No announcement yet.

Gas Cap Seal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some rubber reacts to acetone very funny-it will either swell up,dissolve,or stay the same.I think acetone is more hazardous than fuel-and more flammable!
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Well not sure how well this will hold up but since I'm rebuilding two of these machines I picked up two of them today. FANTASTIC MOD!!!!!!!! Fit's perfect .. seals well.

And at 1.99 /ea it doesn't have to last another 30 years. You can buy a whole box of them for what the oem replacement cost. Even the one mixesxs sells is $8 bucks and shipping.

Good find my man ....
      My Stable:

2006 Triumph Bonneville Black
      1979 Yamaha XS11 Special (2 of them)
      1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special
      1981 Suzuki GS550 E
      1976 Honda CB550F Supersport

Comment

Have you ever made the mistake of using vacuum hose for gas line? Very few rubber compounds stand up to todays gas. If your tanks are painted with polyurethane paint, then all you will need to consider is your crotch. I would recommend tossing one of those thermostat gaskets in a container of gas and let it soak for a day or so to see if it will hold up. J.M.H.O.

Deny
        1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
        1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
          Thanks DGXSER,

That part of the fiddling is coming up on my bike. However, do you think that gasket fit the standard cap?
          Hi late,
          the tank seal from MikesXS fits the Special and the Standard XS11. Most of the cap's innards swap too, including the lock mechanism which is good if you are swapping tanks and don't want to deal with two keys that look just the same. BTW, so that's what those 3 screws are for? I tossed them as serving no useful purpose. My fuel cap teardown showed those inner filter discs to be totally missing. Don't seem to bother the cap any.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by DenyP View Post
            Have you ever made the mistake of using vacuum hose for gas line? Very few rubber compounds stand up to todays gas. If your tanks are painted with polyurethane paint, then all you will need to consider is your crotch. I would recommend tossing one of those thermostat gaskets in a container of gas and let it soak for a day or so to see if it will hold up. J.M.H.O.

Deny
            reasonable idea .....
            My Stable:

1981 Suzuki GS550 E

Comment

I picked one of these Fel-Pro thermostat housing gaskets today and I'm gonna soak it in gas for a while and see what happens. BTW, the car application for it is an 85-95 Toyota Camry, 4 cyl.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                I picked one of these Fel-Pro thermostat housing gaskets today and I'm gonna soak it in gas for a while and see what happens. BTW, the car application for it is an 85-95 Toyota Camry, 4 cyl.
                Picked up one myself today too, along with some emory cloth for that lovely rust on mine. Anxiously awaiting your results and a lazy weekend afternoon.
                1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
                2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

Alright, I feel like a new man!

Before:

In between:

After:

Tools:
                  That screw driver you see poking out in the last picture
                  A little flat screw driver to help with the clip
                  Emory cloth multi-pak from harbor frieght
                  My hands
                  SWMBO's hands to hold the spring down while I put the clip back on

Time:
                  1:20

I couldn't get all the rust out as I have no power sander or dremmel tool, but I'm not sure even that would have worked completely. However, there is a whole lot less!

Now to put it on and see if the gas tank will stop singing after a quick ride around town!

Comment

A moped? You own a moped?

Hi Drake,
                    you ask " 2004 RCM-50GL since 2008 (if you've ever heard of this, please tell me)"
                    I Googled 2004 RCM-50 GL and got 7 hits. This is the first:-
                    http://www.mopedriders.org/search.ph...thor=pickle965
                    Your post above was hit#3.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ok, I soaked one of these Fel-Pro gaskets in gasoline for a couple of days. No problems, held up fine.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                        Ok, I soaked one of these Fel-Pro gaskets in gasoline for a couple of days. No problems, held up fine.
                        SAWEET ...

now I'm just feeling bold. Let's get some E85 next and see how long it will last
                        My Stable:

1981 Suzuki GS550 E

Comment

Corn gas

Originally posted by res1uqtp View Post
                          SAWEET ...

now I'm just feeling bold. Let's get some E85 next and see how long it will last
                          Can we even run corn gas in our bikes? Anyways, why would you want to limit range even further?

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                            Hi Drake,
                            you ask " 2004 RCM-50GL since 2008 (if you've ever heard of this, please tell me)"
                            I Googled 2004 RCM-50 GL and got 7 hits. This is the first:-
                            http://www.mopedriders.org/search.ph...thor=pickle965
                            Your post above was hit#3.
                            Hey thanks.
                            I suppose you might call it a moped, but if you check out my other bike post you'll see it can go a little faster than most mopeds, and it has no pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by res1uqtp View Post
                              SAWEET ...

Next I'm gonna soak that F'er in some acetone, see how it does.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

Phil,

Thanks for running the test. Like i said, I know mine has seen and experienced gasoline and acetone, but not soaked in it. Great to know it is a long term fix though.

Drake,
                                some areas are using higher percentages of ehtanol and or E-85 if you want it or not. It is supposed to be much worse than gasoline on such parts.
                                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                                93 GSX600F
                                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                                81 XS1100 Special
                                81 CB750 C
                                80 CB750 C
                                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                                X