cylinders honed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi XS1100_OEM4ME,
    "I know it is after the fact, but before honneing, you should use a ridge reamer"

i agree with u totally, other than the ridge reaming and ball honing
    i did exactly as u mentioned, not my first engine rebuild either.
    i did mention the ridge reamer in an earlier post,
    i did this job on the cheap and wanted to use what i already had,
    i had the cylinder honer, the honing balls arent really necessary, they
    do help with the running in of the rings sooner and give a finer cross hatch,
    its not a necesity and using the stones isnt a problem,

Originally posted by petejw View Post
    honing,
    if you were to do it properly
    theres a proper tool to remove only the top ridge groove
    you could use that prior to honing which would be a better/proper
    way of doing it, but again im doing this on the cheap and dont have
    the tool.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

ridge present, a ridge reamer IS necessary. Honing, creating a cross-hatch pattern is done so as to trap oil on the cyl. sides for good lubrication.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        ridge present, a ridge reamer IS necessary. Honing, creating a cross-hatch pattern is done so as to trap oil on the cyl. sides for good lubrication.
        not really, a ridge reamer is usally used to remove carbon
        from the top of the cylinder bore, this is more important
        in cars where the piston slides out from the top of the cylinder
        to prevent broken rings,
        compared to a bikes engine where the pistons are removed
        from the bottom of the cylinder.

if ur only removing carbon from the top of the cylinder, then that can be done by using other means other than a reamer,

depending on the miles of the engine if the bores are worn and has created a ridge, then the reamer would work, tho i got rid of the ridge
        with the honing stone.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

not really, a ridge reamer is usally used to remove carbon
          from the top of the cylinder bore, this is more important
          in cars where the piston slides out from the top of the cylinder
          to prevent broken rings,
          compared to a bikes engine where the pistons are removed
          from the bottom of the cylinder.

if ur only removing carbon from the top of the cylinder, then that can be done by using other means other than a reamer,

depending on the miles of the engine if the bores are worn and has created a ridge, then the reamer would work, tho i got rid of the ridge
          with the honing stone.
          It's also possible to break a top ring if the ridge isn't removed and a new set of rings is installed, particularly at the RPMs these engines run.

As the cylinder walls wear and a ridge is formed, the upper outer edge of the top ring wears also and becomes rounded. New rings with sharp square edges can slam into the ridge when the piston tops out and has been known to break rings and/or pistons.

Pete is correct though. Except in extreme cases the ridge can usually be honed out.
          Last edited by BA80; 10-30-2011, 07:57 AM.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Ah, guys, maybe a short primer on engine building in order here. First, a cylinder is sealed PRIMARILY by the piston, the rings are backup and oil control. Excessive clearance will have blow by even with new rings. Second, a piston will expand until it touches the cylinder wall (yes there is a thin coat of oil that prevents hard contact). There's a lot of heat absorbed by the piston crown. The only way that slug can rid itself of that heat is by close contact to the wall. Now with too much clearance the slug won't be round anymore, therefor no seal! It will also rock (slap) letting the rings rock in the bore. Again, no seal. It's not a good idea to hone a cylinder then use a worn piston. Quite possible to have a piston seize because blow by will actually melt the ring lands. A ring ridge WILL break rings and piston lands. As rod bearings wear the piston will travel upward a thou or so farther as the engine wears. New rings will be a bit thicker (no wear) and will make heavy contact with that ridge.
            Sorry about the rant. I've been building engines for a living for more than 50 years. I guess I can get a little anal about the subject. Don't mean to bust someone's chops. If I offended, I apologize in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by skipper View Post
              Ah, guys, maybe a short primer on engine building in order here. First, a cylinder is sealed PRIMARILY by the piston, the rings are backup and oil control. Excessive clearance will have blow by even with new rings. Second, a piston will expand until it touches the cylinder wall (yes there is a thin coat of oil that prevents hard contact). There's a lot of heat absorbed by the piston crown. The only way that slug can rid itself of that heat is by close contact to the wall. Now with too much clearance the slug won't be round anymore, therefor no seal! It will also rock (slap) letting the rings rock in the bore. Again, no seal. It's not a good idea to hone a cylinder then use a worn piston. Quite possible to have a piston seize because blow by will actually melt the ring lands. A ring ridge WILL break rings and piston lands. As rod bearings wear the piston will travel upward a thou or so farther as the engine wears. New rings will be a bit thicker (no wear) and will make heavy contact with that ridge.
              Sorry about the rant. I've been building engines for a living for more than 50 years. I guess I can get a little anal about the subject. Don't mean to bust someone's chops. If I offended, I apologize in advance.
              Thanks skipper. I've been rebuilding engines 30+ years for a living myself.

I agree with most of what you've said however, used piston or not, the cylinders must be honed to insure proper seating of the rings. This is quite important since the majority of the heat is transferred from the piston to the cylinder wall THROUGH the rings and to optimize the seal of the rings.

A new set of rings on an unhoned cylinder wall is just wasted time and money.

This isn't my opinion, it's fact. Don't mean to bust your chops either.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Greg, you're right about the honing of course. Guess I was a bit vague. What I meant was that it sounded as though the cylinders were honed far enough to remove a ring ridge then used pistons installed. Ouch! Believe it or not, we commonly replace rings and pistons in my grand daughters rail at the track without honing, rings seat fine. 'Course they only last about two miles.

Comment

Greg, you're right about the honing of course. Guess I was a bit vague. What I meant was that it sounded as though the cylinders were honed far enough to remove a ring ridge then used pistons installed. Ouch! Believe it or not, we commonly replace rings and pistons in my grand daughters rail at the track without honing, rings seat fine. 'Course they only last about two miles.
                  Yeah, when an engine isn't expected to last you can cut some corners like that. Hell, the cross hatch hasn't even had a chance to wear off in that situation. I used to build engines for our modified stock car back in the day and it's amazing what you can get away with when all your worried about is getting through the show.

The cylinder taper on these old engines will rarely exceed .010 ie;.005 max lip and knocking it down with a hone is a common practice. Granted the proper way is to bore and fit the pistons but we own these bikes because we are cheap a$$es and don't want to, or can't, lay out the cash for such things.

Agreed, not exactly according to Hoyle but is acceptable.

It's pretty difficult to justify $2000 in machine work and parts for a $500 motorcycle. Some do it though.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

It's not a good idea to hone a cylinder then use a worn piston. Quite possible to have a piston seize because blow by will actually melt the ring lands. A ring ridge WILL break rings and piston lands. As rod bearings wear the piston will travel upward a thou or so farther as the engine wears. New rings will be a bit thicker (no wear) and will make heavy contact with that ridge.
                    hi skipper,
                    theres nothing wrong with a good discussion,
                    its all good,

whats wrong with using a used piston if
                    its within specs, ive done many more engine rebuilds
                    without replacing pistons than i have replaced them,
                    and i think weve all agreed about the ring ridges
                    braking piston rings, was the reason i honed the cylinders
                    more to rid them.

so far so good with my engine, shes running sweet
                    and not burning any oil so im wrapped.
                    Last edited by petejw; 10-30-2011, 10:51 PM.
                    pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots

Comment

without replacing pistons than i have replaced them
                      +1 Pete.............
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Pete

hey Pete, I think your cyls look great Everyone has their own way of comming up with the same result, a great running motor I am guessing you used the honeing stones in such a way to put all the presure on the ridge till it was gone, then finished the hone of the walls and i am sure she runs great i have noticed the piston skirts on these bikes are short compaired to alot of motors I have worked on, making the tolarences more importaint, but she runs great so you must be fine, enjoy
                        hi skipper,
                        theres nothing wrong with a good discussion,
                        its all good,

without replacing pistons than i have replaced them,
                        and i think weve all agreed about the ring ridges
                        braking piston rings, was the reason i honed the cylinders
                        more to rid them.

so far so good with my engine, shes running sweet
                        and not burning any oil so im wrapped.
                        1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                        1980 XS1100 Special
                        1990 V Max
                        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                        1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                        1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Not overkill IMO

Those look great I don't think it is overkill at all, especialy the pollishing job. In my racing days, the high preformance pistons of the day were polished to look almost chrome They will resist carbon almost forever, and stop pre detonation, all great stuff and worth the time IMO, GREAT JOB
                          thanx rick,

for the ring grooves, i broke an old ring and used that to
                          clean the grooves,

i used a wire wheel (worn/used) on the grinder gently
                          for the tops of the pistons,

inside the pistons i used oven cleaner, this stuff is strong
                          so i let it sit for 5-10 min before rinsing but needed to do
                          it a couple of times then used a scourer.

for the oil holes (there was a few that were blocked) i used
                          a small drill bit that fitted neatly inside the hole.

i then used a buffer to polish the tops and sides,
                          overkill? probably but turned out pretty good and hopefully will prevent carbon from sticking.
                          1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                          1980 XS1100 Special
                          1990 V Max
                          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Working...
                          X