safety wire to the one on my bike so the spring retainer nut can't vibrate loose and fall out. I'll also remove the spring guide pin from the inside of the nut so I can drill and tap the center for a long bolt with a lock nut to backstop the tensioner piston. The spring will still be able to automatically push the piston out of its housing and keep tension on the timing chain but the timing chain won't be able to knock the piston back into its housing if the ratchet pawl slips or breaks.
                              -- Scott
                              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                              1979 XS1100F: parts
                              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Automatic CCT ratchet pawl slip

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                                Howard, unless you have an aftermarket (APE) tensioner or a home-made tensioner like Phil's, dynamic adjustment will never match static adjustment. If I was paying for the work I'd find another shop. Pronto. And I'd staple that mechanic's handwritten note to his boss' door while my money and I were running out of it.

There are some non-interference engines that might be safely adjusted while they're running at idle but adjusting an interference engine like the XS or XJ with its O.E.M. tensioner is a great way to stock up on spare parts for the next engine.

FWIW Roo (bobber) stopped by this afternoon with a freshly picked V-Max tensioner and I helped him install it with a new hand-cut gasket in less time than it took for him to brew a hot cup of tea. After a bit of spirited riding it's working fine with no noise, no leaks, and no drama.

That said, I'm still not entirely satisfied with the automatic tensioner. I'll be adding safety wire to the one on my bike so the spring retainer nut can't vibrate loose and fall out. I'll also remove the spring guide pin from the inside of the nut so I can drill and tap the center for a long bolt with a lock nut to backstop the tensioner piston. The spring will still be able to automatically push the piston out of its housing and keep tension on the timing chain but the timing chain won't be able to knock the piston back into its housing if the ratchet pawl slips or breaks.
                                In 1986 I bought a new Kawasaki Concours; in 1988 I sold it to my secretary~~she bought it for her boy friend, who also worked for me, and was a fairly accomplished motorcyclist and mechanic. I sold it cuz I had bought a new 1989 VMax. The Concours was in fairly mint condition with about 5000 miles on it when I sold it to the folks; they went everywhere; he "hot-rodded" it pretty strong, but did maintain it fairly well. In 1990 they went to Sturgis on it; on the way back, coming around thru Colorado, the CCT ratchet pawl must have failed. Long story short~~they caught a bus home, took his pickup to Colorado, loaded the Concours and brought it back to Arkansas. I got the story about a year after the incident from the guy; story was that when the CCT gave out, engine had a lot of "racket"~~he didn't really want to tear into it on the road, and at the time he was not sure "what to look for". I think they did luck out~~no valve damage~~and got by with replacing the CCT.
                                JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
                                7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Working...
                                X